Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Price changes?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

The price freeze on programming is a fact. My cost has actually gone down because fees are lower with my Hopper/Joey setup than with my 722/622/211. At least be factual with your incessant Dish bashing.

...as I said...believe what you wish. A lock in one place is made up for elsewhere.

Huh? Pat's costs have gone DOWN ... a decrease. How is that a case of DISH making up for the price increase elsewhere? The fees on the other equipment did not go up in 2012. It worked out that the fees for a Hopper/Joey setup were less than for the other setup.

In 2012 two fees were increased. The receiver return fee, which only affects customers cancelling service and reflects an increase in shipping prices to safely return their leased equipment to DISH (without incurring the receiver non-return fee which is basically buying the leased receiver). And the late fee, which only affects customers who do not pay their bill on time. If one is paying the late fee every month they have bigger issues.

Also in 2012 the price of having multiple premium movie channel packages went up $2. This did not affect subscribers to AEP, which includes all four premium movie packages. The multiple premium movie channel package price did not increase in 2011 ... so that was $2 over two years. And DISH did not increase the price for having two or three movie packages in 2013.

If you want to claim that the package price freeze was made up for by a small increase on customers who subscribe to more than one movie package but not AEP or pay their bills late or choose to no longer be a customer there is only one response I can give:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You might as well say that the package price freeze was made up for by a small increase on customers living in gray houses who were born on a Tuesday.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   etirvan

etirvan

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Dish raised rates $5 in 2011
Dish didnt raise rates in 2012
Dish raised rates $5 in 2013

looking at my spreadsheet of my Directv bills each month (I've had D* for 3 years now)
Directv raised rates $2 in 2011
Directv raised rates $3 in 2012
Directv raised rates $3 in 2013

hmmmm looks like D* subs came out on the better end of that "Dish price freeze"....just saying

You're forgetting one thing. The $5 increase in programming rates for Dishnetwork in 2011 affected ONLY one package. The other packages only went up by $3 than. Also, certain packages for DirectTV didn't have the same across the board price increase, either. When it comes down to it, subs of both companies actually came out about equal, lol.

#83 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

The $5 increase in programming rates for Dishnetwork in 2011 affected ONLY one package. The other packages only went up by $3 than.

wanna try again....per James Long's website it shows ALL packages went up $5 in 2011
http://jameslong.name/pricing.html

these had no change in 2010...prices are form 09 to 2011
AT120 39.99 to 44.99
AT120+ 44.99 to 49.99

these went up June 2010 by $2 then $5 in 2011...
AT200 54.99 to 59.99
AT250 59.99 to 64.99
AEP 99.99 to 104.99

http://www.dbstalk.c...44&d=1359840324

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

#84 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

these went up June 2010 by $2 then $5 in 2011...

AEP 99.99 to 104.99

As noted in the chart AEP went DOWN in price in 2010 before going back up in 2011. :)
(That particular decrease was "made up for" in fees. AEP no longer included DVR service.)

Perhaps someone with DirecTV could make a similar chart? Somehow DirecTV rates seem to end up to be roughly the same or a couple dollars higher than DISH each year after the rate increases (AEP+Blockbuster $129.99, Premier+HD Pack $129.98 - with lower packages having more of a price difference).

#85 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

What's this about most subscribers getting a free year of premium movie channels? I've got a package that is over $100, including HBO, never missed or late on a payment in my entire history with Dish (auto-pay) and all I've seen related to this increase is a 50% off for 6 months to a premium channel I'm not already subbed to (this via the mail today.)

#86 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

What's this about most subscribers getting a free year of premium movie channels? I've got a package that is over $100, including HBO, never missed or late on a payment in my entire history with Dish (auto-pay) and all I've seen related to this increase is a 50% off for 6 months to a premium channel I'm not already subbed to (this via the mail today.)

I received stars at no cost for a year, a few years back as an appreciation for ushers anniversary but I haven't heard anything like this happening again. I have a fifty percent off option online. Where did you hear they are giving out a movie channel free for a year?

#87 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Wasnt that free for Dish's (well parent company Echostar's) 30 years in business?

#88 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Wasnt that free for Dish's (well parent company Echostar's) 30 years in business?

I thought it was Dishes anniversary, but yes.

#89 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Dish started in 1996
Echostar started in 1980

#90 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

If your in the first year of your dish or directv deal you are not seeing an increase until the start of your second year or your 13th month. If you signed up for a package that is $30 a month for 12 months that is an agreement that you will pay no more than $30 for 12 months for programming. A DVR fee is a different thing though, that fee can go up on you. It is in effect a price freeze. Starting with your 13th month you get $10 off a month through your 24th month that's $10 off whatever the regular price is at that time, so you are subject to a price increase after the first 12 months, however you are still getting discounted $10 for your 2nd year. I will gladly take my $1 Directv price increase over Dish's $5 even without an increase last year. Dish's top 200 is the same price as Choice now, it use to be $4 cheaper. DVR fee may be less as it looks like the Genie is going up, but the Client's are $6 and the Joeys are $7. So both services are pretty equal on price now. It's a matter of who has what you like. I like the guide and menu system on DTV better, Sunday Ticket now that it is 40% less, and DTV has a better retention department. Dish lost me over $60 they didn't want to give me in free programming if I were to stay and upgrade to the hopper and do a new 2 year committment with them. I wanted a $10 credit for 12 months and free HBO for a year and they were only willing to give me $10 for 6 months. Although when I called to cancel the lady I talked to said she would have given it to me, but I had already talked to 2 or 3 that said no and by then I was so done with them and had my install with Directv ready to go.

#91 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

If your in the first year of your dish or directv deal you are not seeing an increase until the start of your second year or your 13th month. If you signed up for a package that is $30 a month for 12 months that is an agreement that you will pay no more than $30 for 12 months for programming.

Not correct. With the price increase, dish has decided to give customers within their first year credit to keep them at the price they signed up for, but the contract says nothing about the price being guaranteed. In fact it says the opposite, stating prices can be changed at any time, which is true about pretty much every residential service agreement I have ever seen from a television provider.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#92 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

It may not say the work gaurantee, but it gives the impression you will be paying $30 for 12 months, so they are giving nothing. Simply honoring their word as is Directv with their price increase in regards to their first year new subs. There is not a State Attorney Generals office that wouldn't fight that one and win. And even if they didn't win (which they should) the bad press isn't anything either provider needs.

#93 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Don't act like Dish is doing anyone a favor.....where I'm from it's called doing the right thing.

#94 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

This is the first year that DISH has "honored" the big print prices ... and while I don't believe they deserve a parade for doing the right thing, I believe it should be acknowledged.

#95 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

What the offers literally say is that your discounts will be consistent for the periods. The underlying price can and does change unless your promotion specifically said otherwise.

Everyday Low Price $Package
Monthly Credit $10
Online Credit $Discount

It is not underhanded or uncommon.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#96 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I believe the agreements are available on the website. You could always download it and read it first.

They were not always, [ Not when I had them] I knew there was a large lawsuit a few years back regarding this

http://hometheater.a...f-customers.htm

#97 OFFLINE   rocat1997

rocat1997

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Well my bill had a $7 increase. Increases on america's top 250, hbo and showtime increased and a dvr fee increase. While i realize increases are a way of life, i will be forced to lower my programming. I havent had a pay increase in years and dont see one in the near future. Like i said before on this forum, tv has increased priced tremendously and the content is no better. Actually worse because we are inundated with tons of commercials.

#98 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Well crud. I have AT120+ and was getting 2 half price for 6 month promos. Those expired today. Not interested in them at full price, but they were fine at half - so I guess I'll continue my present programming without the premiums to help offset the pain of the price increase.

I do get some other half price price premium promo offers when I log into mydish.com. But I'm not interested in those. Maybe some day the one's I had will be offered to me again, until then, it's only TV :D

#99 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Well crud. I have AT120+ and was getting 2 half price for 6 month promos. Those expired today. Not interested in them at full price, but they were fine at half - so I guess I'll continue my present programming without the premiums to help offset the pain of the price increase.

I do get some other half price price premium promo offers when I log into mydish.com. But I'm not interested in those. Maybe some day the one's I had will be offered to me again, until then, it's only TV :D

Can't hurt to call and ask if you can still get them half price ;)
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#100 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Can't hurt to call and ask if you can still get them half price ;)

I speak DIRT and got er done ;).

spam firewall