Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price changes?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

I never received anything from them. Just showed up on the bill. I feel the value of this is no longer their. They have constantly just kept finding ways to up up the price. I used to pay $43 a month 15 years ago for dish, now it's $135. Only addition has been a dvr and hbo. My pay hasn't risen by this amount. Maybe it's time for an antenna.

The price for content keeps going up. They aren't inventing excuses to raise rates.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

They are and slowly pricing people out. Theirs a point where it becomes cheaper to just use an antenna like when I was a kid.

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Four channels that go off the air after midnight?

#44 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I never received anything from them. Just showed up on the bill. I feel the value of this is no longer their. They have constantly just kept finding ways to up up the price. I used to pay $43 a month 15 years ago for dish, now it's $135. Only addition has been a dvr and hbo. My pay hasn't risen by this amount. Maybe it's time for an antenna.

Yeah and 15 years ago you probably only had 2 HBO channels in that package ;)

#45 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

True but that's about what I watch now. Lol..

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

That makes the "scale back" decision easier ... although it seems there is always some good show on a premium channel or upper tier channel. After a while buying the DVDs or streaming subscriptions to those programs adds up.

Is TV service worth $1700 per year? If it isn't, scale back to what you think it is worth - pay that much and see what you get.

#47 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

And I do watch 1 show on hbo. I could probably do without it. I watch mostly encore and DIY. Some hallmark.

#48 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I tend to agree ... and that is why I was happy to see the credits for customers who were within their first 12 months of programming. Those customers saw advertisements of $24.99 for 12 months (or whatever the price was) and expect to pay $24.99 for the 12 months.

But where your demands fail is beyond 12 months. There is no promise that the price will be $49.99 (or whatever the current regular price was at time of purchase) after the 12 months. None at all.

If you have misunderstood the offer then take this as a moment of education. DBS and cable is not a cellphone plan. Prices go up practically every year regardless of provider. Fortunately the DBS providers have kept it down to one (or less) increase per year ... but with improvements in the programming they carry and price increases from the sources there is no way a DBS/cable provider can give you locked in prices forever.

i understand that programing costs are going up. that's due in part to consumers and providers making it easy to not watch commercials that were the main revenue stream for years. they absolutely have the right to raise prices as they see fit, just not in the middle of a agreed to deal.

i believe all these companies have a online system that you can select what plan, equipment, etc. that you want and it tells you what the charges will be for the entire plan (taxes and govt fees are also included), not just the first 12 months. that is what i used when i shopped for a provider. i just would like the company to honor that.

i never said dish should honor a price forever!

would anyone stand for a car co leasing you a vehicle and then saying they were charging you more into the agreement? what about a landlord raising your rent partially into your lease? i'm sure dish wouldn't stand for espn demanding more money from them in the middle of their deal. these are all unacceptable, why should dish and their customers be any different?

#49 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

i understand that programing costs are going up. that's due in part to consumers and providers making it easy to not watch commercials that were the main revenue stream for years. they absolutely have the right to raise prices as they see fit, just not in the middle of a agreed to deal.

i believe all these companies have a online system that you can select what plan, equipment, etc. that you want and it tells you what the charges will be for the entire plan (taxes and govt fees are also included), not just the first 12 months. that is what i used when i shopped for a provider. i just would like the company to honor that.

i never said dish should honor a price forever!

would anyone stand for a car co leasing you a vehicle and then saying they were charging you more into the agreement? what about a landlord raising your rent partially into your lease? i'm sure dish wouldn't stand for espn demanding more money from them in the middle of their deal. these are all unacceptable, why should dish and their customers be any different?

You were never locked into a price. Dish is following the exact agreement you...agrees to. They are honoring it.
DTV = Digital Television

#50 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I tend to agree ... and that is why I was happy to see the credits for customers who were within their first 12 months of programming. Those customers saw advertisements of $24.99 for 12 months (or whatever the price was) and expect to pay $24.99 for the 12 months.

i hope this it true, but there was nothing like this mentioned in the letter i received.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,736 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

i hope this it true, but there was nothing like this mentioned in the letter i received.

Are you in your first 12 months?

#52 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

lol.

I remember the very first contract I signed [with direct,] and they had a price increase after month 12, I thought the same way husker61 does now, [it wasn't what I signed up for].

Of course I was naive, and I sat down and read ALL the fine print.

It was there. They reserve the right to change at any time.

Always read the fine print:lol:

#53 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

yes

#54 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

lol.

I remember the very first contract I signed [with direct,] and they had a price increase after month 12, I thought the same way husker61 does now, [it wasn't what I signed up for].

Of course I was naive, and I sat down and read ALL the fine print.

It was there. They reserve the right to change at any time.

Always read the fine print:lol:

didn't banks get sued and loose because they changed mortgage rates on people? they were allowed to in those contracts (adjustable rates) and it didn't make any difference, they lost and payed big time. it was because they were deceptive about it, sound familiar? these co's should be very careful.

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

yes

Have you seen a "post increase" bill?

didn't banks get sued and loose because they changed mortgage rates on people? they were allowed to in those contracts (adjustable rates) and it didn't make any difference, they lost and payed big time. it was because they were deceptive about it, sound familiar? these co's should be very careful.

Perhaps ... and if you don't see a credit to offset the increase for the remainder of your first 12 months you may have a point. The big print "$24.99 per month for 12 months" should be honored. But when you reach the 13th month "regular price" sets in ... and you, like everyone else past their first 12 months, should expect to pay the current regular price.

I believe the suit that you suggest has already been filed and made it through the courts. It is the reason why I expect you will see the credit for the remainder of your first 12 months. And the reason why in month 13 DISH will be confident in charging you the full regular price.

#56 OFFLINE   catnapped

catnapped

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Gotta love a mailing that has "A Special thank you from Dish" with a rate increase inside :lol:

#57 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well, I know what your saying, but, when you agree to terms and conditions by signing the contract, it is binding.
Of course you never see that contract until after the installation is done and the tech puts it under your nose to sign it so he can leave.

I have found that everytime I asked to see a contract [ like for extended warranties, as example] I get the run-around. Makes me crazy [ short trip] because these companies should be forth comming if they're legit.

I'm sure the legal team have gone over these, so, doesn't matter what we think.

#58 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I believe the agreements are available on the website. You could always download it and read it first.

#59 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

BINGO.

Dish homepage- legal-resedential agreement- "changes in services offered"

Pretty straightforward.

Thanks.

I have not found this to be the case for every business I have dealt with, however.

#60 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, DTV is the same. Their's is available at the website also. I'm not sure how people think if a providers price increase's to supply the product, how the price of the product will not also adjust to match.
--
I mean, simply apply it to any buisness. If you have a buisness to sell apples and your apple supplier starts charging you an extra 2$ per bushel, you would try and tell me you you wouldn't raise the cost of buying apples that your customers pay?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...