Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Blu Ray User

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   freeX4Xall

freeX4Xall

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I recently purchased a Blu Ray player for the first time but am not unfamiliar with the Blu Ray tecnhology at all. Main reason, a lot of movies that I enjoy are not and probably will never be licensed to Netflix & Hulu Plus, particularly Star Wars.

Main reason for posting (and after moderate research) and cannot find codes for my Blu Ray player and universal remote.

I will give the exact model number of my universal remote and blu ray player, both considered low end/low budget in the home entertainment category.

Universal Remote: Vizio 3 Device Univ. Remote - Model No: XRU110

Blu Ray Player: Sony Blu Ray - Model: S-185

In my manual they list everything but Blu Ray, however they do list Sony Laser Disc codes.... I've also attempted to use some codes that were given but just the fact that my "universal" remote isn't the best, I wouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't be compatible.

Any suggested codes and/or know of codes to program?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

This might be good to put under the Misc. equipment thread with it being a remote code question in the title. Might get the attention of the right people, like Edmund.

Though a mod would then need to close this one.

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,466 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Unfortunately, most universal remotes don't handle the current generation of Blu-ray players. Your only recourse is to get a learning remote and teach it from the Sony remote.
Even then, you'd have to go with a remote such as the Harmony line in order to be able to view device specific commands. You'd probably be best served by dealing with the Sony remote. I've found this to be the case with 5 Blu'ray players in my household.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Unfortunately, most universal remotes don't handle the current generation of Blu-ray players. Your only recourse is to get a learning remote and teach it from the Sony remote

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Get a quality remote and this won't be an issue. Vizio? Get a Logtech Harmony...even the very cheap one will work for you.
DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

But is there any risk to getting a Harmony? I know what Logitech says, but it still makes me nervous.

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

But is there any risk to getting a Harmony? I know what Logitech says, but it still makes me nervous.

What risk could there be? You can get a cheap one for $30-$50. The database and software aren't going anywhere. Even after being sold off, the basic commands for devices don't change from year to year. You can use the device remote and the software to teach them anything that is missing. Or go get a URC remote. All the other brands are worthless in comparison.

Edited by Hoosier205, 29 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

What risk are we talking about? Did Creative dump the remote line?

Don "must be living under a rock I guess" Bolton

What risk could their be? You can get a cheap one for $30-$50. The database and software aren't going anywhere. Even after being sold off, the basic commands for devices don't change from year to year. You can use the device remote and the software to teach them anything that is missing. Or go get a URC remote. All the other brands are worthless in comparison.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

What risk are we talking about? Did Creative dump the remote line?

Don "must be living under a rock I guess" Bolton

Creative? No one has dumped a remote line. Logitech is selling it.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,754 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yeah just found that thread. And sorry I mixed my peripheral suppliers names.

I have 13 of the Harmony remotes most being the 650 or 700 models. Love their flexibility and having one remote to run it all. Hope it finds a new home that will add more innovation and drive the pricing down on 8 device units.

Don "apparently my thought logitech thought it was being creative but instaid it was being dumb" Bolton

Creative? No one has dumped a remote line. Logitech is selling it.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#11 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I recently purchased a Blu Ray player for the first time but am not unfamiliar with the Blu Ray tecnhology at all. Main reason, a lot of movies that I enjoy are not and probably will never be licensed to Netflix & Hulu Plus, particularly Star Wars.

Main reason for posting (and after moderate research) and cannot find codes for my Blu Ray player and universal remote.

I will give the exact model number of my universal remote and blu ray player, both considered low end/low budget in the home entertainment category.

Universal Remote: Vizio 3 Device Univ. Remote - Model No: XRU110

Blu Ray Player: Sony Blu Ray - Model: S-185

In my manual they list everything but Blu Ray, however they do list Sony Laser Disc codes.... I've also attempted to use some codes that were given but just the fact that my "universal" remote isn't the best, I wouldn't be surprised that they wouldn't be compatible.

Any suggested codes and/or know of codes to program?

Why not use the D* remote? I have always had Sony AV sets. They all seem to have the same code. I think.

If you have a 24 and use the X remote, it should have a list of codes based on model numbers or you can search for the code with the remote and the 24 doing all the work.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

In the manual for your universal, under dvd codes theres brand named, Blu-Ray. I doubt there was ever dvd brand called Blu-ray, its just how they list it, since you use dvd device for the Blu ray codes. The first code listed for Sony under dvd, is code 1396, its also listed under the Blu-Ray brand. Give it a try.

Edited by Edmund, 01 February 2013 - 12:52 AM.

aka Tivoburkee

Protected By... spam firewall...And...