Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price changes?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

what would you call a two year deal (you pay $xx.xx for the first 12 months, $xx.xx for the last 12 months, along with the other fees agreed to) that you can't cancel unless you pay a cancellation fee?

...that's called a term commitment. Your price is not locked.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Nope, doesn't mean that at all.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

so that means i can cancel my service and two year contract (giving up any futuer discount) with out paying a penalty?

No, but that is different from a price lock.
DTV = Digital Television

#24 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

That said, I do think that if they require you to have a 2 year contract, it should be at a fixed price. It just doesn't happen that way.

that's my point. it is a VERY deceptive business practice and completely one sided! it's been going on for a long time and some govt agency should look into it. i don't have any problem with a company raising fees, but it has to be done when the consumer has the option to purchase from someone else.

#25 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

"ONLINE BONUS
Congratulations! With your completed online purchase, you’ll be eligible for the automatic Online Bonus Credit shown below, saving you up to $25 off your monthly programming package price each month for 12 months".

#26 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

"ONLINE BONUS
Congratulations! With your completed online purchase, you’ll be eligible for the automatic Online Bonus Credit shown below, saving you up to $25 off your monthly programming package price each month for 12 months".

where is the part about our advertised price means absolutely nothing. ;)

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

that's my point. it is a VERY deceptive business practice and completely one sided! it's been going on for a long time and some govt agency should look into it. i don't have any problem with a company raising fees, but it has to be done when the consumer has the option to purchase from someone else.

This tells me that you do not understand the reason for the two year commitment.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

This tells me that you do not understand the reason for the two year commitment.

let's see. you get a discount for the first 12 months, then pay full price for the next 12. if there wasn't a 24 month agreement, people would cancel after the first 12 months. i have absolutely no problem with this. my issue is with raising fees AFTER what i believe most people think a deal was agreed to. it's very deceptive and should be looked into by some regulatory authority.

#29 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

If people fail at reading comprehension, it's not Dish's fault. it says right on the website, 'promotional price for 12 months with a 24 month agreement, monthly DVR and receiver fees apply'.

It's not deceptive when you can't read.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

let's see. you get a discount for the first 12 months, then pay full price for the next 12. if there wasn't a 24 month agreement, people would cancel after the first 12 months. i have absolutely no problem with this. my issue is with raising fees AFTER what i believe most people think a deal was agreed to. it's very deceptive and should be looked into by some regulatory authority.

How many decades of annual price increases must we have before it surprises you? You never had your price locked. You can choose to walk away when you wish. That option is part of what you agreed to. The provider is expected to hold up their end of the agreement, as are you. Their fees for providing you content go up each and every year and only so much of that will be absorbed.
DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

If people fail at reading comprehension, it's not Dish's fault. it says right on the website, 'promotional price for 12 months with a 24 month agreement, monthly DVR and receiver fees apply'.

It's not deceptive when you can't read.

like i said before, i have no problem with the agreed to 1-12 month, 13-24 month, receiver, and dvr fees. now where in your reading comprehension of what you posted does it say "we are going to raise your fees and you have no choice about it" during the time you can't get out of the contract? they don't because it would be hard to get new customers.

#32 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

How many decades of annual price increases must we have before it surprises you? You never had your price locked. You can choose to walk away when you wish. That option is part of what you agreed to. The provider is expected to hold up their end of the agreement, as are you. Their fees for providing you content go up each and every year and only so much of that will be absorbed.

i have no problem with a price increase AFTER the contract runs out or if someone is on a month to month.

you can't walk away without a charge when you have a 24 month agreement.

i am willing to live up to the 24 month agreement, dish isn't!

#33 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

why doesn't dish advertise "$15 off your first 12 months with a 24 month agreement of whatever price we decide to charge you"?? that's what they are actually doing. that wouldn't sell, so we will deceive customers.

no, the biggest part of their advertisement is their supposed price. like i said, deceptive!!!

to be fair, dish isn't the only provider that is deceptive about prices.

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

i am willing to live up to the 24 month agreement, dish isn't!

Of course they are. Please explain how they are not,
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

let's see. you get a discount for the first 12 months, then pay full price for the next 12.

Exactly ... that is precisely what you agreed to when you signed up for DISH and precisely what DISH is delivering.

They are giving you a DISCOUNT for 12 months ... not a set price that will not change but a discount for 12 months. And after the 12 months you will pay regular price ... whatever regular price is for that month of service.

Perhaps you want the words to mean different things ... but a discount for 12 months and full price after that is what DISH offers.

BTW: Based on the information in the original price increase thread ... If you have not completed your first 12 months DISH will give you credits equal to the price increase until the 12th month. This in effect gives you the price you agreed to ... not just the discount you accepted.

#36 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Of course they are. Please explain how they are not,

i got a notification in the mail today that the price i pay is going up $5 and $1 starting in feb. that's not the price when i started the 24 month agreement.

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

i got a notification in the mail today that the price i pay is going up $5 and $1 starting in feb. that's not the price when i started the 24 month agreement.

They never said the rate wouldn't change. That isn't part of the agreement. It's a commitment, not a price lock.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Exactly ... that is precisely what you agreed to when you signed up for DISH and precisely what DISH is delivering.

They are giving you a DISCOUNT for 12 months ... not a set price that will not change but a discount for 12 months. And after the 12 months you will pay regular price ... whatever regular price is for that month of service.

Perhaps you want the words to mean different things ... but a discount for 12 months and full price after that is what DISH offers.

BTW: Based on the information in the original price increase thread ... If you have not completed your first 12 months DISH will give you credits equal to the price increase until the 12th month. This in effect gives you the price you agreed to ... not just the discount you accepted.

dish shouldn't advertise a price if they don't intend to honor it, and that is the biggest print in their advertisements.

if they honor the original pricing for the term of my contract (not just half of it) then i have absolutely no problem and i hope you are correct. they can keep the price, but give an additional $6/month promotional discount for the remainder of the contract. this may be easier to do for their accounting purposes, and keep the final cost the same for the customer, keeping them happy.

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

dish shouldn't advertise a price if they don't intend to honor it, and that is the biggest print in their advertisements.

I tend to agree ... and that is why I was happy to see the credits for customers who were within their first 12 months of programming. Those customers saw advertisements of $24.99 for 12 months (or whatever the price was) and expect to pay $24.99 for the 12 months.

But where your demands fail is beyond 12 months. There is no promise that the price will be $49.99 (or whatever the current regular price was at time of purchase) after the 12 months. None at all.

If you have misunderstood the offer then take this as a moment of education. DBS and cable is not a cellphone plan. Prices go up practically every year regardless of provider. Fortunately the DBS providers have kept it down to one (or less) increase per year ... but with improvements in the programming they carry and price increases from the sources there is no way a DBS/cable provider can give you locked in prices forever.

#40 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I never received anything from them. Just showed up on the bill. I feel the value of this is no longer their. They have constantly just kept finding ways to up up the price. I used to pay $43 a month 15 years ago for dish, now it's $135. Only addition has been a dvr and hbo. My pay hasn't risen by this amount. Maybe it's time for an antenna.

spam firewall