Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$5.00 for the new Dodgers channel.

• Please log in to reply
750 replies to this topic

#251 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

KABC reports Directv will not carry the Dodgers channel this season...take it for what it's worth...if true, great!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#252 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,921 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

A DirecTV spokesman countered that “nothing could be further from the truth" and added that "fans have already seen through Time Warner Cable’s deception, and this is yet another transparent attempt to manipulate all TV customers throughout the region."

DirecTV countered, "we do intend to keep working to resolve this in the fan’s favor, we just didn’t agree to accept their latest outrageous proposal. We will continue to engage with them until this gets resolved."

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 03 April 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#253 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

If DIRECTV never picks it up and we all know dish never will then no other cable provider has any need to pick it up except maybe FIOS and uverse. But I think if DIRECTV doesn't et it everyone else will walk away as well as they won't lose any customers because if the channel so why add 5 a month for no reason.

And I see no issue tieing ratings to the price if the channel. None. Not when you are asking what equates to about 5 times as much as they paid to have the dodgers on DIRECTV last year. Actually probably 12 to 15 times more if you start doing the math on it.

#254 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm confused. Is Witmer a buyer of channels for time warner cable or a seller who would be dealing with directv. She says she is a buyer.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#255 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'm confused. Is Witmer a buyer of channels for time warner cable or a seller who would be dealing with directv. She says she is a buyer.

i'm guessing she's talking about being both...if she's executive VP at TWC, she probably has a say when they negotiate with providers in other cities too.

either way, she's full of crap.  there's no way all these RSNs are getting $4 a pop, otherwise ESPN would be asking for $10.

#256 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,462 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

TWC needs a major provider to sign on if they want to sell the channel as a network. Otherwise one can just think of it as a private channel for TWC subs. The Dodgers get their money either way and the more exclusive the channel remains the more TWC can play the "we have something you don't have" game. Not a bad game to play in the "must have" area.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#257 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

i'm guessing she's talking about being both...if she's executive VP at TWC, she probably has a say when they negotiate with providers in other cities too.

either way, she's full of crap.  there's no way all these RSNs are getting $4 a pop, otherwise ESPN would be asking for $10.

RSN are mainly local with outer rings at lower prices.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#258 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

They compare the price to YES Network and ROOT Sports Pittsburgh, but remember that those two also have other teams on the station (Nets and Penguins).  I think YES Network with Nets and Yankees should be fairly close in price to SportsNet LA with both Lakers and Dodgers.  That should be what Directv tells them.

#259 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,921 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

They compare the price to YES Network and ROOT Sports Pittsburgh, but remember that those two also have other teams on the station (Nets and Penguins). I think YES Network with Nets and Yankees should be fairly close in price to SportsNet LA with both Lakers and Dodgers. That should be what Directv tells them.

And thats exactly what TWC should have done, put the Dodgers on their already existing channel. Dodgers in the summer and Lakers in the winter. It makes the channel more attractive. I never understood why both teams needed their own channel. I know, $$$

As far as Root sports go, D* keeps stating they want sports on its own tier, but I wonder if D* would ever offer its Root sports channels al a carte?

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 04 April 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#260 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

TWC needs a major provider to sign on if they want to sell the channel as a network. Otherwise one can just think of it as a private channel for TWC subs. The Dodgers get their money either way and the more exclusive the channel remains the more TWC can play the "we have something you don't have" game. Not a bad game to play in the "must have" area.

It is a bad game to play. I live in a TWC area and use them from my interet.  I will never use them for TV even though I am a die hard Dodgers fan.  From what I am reading and hearing, most of the fans are so upset with TWC that many will intentionally never use them for TV. 

Even more importantly, most of the LA metro area has Comcast as their cable provider.  Most of the LA area cannot get TWC even if they wanted to.  It will be a while before the merger occurs. 

#261 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I wonder if Cable Co's are waiting to see what DirecTV can get for a "fair" price, especially those that "overpaid" (my words) for the Pac-12 networks.

They see that DirecTV is the big guy in the room and want that most favored nation clause price being driven by DirecTV's negotiating power instead of theirs.

I surmise that the deals many cable companies (and Dish) are not necessarily making money for them, yes they may have added some subscribers, but its been long enough and the net gains have not outweighed the net cost.

#262 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

RSN are mainly local with outer rings at lower prices.

i'm aware of that, how is that relevant to what i said?

#263 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

I would find it highly unlikely that the person who sells the product as a channel is also the one who buys similar product for delivery systems. She used the word "I" not the word "we" which is what bothered me about the interview.

I am betting she is more on the system side and her dog in the fight is selling cable services to end users.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#264 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I would find it highly unlikely that the person who sells the product as a channel is also the one who buys similar product for delivery systems. She used the word "I" not the word "we" which is what bothered me about the interview.

I am betting she is more on the system side and her dog in the fight is selling cable services to end users.

i didn't say she was "the person" who sells it, i said she probably has a say...

#265 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

From Keenan's post(And thanks for the links, great reading!):

"A condition of the Dodgers contract, according to people familiar with the transaction, is that Time Warner Cable has to cover the subscription fees for any distributor that does not sign on to carry the network. 

http://www.latimes.c...y#ixzz2xraV6y5p"

Assuming this is indeed in the TWC/Dodgers contract, if I'm running any other TV provider in LA market, I'm doing nothing at this time. I've seen my share of contracts poorly worded. But this one have the potential to take a huge hit on TWC bottom line and, therefore, stock price, bond ratings, etc..... Who knows how this may impact Comcast' interst on purchasing TWC...

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: Bring back Gol TV HD

#266 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

There's really only slight incentive for uverse and FIOS to pick up this channel right now. There's no incentive for anyone else as long as DIRECTV doesn't have it.

#267 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

There's really only slight incentive for uverse and FIOS to pick up this channel right now. There's no incentive for anyone else as long as DIRECTV doesn't have it.

Exactly, agree 100%, and I think the only way that dynamic will change is if the Dodgers do very well early on and the public starts making noise and also vote with their wallets by switching to TWC, those that can of course.

#268 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Yes but it also depends on how many switch. I honestly don't think there's that many in the over all scheme who not only can but will switch.

#269 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Yes but it also depends on how many switch. I honestly don't think there's that many in the over all scheme who not only can but will switch.

Yes, people talk but seldom act upon it.

#270 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

It is a bad game to play. I live in a TWC area and use them from my interet.  I will never use them for TV even though I am a die hard Dodgers fan.  From what I am reading and hearing, most of the fans are so upset with TWC that many will intentionally never use them for TV. 

Even more importantly, most of the LA metro area has Comcast as their cable provider.  Most of the LA area cannot get TWC even if they wanted to.  It will be a while before the merger occurs. 

You're a Dodgers fan? One could never guess that from your screen name :rotfl:

If the LA fans are upset with TWC, rather than being upset with Comcast, Directv, Dish, etc. it gives the latter even less incentive to add the channel because they're less likely to lose subscribers over it. Coupled with the reports that TWC must eat the cost if they don't buy the channel, it is really a perfect storm for this to blow up in TWC's face.

It would seem the Comcast merger is about the only thing that can save them at this point, but I still believe/hope that if the FCC/FTC approves the merger, they make it a condition that both divest all their broadcast properties. If they allow one nationwide provider to be created that owns as many RSNs (as well as NBC) as the combination would, things would get a lot worse for fans of pro sports.

Edited by slice1900, 04 April 2014 - 04:21 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#271 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hmmm might want to look in to XBMC and Sports Devil !

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#272 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

http://www.deadline....e-negotiations/

[...]

Maureen Huff, Time Warner Cable vice president of public relations, told Deadline, “We can confirm that DirecTV has left the negotiating table. We were advised by their negotiating team that they would not counter our last proposal and that conversations were at an end. We are eager for all consumers in the Dodgers footprint to have access to SNLA and we hope that other providers will come on board quickly so that the frustrated DirecTV consumers have alternative options throughout the region.  We will continue to work tirelessly to make that happen. And, in the event that DirecTV would like to re-engage discussions, we stand at the ready to do so 24×7″.

But Darris Gringeri, DirecTV’s vice president of public relations responded, ”Nothing could be further from the truth” in regards to the satellite TV provider leaving the bargaining table.  ”Fans have already seen through Time Warner Cable’s deception and this is yet another transparent attempt to manipulate all TV customers throughout the region.  We do intend to keep working to resolve this in the fan’s favor, we just didn’t agree to accept their latest outrageous proposal.  We will continue to engage with them until this gets resolved.”

[...]

Content edited to avoid copyright infringement.

Edited by James Long, 04 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); ABC Asia Pacific; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#273 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Huh?  Comcast doesn't come anywhere near the LA area.  It's all TWC and Charter, with a little Cox down south.

http://www.fcc.gov/m...nd-coverage-map

#274 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,462 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

You're a Dodgers fan? One could never guess that from your screen name :rotfl:

If laxguy is a reference to lacrosse then DodgerKing might be a reference to the Artful Dodger with the named being the king of the dodgers. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#275 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Anyone know if the national feed for tomorrow's Giants-Dodgers game will be watchable on FS1 in LA?  Or is there a blackout, since it's also available on SNLA?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...