Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price changes?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,932 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

i hope this it true, but there was nothing like this mentioned in the letter i received.

Are you in your first 12 months?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

lol.

I remember the very first contract I signed [with direct,] and they had a price increase after month 12, I thought the same way husker61 does now, [it wasn't what I signed up for].

Of course I was naive, and I sat down and read ALL the fine print.

It was there. They reserve the right to change at any time.

Always read the fine print:lol:

#53 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

yes

#54 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

lol.

I remember the very first contract I signed [with direct,] and they had a price increase after month 12, I thought the same way husker61 does now, [it wasn't what I signed up for].

Of course I was naive, and I sat down and read ALL the fine print.

It was there. They reserve the right to change at any time.

Always read the fine print:lol:

didn't banks get sued and loose because they changed mortgage rates on people? they were allowed to in those contracts (adjustable rates) and it didn't make any difference, they lost and payed big time. it was because they were deceptive about it, sound familiar? these co's should be very careful.

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,932 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

yes

Have you seen a "post increase" bill?

didn't banks get sued and loose because they changed mortgage rates on people? they were allowed to in those contracts (adjustable rates) and it didn't make any difference, they lost and payed big time. it was because they were deceptive about it, sound familiar? these co's should be very careful.

Perhaps ... and if you don't see a credit to offset the increase for the remainder of your first 12 months you may have a point. The big print "$24.99 per month for 12 months" should be honored. But when you reach the 13th month "regular price" sets in ... and you, like everyone else past their first 12 months, should expect to pay the current regular price.

I believe the suit that you suggest has already been filed and made it through the courts. It is the reason why I expect you will see the credit for the remainder of your first 12 months. And the reason why in month 13 DISH will be confident in charging you the full regular price.

#56 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Gotta love a mailing that has "A Special thank you from Dish" with a rate increase inside :lol:

#57 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well, I know what your saying, but, when you agree to terms and conditions by signing the contract, it is binding.
Of course you never see that contract until after the installation is done and the tech puts it under your nose to sign it so he can leave.

I have found that everytime I asked to see a contract [ like for extended warranties, as example] I get the run-around. Makes me crazy [ short trip] because these companies should be forth comming if they're legit.

I'm sure the legal team have gone over these, so, doesn't matter what we think.

#58 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I believe the agreements are available on the website. You could always download it and read it first.

#59 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

BINGO.

Dish homepage- legal-resedential agreement- "changes in services offered"

Pretty straightforward.

Thanks.

I have not found this to be the case for every business I have dealt with, however.

#60 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, DTV is the same. Their's is available at the website also. I'm not sure how people think if a providers price increase's to supply the product, how the price of the product will not also adjust to match.
--
I mean, simply apply it to any buisness. If you have a buisness to sell apples and your apple supplier starts charging you an extra 2$ per bushel, you would try and tell me you you wouldn't raise the cost of buying apples that your customers pay?

#61 OFFLINE   KakaduDreamer

KakaduDreamer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ugh! I got the "a special thank you" / oh-by-the-way here's a lovely price increase letter in the mail recently. It's annoying and yet I'm trying to recall the last time Dish implemented price increases on the programming. Seems like my monthly bill has stayed the same for at least several years. If its not an annual price increase situation I guess I'll just swallow the pill and accept it.

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Ugh! I got the "a special thank you" / oh-by-the-way here's a lovely price increase letter in the mail recently. It's annoying and yet I'm trying to recall the last time Dish implemented price increases on the programming. Seems like my monthly bill has stayed the same for at least several years. If its not an annual price increase situation I guess I'll just swallow the pill and accept it.

It's an annual event.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   KakaduDreamer

KakaduDreamer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's an annual event.

I'm sure you're right but still...I think I'll to go back and take a quick look at my Dish bill amounts over the past few years, only because I don't recall getting annoyed around this time last year about a price increase. This seemed like the first bump in quite a long awhile.

#64 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

It's an annual event.

maybe with directv it is
dish has not had an increase in 2 years

#65 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Dish had a price freeze for the last few years, that ended this year.

#66 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm sure you're right but still...I think I'll to go back and take a quick look at my Dish bill amounts over the past few years, only because I don't recall getting annoyed around this time last year about a price increase. This seemed like the first bump in quite a long awhile.

unlike other providers dish didn't increase their programming fees in the last 2 years.

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Believe that if you wish.
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

The price freeze on programming is a fact. My cost has actually gone down because fees are lower with my Hopper/Joey setup than with my 722/622/211. At least be factual with your incessant Dish bashing.

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

The price freeze on programming is a fact. My cost has actually gone down because fees are lower with my Hopper/Joey setup than with my 722/622/211. At least be factual with your incessant Dish bashing.

...as I said...believe what you wish. A lock in one place is made up for elsewhere.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

...as I said...believe what you wish. A lock in one place is made up for elsewhere.

you just can't accept the fact that dish didn't raise their programming fees for 2 years ,while directv did ,so you have to come here and defend your all mighty directv.dude go get a job instead of sitting in front of a computer all day defending directv.be productive

#71 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,608 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, it isn't possible that a guy looking at his Dish bill could possibly be correct while someone who doesn't even subscribe to Dish would know it all, right? :)

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#72 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

not only dish not raised their programming fees ,but they gave us subscribers so many freebies like pay per view coupons, cinemax for 1 penny for 1 year, etc etc.

#73 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Press release by Dish, check date:

DISH NETWORK TO INCREASE RATES APPROXIMATELY 3 PERCENT ANNUALIZED AND IMPLEMENT TWO-YEAR PRICE FREEZE

Offers Premium Movie Channels Free For One Year in Celebration of 30th Anniversary as Pioneer in Satellite TV

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 3, 2011 – DISH Network L.L.C. today announced that it is raising prices $3 to $5 per month on most programming packages starting in February 2011. DISH Network is then freezing prices on its primary programming packages through January 2013, becoming the only major satellite or cable company in America to announce a two-year price freeze.

As a result, the typical DISH Network customer will receive approximately a 3 percent annualized rate increase during that period. DISH Network is not raising prices on equipment fees or premium programming.

Also, in honor of the company’s 30th anniversary as a pioneer in satellite TV, DISH Network is offering premium movie channels free for one year to most customers. DISH Network also offers Free HD for Life, which provides access to high definition feeds of popular channels at no additional cost.

“DISH Network continues to work harder than any other company in the industry to offer the best prices, and the most choices,” said Ira Bahr, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “We pride ourselves on not raising rates each year, unlike cable companies. And despite rising programming costs, we are pleased to continue to offer the lowest everyday prices in America.”

For more information, visit
www.dishnetwork.com

#74 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Press release by Dish, check date:

DISH NETWORK TO INCREASE RATES APPROXIMATELY 3 PERCENT ANNUALIZED AND IMPLEMENT TWO-YEAR PRICE FREEZE

Offers Premium Movie Channels Free For One Year in Celebration of 30th Anniversary as Pioneer in Satellite TV

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 3, 2011 – DISH Network L.L.C. today announced that it is raising prices $3 to $5 per month on most programming packages starting in February 2011. DISH Network is then freezing prices on its primary programming packages through January 2013, becoming the only major satellite or cable company in America to announce a two-year price freeze.

As a result, the typical DISH Network customer will receive approximately a 3 percent annualized rate increase during that period. DISH Network is not raising prices on equipment fees or premium programming.

Also, in honor of the company’s 30th anniversary as a pioneer in satellite TV, DISH Network is offering premium movie channels free for one year to most customers. DISH Network also offers Free HD for Life, which provides access to high definition feeds of popular channels at no additional cost.

“DISH Network continues to work harder than any other company in the industry to offer the best prices, and the most choices,” said Ira Bahr, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “We pride ourselves on not raising rates each year, unlike cable companies. And despite rising programming costs, we are pleased to continue to offer the lowest everyday prices in America.”

For more information, visit
www.dishnetwork.com

You have completely missed the point.
DTV = Digital Television

#75 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

you just can't accept the fact that dish didn't raise their programming fees for 2 years ,while directv did ,so you have to come here and defend your all mighty directv.dude go get a job instead of sitting in front of a computer all day defending directv.be productive

Dish raised rates $5 in 2011
Dish didnt raise rates in 2012
Dish raised rates $5 in 2013

looking at my spreadsheet of my Directv bills each month (I've had D* for 3 years now)
Directv raised rates $2 in 2011
Directv raised rates $3 in 2012
Directv raised rates $3 in 2013

hmmmm looks like D* subs came out on the better end of that "Dish price freeze"....just saying

Protected By... spam firewall...And...