Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$5.00 for the new Dodgers channel.

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

And if you live in, I don't know, central Iowa or whatever (no offense intended to Buckeyes, just making an example) you'll pay more to import those team feeds, too.

:eek2:I do not think many people in Iowa care at all about the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes are in Ohio. :rolleyes:

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

:eek2:I do not think many people in Iowa care at all about the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes are in Ohio. :rolleyes:

Trees! He was referring to the noble Buckeye tree....:D

Oh, dang, I bet someone will say they don't grow in Iowa...
~borned and bred an Illini.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yes, but Vin Scully transcends the team he broadcasts for.

Unless the Dodgers are going to use all their new TV money to transplant Vin's voice box into a tortoise, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him retire after this season -- which would make the new channel all Charley Steiner, all the time.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#44 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Unless the Dodgers are going to use all their new TV money to transplant Vin's voice box into a tortoise, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him retire after this season -- which would make the new channel all Charley Steiner, all the time.

Ewww.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#45 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

OK, I guess the joke was a little to subtle for some of you. Yes, I know the Buckeyes are in Ohio. One of my old favorites:

A new student comes to a Maine elementary school. He is asked to stand up and give his name and where he came from. He says, "Hi, I'm Bobby Smith, and I'm from Iowa." The class erupts into giggles. The student turns to the teacher and asks, "Why are they laughing?" to which the teacher replies, "Son, I know you just moved here but in Maine, we pronounce it O-HI-O."

Don't mean any offense to Iowans, Mainers, or Ohioans, it's just one of my quirky yet adorable ideosyncracies that I perpetually say Iowa and mean Ohio, and vice versa. It makes me chuckle, that's all.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

OK, I guess the joke was a little to subtle for some of you. Yes, I know the Buckeyes are in Ohio. One of my old favorites:

A new student comes to a Maine elementary school. He is asked to stand up and give his name and where he came from. He says, "Hi, I'm Bobby Smith, and I'm from Iowa." The class erupts into giggles. The student turns to the teacher and asks, "Why are they laughing?" to which the teacher replies, "Son, I know you just moved here but in Maine, we pronounce it O-HI-O."

Don't mean any offense to Iowans, Mainers, or Ohioans, it's just one of my quirky yet adorable ideosyncracies that I perpetually say Iowa and mean Ohio, and vice versa. It makes me chuckle, that's all.

I was wondering if that was the case. Eppi Lederer (aka Ann Landers), who was from Iowa, wrote something similar about 50 years ago (and, yes, I am that old) ;)

#47 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yes, but Vin Scully transcends the team he broadcasts for.

No, he doesn't.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#48 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Welcome to the pain we've been "suffering" in Philly for 10+ years with CSN-Philly.

This sentiment also encompasses Philly expatriates who wish to see local HD broadcasts of their former home teams along with such shows as Daily News Live.

#49 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

No, he doesn't.

You either have an unrealistically high opinion of the Dodgers, or a completely unwarranted low opinion of Scully. In either case, you are sadly mistaken.

#50 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Time Warner announced yesterday a RSN fee as well, $2.25. They also are raising rates in Los Angeles at 8.2%. Directv is raising rates at 4.5%.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#51 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Time Warner announced yesterday a RSN fee as well, $2.25. They also are raising rates in Los Angeles at 8.2%. Directv is raising rates at 4.5%.

Now let's say the law comes down on fees like that or least the way they are being billed or say if there are billed like that people must be able to say no to them.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#52 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Now let's say the law comes down on fees like that or least the way they are being billed or say if there are billed like that people must be able to say no to them.

They can say no to them. In which case, they can move to a package that doesn't have RSNs and thus they won't have the RSN fee.

Wish it wasn't like that, but this is what sports fees have done and companies are trying to find ways where someone that doesn't want to bear those extra costs can move out and not pay them (i.e. downgrade to the Entertainment package).

I harken back to a lot of industries that have changed over the years. As an example, tomorrow I get on a plane, I can pay $25 to check a bag in or bring a carry on and not pay that fee. It used to be I didn't have to pay anything for those bags AND I got a "free" meal and "free" drinks. Just one of oh so many examples.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#53 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

They can say no to them. In which case, they can move to a package that doesn't have RSNs and thus they won't have the RSN fee.

Wish it wasn't like that, but this is what sports fees have done and companies are trying to find ways where someone that doesn't want to bear those extra costs can move out and not pay them (i.e. downgrade to the Entertainment package).

I harken back to a lot of industries that have changed over the years. As an example, tomorrow I get on a plane, I can pay $25 to check a bag in or bring a carry on and not pay that fee. It used to be I didn't have to pay anything for those bags AND I got a "free" meal and "free" drinks. Just one of oh so many examples.

but it's not added bag fee it all the other hidden other forced fees that the law came down on and forced to show a upfront all in fee.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#54 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

What WILL happen is just what i did. I dropped down 2 tiers from Ultimate to Choice. People who, like me, will try to offset the outrageous prices for sports by giving them less money out of my pocket for their packages.

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,555 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hey Chicagoans, how would you like to pay for a channels for the Bears, another for the Cubs, another for the White Sox, another for the Bulls, another for the Blackhawks...

You're scaring me I hope that never happens, but then again IT IS HAPPENING with Lakers channel,and the EVIL VIACOM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#56 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I don't understand why they can't just use the current TWCSN channel, why do they need a whole new channel? Lakers in the winter, Dodgers in the summer.

Dodgers Deal Will Taste Bitter to Fans

Because the Dodgers wanted their own channel. They now own this channel and broadcast rights, including the broadcast rights of any other team than may join this channel. They would not have had this if they were on the other channel.

Plus, it is a nice way to hide revenue from revenue sharing

Edited by DodgerKing, 31 January 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

According to Forbes, Dodger TV ratings averaged a 1.14 last year. How can that possibly be worth $5 a month for every LA area subscriber? I honestly think cord cutting will grow if D* doesn't put a stop to this stuff. Even presuming every single LA area viewer was also a D* subscriber, I would think D* could afford losing 1.14% of their customer base rather than give in to this.

A 1.14 in LA represents more total viewers than 2 to 5 times that in most other markets.

Advertisers care more about how many are watching and the demographics of those viewers vs the percentage of a market.

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Imagine my shock when I checked in to fly to LV for CES good old Spirit Airlines informed me that wanted the same fee for carry-ons.... But so far, no charge for the toilets.... should I have been grateful for that? :nono2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#59 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Because the Dodgers wanted their own channel. They now own this channel and broadcast rights, including the broadcast rights of any other team than may join this channel. They would not have had this if they were on the other channel.

Plus, it is a nice way to hide revenue from revenue sharing

The players will figure that out soon enough and it will come up during the next contract negotiation. Very short term.

What is more long-term is that this supposed $5 is intended to have TWC being the only carrier of Dodger baseball in SoCal. A fee that TWC won't really be paying since it co-owns the channel. If they set the fee high enough, other carriers will balk and they get more subscribers. Or maybe they pay the high fee. Win-win.

Pretty much what DirecTV does with Sunday Ticket.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#60 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

If there is any silver lining, it will be to set sports programming in a separate tier of service. There are a lot of DirecTV customers who, like me, watch almost no sports and will resist paying big price jumps to subsidize those that do. It's been tolerable, to an extent, but looks like the brown stuff is nearing the fan.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

spam firewall