Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$5.00 for the new Dodgers channel.

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

According to my local Sports TV station in LA. So $5.00 a month for Dodgers baseball starting in 2014 with NO WAY OUT unless DirecTV declines which i doubt. Unbelievable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

According to my local Sports TV station in LA. So $5.00 a month for Dodgers baseball starting in 2014 with NO WAY OUT unless DirecTV declines which i doubt. Unbelievable.

There no way directv is gonna want make us pay 5 bucks a month for that channel, sorry to tell you this. but this is gonna be 1 long fight with directv and the Dodgers. that is way too high for anybody.

Edited by Unknown, 28 January 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

SportsNet LA won't start until 2014. It still is pending Major League Baseball’s approval. Lot's of time for speculation on the price.

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I don't understand why they can't just use the current TWCSN channel, why do they need a whole new channel? Lakers in the winter, Dodgers in the summer.

Dodgers Deal Will Taste Bitter to Fans

#5 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

I don't understand why they can't just use the current TWCSN channel, why do they need a whole new channel? Lakers in the winter, Dodgers in the summer.

Dodgers Deal Will Taste Bitter to Fans

Because in order to hide a large chunk of cash coming from TWC, they need to be partners in the new channel, otherwise they risk sharing about one-third of the TV rights with "low-revenue teams."

#6 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Sports Fan

• Registered
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I would expect Directv to not pick this channel up unless the price drops drastically or it is offered ala carte. I suspect that Time Warner will be one of the only providers with it.

#7 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

SportsNet LA won't start until 2014. It still is pending Major League Baseball’s approval. Lot's of time for speculation on the price.

True, but it's ONE baseball season away. I will start my second year on DIRECTV in May 2013, in which the baseball season for 2014 will be well under way.
The reason why i'm bummed and lots of other people are bummed, is because TWC will make up the difference in higher fees to the customer because the 7 billion amount will have to be shared to other teams. That is why my local TV station quoted the higher than normal $5.00 amount.

#8 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

I would expect Directv to not pick this channel up unless the price drops drastically or it is offered ala carte. I suspect that Time Warner will be one of the only providers with it.

I also didn't expect TWC to pick up the Lakers, but they did.

#9 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Dodgers officially announce deal with Time Warner Cable

Going to get to the point that the LA area is going to have a $10 a month RSN fee.

#10 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 970 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

If the channel were a la carte, it would be a LOT more expensive (say, $20/month) and would make a lot less money and ultimately fail. These channels live on non-sports fans - without their contribution, the channels cannot survive. The same can really be said about most channels, not just sports.

I think TWC is throwing tons of money around to try to get something exclusive. They see what Comcast has pulled off and think they can do the same. They tried with the Lakers, but DirecTV overcame the cost. Now they're trying again with the Dodgers.

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Maybe it's time for the fans to go on strike...

#12 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Maybe it's time for the fans to go on strike...

No "maybe" about it. Subscriber apathy is leading the charge. This is a damn shame.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

If the channel were a la carte, it would be a LOT more expensive (say, $20/month) and would make a lot less money and ultimately fail. These channels live on non-sports fans - without their contribution, the channels cannot survive. The same can really be said about most channels, not just sports.

I think TWC is throwing tons of money around to try to get something exclusive. They see what Comcast has pulled off and think they can do the same. They tried with the Lakers, but DirecTV overcame the cost. Now they're trying again with the Dodgers.

what about theme packs? or even a NO sports choice (NO ESPN, sports nets, RSN's ) with all the other main channels?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#14 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

what about theme packs? or even a NO sports choice (NO ESPN, sports nets, RSN's ) with all the other main channels?

Or a sports only pack without all the other crap?

#15 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Good luck getting the content owners to agree to that...which they would have to do.
DTV = Digital Television

#16 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Here's the thing guys, go back to September and October and look at all the comments of anger for not carrying the Lakers channel. Then look at the comments about the anger of the Dodgers pricing.

See any issues here?

You have one very vocal group that wants their games no matter what. You have another very vocal group that doesn't want to pay for games they don't care about. Directv, Dish, Verizon, Charter, etc, etc, etc, are caught in the middle. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

You do the deal, rates are going up considerably and you lose some subscribers. Don't do the deal, you lose subscribers because you don't have the content.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

You do the deal, rates are going up considerably and you lose some subscribers. Don't do the deal, you lose subscribers because you don't have the content.

According to Forbes, Dodger TV ratings averaged a 1.14 last year. How can that possibly be worth $5 a month for every LA area subscriber? I honestly think cord cutting will grow if D* doesn't put a stop to this stuff. Even presuming every single LA area viewer was also a D* subscriber, I would think D* could afford losing 1.14% of their customer base rather than give in to this.

#18 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Here's the thing guys, go back to September and October and look at all the comments of anger for not carrying the Lakers channel. Then look at the comments about the anger of the Dodgers pricing.

See any issues here?

You have one very vocal group that wants their games no matter what. You have another very vocal group that doesn't want to pay for games they don't care about. Directv, Dish, Verizon, Charter, etc, etc, etc, are caught in the middle. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Which is why customers should be given a price for the channel and have a choice to subscribe to it or not.

Price is $1 - subscribe or don't
Price is $10 - subscribe or don't
Price is $100 - subscribe or don't
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Which is why customers should be given a price for the channel and have a choice to subscribe to it or not.

Price is $1 - subscribe or don't
Price is $10 - subscribe or don't
Price is $100 - subscribe or don't

If it were only that simple. You need to start way further up the food chain. ESPN needs their $6.5 billion in affiliate fees to pay for Monday Night Football, college football, college basketball, the NBA, etc, etc. They are going to get it, one way or another to pay their bills.

They need to know consistent revenue streams, which is why they demand it be bundled because it becomes predictive revenue and stable revenue.

How's the a la carte pricing in Canada going and why are people now realizing that when they lowered their bill by $10 a month they lost 40% of their channels in the process and aren't thrilled about it.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Interesting article, with a different issue being laid out, on espn.com:

http://espn.go.com/l...rk-sportsnet-la

Dodgers is showing other mlb teams how to circumvent MLB revenue sharing agreements.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

spam firewall