Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joey Remote

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have a Joey hooked up in my family room in the basement. I have a RF Modulator hooked up with coax run to my daughters BR upstairs. She hardly ever watches TV so she won't use it that much. The picture is not that bad and good enough for her. My problem is that the Remote for the Joey won't work from her BR upstairs. I can get to the bottom of the steps and it will change channels and everything. Is there anything I can do to make the remote work in her BR?? New remote, extender, etc.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

The Joey is designed to be in the room where the TV is located. What you need is an RF remote, which is the Hopper's remote.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#3 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Can I just buy a Hopper remote and pair it with the Joey?

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

The Joey is designed to be in the room where the TV is located. What you need is an RF remote, which is the Hopper's remote.

Joey's remote is RF too.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

What kind of remote could I get to make this work?

#6 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

What kind of remote could I get to make this work?

They use the SAme remote, 40.0 and it uses 2G communication.

#7 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Will a DISH Network UHF Remote Antenna hooked to he back of the Joey increase the range of the remote for it to work upstairs?

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Will a DISH Network UHF Remote Antenna hooked to he back of the Joey increase the range of the remote for it to work upstairs?

If you'll find the connector on a back of J.

#9 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

There is an Antenna in on the back of the Joey. Don't know if its for OTA or what. Didn't know if you could just put it on there. My Hopper has one on it but I have to move a lot of stuff to get to it. Just thought some one might know before I unhooked it from he Hopper to try it.

#10 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

There is an Antenna in on the back of the Joey. Don't know if its for OTA or what. Didn't know if you could just put it on there. My Hopper has one on it but I have to move a lot of stuff to get to it. Just thought some one might know before I unhooked it from he Hopper to try it.

The Joey antenna is internal and the remote communicates with the joey, not the hopper antenna. Where is the antenna connected, what is the jack labeled? The only jack that would fit an antenna is the moca coax and hooking a remote there will do nothing.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

that's not an antenna but MoCA connector (in house coax) for connect to H ONLY !

take a crush course here: www.dishuser.org/hopper.php , check PDF files for connections

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Echo...echo...

#13 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

I see now that the antenna won't be able to work like the Hopper. There is no remote antenna connection. I'm new at this. Just had my Dish installed Thursday and I'm still learning. Just wanting to see if there was anyway to increase the range of the Joey remote signal to work upstairs.

#14 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I see now that the antenna won't be able to work like the Hopper. There is no remote antenna connection. I'm new at this. Just had my Dish installed Thursday and I'm still learning. Just wanting to see if there was anyway to increase the range of the Joey remote signal to work upstairs.

No, there isn't other than moving the Joey since the remote is built in.

#15 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I have my Joey in the Basement and a remote up on the 2nd floor so its going through 3 floors. Works great. Using an RF modulator. Try turning things off near the Joey, maybe line interference could be Fridge, Fans, FIsh Tank Pump who knows. Trial and error testing is needed for your issue.

I had no issue and no interference. I run it to 3 bedrooms using extra remotes.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#16 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Try moving the Joey around, put it up high if the bedroom fed by the Rf modulator is above the room with the Joey. Without an external antenna for the remote that is your only hope for the remote being seen in the above room.

Older remotes had a feature to extend the range, on the Joey it's the opposite! There is a "limited mode" to cut the range down. Perhaps your installer set that up not realizing you were going to extend the Joey to another room.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

The range is 200ft and im not sure if that's sarcasm but limited mode does not limit range. Other posters have stated they use the remote through 3 floors with no problem. How much further than 200ft would you need to go?

#18 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

How can it be changed from limited mode?

#19 OFFLINE   modguy

modguy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

How can it be changed from limited mode?

Figured out how to change it from limited mode. Still doesn't work. O well.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

The limited mode I see in the menus has nothing to do with RF range ...
"Limited Mode keeps you from accidentally changing the channel on your TV. When Limited Mode is on, only the POWER, MUTE, and VOLUME buttons will work with the TV."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...