Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price changes?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I did some quick searching, but maybe I am missing the thread discussing this. Did Dish just up their pricing?

I have the Top 120 package and it was $44.99/month. And my DVR fee was $6. My brand new bill suddenly shows Top 120 at $49.99/month -- and a DVR fee of $7.

Was this announced and well known? I guess I haven't been paying attention lately...

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

See DISH Price Increase announced started on December 19.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks -- I must not have went back far enough through the threads since no one had said anything in there for almost a month (which is a little odd, since lots of people would be getting those first bills with the change over the past couple of weeks).

In any case, thanks!

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks -- I must not have went back far enough through the threads since no one had said anything in there for almost a month (which is a little odd, since lots of people would be getting those first bills with the change over the past couple of weeks).

In any case, thanks!

- John...

Yes, we'll start to see some posts. But there's not much to say that wasn't said in the earlier thread.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Dish usually announces their price increases in December with it going into effect with your January billing.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,334 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I received the mailing on it a couple of weeks ago ... separate from any bill.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Me too.

Also, I added that info to the FAQ a few weeks ago.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Never got any acknowledgement of a price increase, wouldn't have known if it wasn't for this forum. :)

Oh, yeah, and the bill.

#9 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

I get my bills online so I never get a mailed announcement. If not for DBSTALK I still wouldn't know about the price increase. Still haven't figured out what it's going to cost me. Won't see it in my bill for another 4 weeks.

I've said it before but I wish DISH would send an email or letter explaining exactly how my bill is going to change when they raise prices. This is the computer age. How hard could it be?

#10 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I have online autopay billing and i got a packet from Dish explaining it yesterday.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I did some quick searching, but maybe I am missing the thread discussing this. Did Dish just up their pricing?

I have the Top 120 package and it was $44.99/month. And my DVR fee was $6. My brand new bill suddenly shows Top 120 at $49.99/month -- and a DVR fee of $7.

Was this announced and well known? I guess I haven't been paying attention lately...

- John...

$5 more a month.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

i just got my notice today and called customer service (a complete waste of time). if you have a locked in two ear contract like me, i suggest making a complaint with the better business bureau. i have done this in the past with very good results, not just with dish. dish, like any company or person should live up to agreements they make. if enough people complain, they will lose that A- BBB rating that they list on the packet i got today and maybe they will change their completely one sided policy about two year contracts. i am completely happy with their product, but things like this should not be part of any business practice.

i just checked the BBB website and found this about dish. maybe this helps.

Dish Network encourages consumers to contact Dish Network's designated customer relations contact at their Executive Offices, who can be reached at 1-888 826-8137 prior to filing a complaint through our office. Dish Network has committed to address these calls by providing consumers with an adequate response within two business days.

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

i just got my notice today and called customer service (a complete waste of time). if you have a locked in two ear contract like me, i suggest making a complaint with the better business bureau. i have done this in the past with very good results, not just with dish. dish, like any company or person should live up to agreements they make. if enough people complain, they will lose that A- BBB rating that they list on the packet i got today and maybe they will change their completely one sided policy about two year contracts. i am completely happy with their product, but things like this should not be part of any business practice.

Dish Network encourages consumers to contact Dish Network's designated customer relations contact at their Executive Offices, who can be reached at 1-888 826-8137 prior to filing a complaint through our office. Dish Network has committed to address these calls by providing consumers with an adequate response within two business days.

The BBB? Now that's funny! What a racket that is. You pay for a rating. You do not earn it.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

The BBB? Now that's funny! What a racket that is. You pay for a rating. You do not earn it.

i believe you pay to be accredited, not rated.

http://www.bbb.org/d...glewood-co-6370

#15 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

i believe you pay to be accredited, not rated.

http://www.bbb.org/d...glewood-co-6370

No. It's a crooked organization. Do some research on it.
DTV = Digital Television

#16 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

i just got my notice today and called customer service (a complete waste of time). if you have a locked in two ear contract like me,

I don't remember Dish ever doing a 2-year locked in pricing deal.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#17 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I don't remember Dish ever doing a 2-year locked in pricing deal.

what would you call a two year deal (you pay $xx.xx for the first 12 months, $xx.xx for the last 12 months, along with the other fees agreed to) that you can't cancel unless you pay a cancellation fee?

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Can you show me a document that says Dish will lock in your payment? Rarely do they do that. Many confuse the promo price as locked in, it's not, what is locked in however is whatever less you are paying than the regular price. If you were paying $10 less a month, you still will.

And I'm with the others. BBB? Lmao.

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'd call that the standard deal and it doesn't give you a price guarantee. Read the TOS and you'll see that they can (and often do) change things around and that you agreed to when you signed up.

Basically you've signed up for 1st year discounts from whatever the retail price is, they do tend to not raise your cost during that first year, but there is nothing in the contract that forces them to do that. And the second year is at whatever the 2nd year retail price is.

Again, they may or may not have some price protection deal put into place, but they are under no requirement to do so since the offer didn't guarantee that.

That said, I do think that if they require you to have a 2 year contract, it should be at a fixed price. It just doesn't happen that way.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#20 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Can you show me a document that says Dish will lock in your payment? Rarely do they do that. Many confuse the promo price as locked in, it's not, what is locked in however is whatever less you are paying than the regular price. If you were paying $10 less a month, you still will.

And I'm with the others. BBB? Lmao.

so that means i can cancel my service and two year contract (giving up any futuer discount) with out paying a penalty?

spam firewall