Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$5.00 for the new Dodgers channel.

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Are they? They may be winning but loyalties die hard.

Here is an example. On StubHub, the asking price for First Round playoff tickets starts at $105 for the Lakers. $38 for the Clippers.

The other games are in line.

You're right here in LA it's Laker's country. More purple and gold than Dodger Blue. The Clips and Angels are second tier.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

They have had a more profound effect than just changing how it is viewed.

Yes. And college football TV money (with ESPN in the vanguard) is responsible for the wave of (horrible, IMO) conference realignments we've seen.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#83 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Are they? They may be winning but loyalties die hard.

Here is an example. On StubHub, the asking price for First Round playoff tickets starts at $105 for the Lakers. $38 for the Clippers.

The other games are in line.

Similarly, the TV ratings from last night in the LA market:

-Lakers game 9.1
-Modern Family 6.3
-Lakers Postgame: 4.3
-Clippers Game 2.6
-Angels Game 0.9

The Clippers really need to move to Anaheim or San Diego. They are irrelevant in LA.

You're right here in LA it's Laker's country. More purple and gold than Dodger Blue. The Clips and Angels are second tier.

IMO, The Dodgers have fallen pretty far. They are second tier as well. There's not as wide of a space between Dodgers and Angels as there once was. Although getting rid of McCourt should help the Dodgers a lot.

#84 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Similarly, the TV ratings from last night in the LA market:

-Lakers game 9.1
-Modern Family 6.3
-Lakers Postgame: 4.3
-Clippers Game 2.6
-Angels Game 0.9

The Clippers really need to move to Anaheim or San Diego. They are irrelevant in LA.

IMO, The Dodgers have fallen pretty far. They are second tier as well. There's not as wide of a space between Dodgers and Angels as there once was. Although getting rid of McCourt should help the Dodgers a lot.

Sooo your logic is the Clippers should move to Anaheim to get LESS ratings or just as bad ratings as the Angels do?? God im glad a lot of you aren't in change of making big decisions.. As long as the Clippers keep getting 18,500 IN Los Angeles IN the Staples Center, they should not go anywhere... About the ratings last night, my god they were playing the Timberwolves man...

Honestly, I don't know where you live but here in LA County, Dodger fans are JUST AS PASSIONATE if not more than Laker fans.. Heck check those ratings AFTER Kobe retires and Howard leaves (which he will do after the season).. Laker Fans are not in my opinion as passionate as Dodger fans.. All the so called "die hard" laker fans don't even know Magic PLAYED for the Lakers first before becoming A Dodgers Owner.. Those same fans don't remember when Sedale Threat was running the point and Nick Van Exel was the SG. When Magic retired, laker fans took off their Magic jerseys and went to go buy Jordan jerseys and all of a sudden became die hard "Bulls" fans.. Same thing with USC. Nobody would be caught dead in a USC sweater back when they were going 6-5, but a national championship or two later, USC is MY SCHOOL!! Even this year, when USC stumbled out the block, all of a sudden Mr. "I love Oregon" sweaters started popping up all over LA.. The worst sports fans reside HERE... PERIOD.

Last point, The Dodgers were here winning World Series when the Lakers were busy being the Celtics betch so I think Dodger fan would have a problem with someone calling their team "2nd tier"..

Ben
Voodoo

Edited by shyvoodoo, 11 April 2013 - 06:01 PM.

All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#85 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sooo your logic is the Clippers should move to Anaheim to get LESS ratings or just as bad ratings as the Angels do?? God im glad a lot of you aren't in change of making big decisions.. As long as the Clippers keep getting 18,500 IN Los Angeles IN the Staples Center, they should not go anywhere... About the ratings last night, my god they were playing the Timberwolves man...

Honestly, I don't know where you live but here in LA County, Dodger fans are JUST AS PASSIONATE if not more than Laker fans.. Heck check those ratings AFTER Kobe retires and Howard leaves (which he will do after the season).. Laker Fans are not in my opinion as passionate as Dodger fans.. All the so called "die hard" laker fans don't even know Magic PLAYED for the Lakers first before becoming A Dodgers Owner.. Those same fans don't remember when Sedale Threat was running the point and Nick Van Exel was the SG. When Magic retired, laker fans took off their Magic jerseys and went to go buy Jordan jerseys and all of a sudden became die hard "Bulls" fans.. Same thing with USC. Nobody would be caught dead in a USC sweater back when they were going 6-5, but a national championship or two later, USC is MY SCHOOL!! Even this year, when USC stumbled out the block, all of a sudden Mr. "I love Oregon" sweaters started popping up all over LA.. The worst sports fans reside HERE... PERIOD.

Last point, The Dodgers were here winning World Series when the Lakers were busy being the Celtics betch so I think Dodger fan would have a problem with someone calling their team "2nd tier"..

Ben
Voodoo

I'm not a Lakers fan, I don't care how passionate their fans are.

I know lots of Dodger fans who have jumped ship over the last two decades as the Dodgers have been attracting different clientele (e.g. Oakland Raiders fans)

The Dodgers won their last world series 25 years ago! The Angels have had just as many post season appearances as the Dodgers have since 1989, including their own world series title.

The only reason I ever watch the Dodgers these days is because of Vin Scully.

#86 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

I know lots of Dodger fans who have jumped ship over the last two decades as the Dodgers have been attracting different clientele (e.g. Oakland Raiders fans)

The only reason I ever watch the Dodgers these days is because of Vin Scully.

I know a lot of folks that feel the same way....going to Dodger stadium used to be a cool experience, but it's a bit rough these days.  I won't bring my kids anymore and I have friends that just flat out won't go.  Shame, many really great Dodger fans but there are some that want to make it all about how macho they can be, taunting other fans, etc...just not worth it.

I'll got to an Angels game without any of those types of incidents.  With the amount of money the Dodgers are spending on their club now, I suspect they will finally be good again and that will lead to folks tuning them in.  The Angels, on the other hand, spending money but struggling.  Though they had more wins than the Tigers last year, their division is very tough and they missed the playoffs again.  LA loves a winner so if you aren't winning, they'll tune you out.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#87 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Somebody please turn back the clock about 35 years when most everyone had their head screwed on straight & watching a professional sports team came WAY down the list of important stuff to do today. Since when did entertaiment become a necessity? Don't believe it? Just ask all the people on public assistance, they'll tell you. Me? I try watching some between my 2 jobs......

#88 OFFLINE   tecumseh

tecumseh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

As a rabid Dodger fan living in the middle of Indiana, I would gladly pay 10 bucks a month for this channel, IF, and only if, I could get full access to all the programming they offer, aside from the games I'd need to miss due to local teams region claims(Cubs, White Sox, Reds). I've never really understood the policies in place which cause things like off season game replays and specialized feature programming about the teams being blacked out. Watching Dodgers diary or a greatest game replay in the middle of the winter doesn't affect the Reds, Cubs, or White Sox in any way, shape or form.  It's never made any sense, and will continue to fail to do so.  Go Bums!

Edited by tecumseh, 16 April 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#89 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

As a rabid Dodger fan living in the middle of Indiana, I would gladly pay 10 bucks a month for this channel, IF, and only if, I could get full access to all the programming they offer, aside from the games I'd need to miss due to local teams region claims(Cubs, White Sox, Reds). I've never really understood the policies in place which cause things like off season game replays and specialized feature programming about the teams being blacked out. Watching Dodgers diary or a greatest game replay in the middle of the winter doesn't affect the Reds, Cubs, or White Sox in any way, shape or form. It's never made any sense, and will continue to fail to do so. Go Bums!

Give up trying to rationalize the blackout stupidity of MLB. So many threads here discussing cities that aren't even close to some teams are blacked out....

#90 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

So, why can D* agree to an RSN fee for CSN-LA, CSN-Chicago, CSN-MidAtlantic, etc, but sill won't give us CSN-Philly?

DirecTV customer since 1996

#91 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

So, why can D* agree to an RSN fee for CSN-LA, CSN-Chicago, CSN-MidAtlantic, etc, but sill won't give us CSN-Philly?

For years Comcast has blackoff CSN phlly and there may be some stuff that is still in the court system.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#92 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,579 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Mr. Goose:

Because CC/Xsplinity are thieving lying bast***s? Just a theory, dunno all the facts, but if you are really interested, there are a lot of threads just on the Philly story. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#93 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,695 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Comcast if headquartered in Philly.
CSN-Philly was never available on D* because of the satellite loophole.
Comcast fully owns the channel and one, if not two, of the three teams they show.
The other CSN's they own were former RSN's before becoming CSN, those RSN's were already on D*, those teams wanted to continue to be on D*, and some of the teams partially own the channels, so they had a say in it.
And mostly because CSN-Philly is asking for a much higher fee for it, they know they would lose a lot of customers in the Philly area if they were to give it up.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 19 April 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#94 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

They need to know consistent revenue streams, which is why they demand it be bundled because it becomes predictive revenue and stable revenue.

At some point, say when ESPN constitutes xx% of the cost of residential TV, the bough is going to break.

Combine this with the teams going out on their own and someone at ESPN has a tummy ache.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#95 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Comcast if headquartered in Philly.
CSN-Philly was never available on D* because of the satellite loophole.
Comcast fully owns the channel and one, if not two, of the three teams they show.
The other CSN's they own were former RSN's before becoming CSN, those RSN's were already on D*, those teams wanted to continue to be on D*, and some of the teams partially own the channels, so they had a say in it.
And mostly because CSN-Philly is asking for a much higher fee for it, they know they would lose a lot of customers in the Philly area if they were to give it up.

The Phillies have a stake in the channel. Comcast only owns the Flyers.

#96 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

At some point, say when ESPN constitutes xx% of the cost of residential TV, the bough is going to break.

Combine this with the teams going out on their own and someone at ESPN has a tummy ache.

I am convinced that it won't be ESPN or one entity that breaks the dam.

I am seeing so many sports channels starting up and I think that will continue the next few years...price costs will keep skyrocketing

#97 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

It seems that the Dodgers and MLB have 'tentatively' came to an agreement regarding the revenue sharing on the new network.

http://www.latimes.c...0,2336145.story

I still don't know what SportsNet LA is giong to show in between the end of September (assuming the Dodgers don't make the playoffs as usual) and the beginning of spring training in March. While the Lakers certainly are the brand that carries TWCSN, that channel still shows a lot of other live programming in the form of MWC football, MWC and WCC basketball, Galaxy soccer and Sparks WNBA.

It seems like they will have to do something, they can't justify $5/month in the winter on ESPN Classic-esque programming.

#98 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

It seems that the Dodgers and MLB have 'tentatively' came to an agreement regarding the revenue sharing on the new network.

http://www.latimes.c...0,2336145.story

I still don't know what SportsNet LA is giong to show in between the end of September (assuming the Dodgers don't make the playoffs as usual) and the beginning of spring training in March. While the Lakers certainly are the brand that carries TWCSN, that channel still shows a lot of other live programming in the form of MWC football, MWC and WCC basketball, Galaxy soccer and Sparks WNBA.

It seems like they will have to do something, they can't justify $5/month in the winter on ESPN Classic-esque programming.

Past games and off-season analysis, IMO

I am not sure I would watch 5 minutes of the channel even with baseball season going on.

#99 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:13 AM

Maybe they think someday they can get one of the hockey teams, or the Clippers. But that is not going to happen soon, as they all have long contracts I believe.

I hope DIRECTV doesn't pick it up unless its a la cart, or in the sports pack. I don't want to support McCourt and the Dodgers are still supporting his lying piece of worthless exsistance.

#100 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Dodgers have been getting larger ratings thanks to Yasiel Puig. TWC has to be excited, they certainly lucked out in the timing of launching the new RSN, assuming that Puig doesn't collapse. http://www.sportsmed...e-mlb-gold-cup/

spam firewall