Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$5.00 for the new Dodgers channel.

• Please log in to reply
659 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

And hopefully in November.

You mean October (if the Dodgers and/or Angels are in the postseason)?
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,881 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

Judge Blocks Class Action Lawsuit Over Lakers and Dodgers Channels

http://www.hollywood...-lawsuit-675254

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 29 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#128 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Anyone have thoughts on what the Comcast purchase of Time Warner will do to the current state of non-carriage of SpotsNetLA on DIRECTV? Will negotiations be halted(are they even taking place?)? Will DIRECTV lock in a deal now before Comcast takes over ownership of the channel? Will those of us not living in the LA area even see Dodger games this year?

#129 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

It depends how it goes down. With all the regulatory hurdles the merger won't likely be finalized until the end of the year anyway. There could also be conditions like forcing Comcast to sell some of their channels, systems, or more oversight on contract neogitations which could benefit DirecTV if they wait.

#130 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,075 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Comcast should have no bearing on it right now, it will be a long time before that merger can be completed and they are not going to wait to try and get other providers to pick up the channel for the merger to go through.

#131 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

The Dodgers OWN the channel. TWC paid the Dodgers $8 Billion(with B) to handle DISTRIBUTION for 25 years. It starts at $210M this year and goes up from there.

You might remember that Fox had a deal with the Dodgers which was overturned 2 years ago after MLB forced the Dodger's ownership change.

http://www.bloomberg...am-trustee.html

Bottom line, does not matter who handles "distribution" down the road if this is an issue with the Comcast/TWC deal (though I doubt a distribution deal would be an issue as it is not an ownership issue and is being offered to competitors), the price the Dodgers want for THEIR channel distribution is essentially locked in.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 19 February 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#132 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

I believe a 1.14 rating equals only 100,000 viewers which isn't that many especially compared to how much TWC paid for this channel. The Lakers, on the other hand, averaged 3 or 4 times that many viewers for their games if I remember reading correctly.

Incorrect.

The LA Television DMA runs East to Nevada and Arizona (including Inyo, San Bernadino and Riverside County - except Palm Springs) and North to Ventura and Eastern Kern County.

A rating is what percentage of the population is watching the TV program - not a share of the total tv viewing population.

The LA Television DMA population is roughly 18,500,000. 18,500,000 * 0.0114 = over 200,000 viewers of the Dodgers at any time.

Obviously, a 1.14 rating in a different market with 8,500,000 total population would be around 100,000 viewers.

But all this is actually mute, as the Dodgers had a 2.74 rating - not a 1.14 in the 2013 Season.

http://www.sportsbus...LB-ratings.aspx

18,500,000 * 0.0274 = over 500,000 viewers of the Dodgers at any time.

"Of MLB’s biggest markets, only Los Angeles saw an increase in local ratings. The NL West-winning Dodgers posted a more than 40 percent increase over last year’s average rating."

How does that compare with other shows in Los Angeles? Consider this from July:

http://www.nbclosang...-215364001.html

"The station drew an average of 470,000 viewers with its 6:30-9:45 p.m. broadcast making it the most-watched station in Los Angeles during the game broadcast."

On Tuesday, the game was put up against So You Think You Can Dance, NCIS, America's Got Talent, NCIS: Los Angeles, and America's Top Model. Cynopsis reports that the game drew a rating of 2.7 and a 10 share for the highest rated, "Dodger game on KCAL since the station became the team's broadcast partner at the start of the 2006 season."

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 19 February 2014 - 01:16 AM.

#133 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Forgot to answer the Lakers part of your question

Over the first 40 games of this Season compared to last Season, the Lakers are down 37.5% compared to last season. According to Nielsen, the rating is a 2.72 compared to a 4.35 last season.

http://articles.lati...ers-tv-20140130

As thus, Dodgers and Lakers ratings are essentially equal at this time (2.74 for Dodgers and 2.72 for Lakers)

It should also be noted this is the first season on their "own" Television Channel.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 19 February 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#134 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

This is the sort of thing that concerns me about Directv carriage,

Netflix-TWC set-top box talks reportedly held up by Comcast takeover

Netflix-TWC set-top box talks reportedly held up by Comcast takeover - 

http://www.fierceonl...source=internal

and this,

Is it time to get nervous in battle over Dodgers' new TV network?

"Time Warner Cable has unilaterally decided to pay an unprecedented high price and now wants all of their own customers as well as those of their competitors, none of which who had any say in the matter, to pick up that tab," Dan York, DirecTV's chief content officer, told Flint.

http://www.latimes.c...y#ixzz2tnjOucsI

http://webcache.goog...sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Time Warner cable systems in LA will certainly be carrying the channel, and the Dodgers will get their money regardless of whether there's carriage on any other systems.

My depressing guess at this point is that there is no way this channel is on DIRECTV at the start of the season, and may not be there until the Comcast/TWC deal is settled. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

#135 OFFLINE   Mariah2014

Mariah2014

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 836 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

I'm willing to bet in may be longer than that. The price tag is so high that I wouldn't expect to be on Directv anymore than I would CSN Philadelphia. The price that is being offered is the type of price that makes it almost exclusive to the provider who owns the station.

Netflix-TWC set-top box talks reportedly held up by Comcast takeover

Netflix-TWC set-top box talks reportedly held up by Comcast takeover - 

http://www.fierceonl...source=internal

and this,

Is it time to get nervous in battle over Dodgers' new TV network?

"Time Warner Cable has unilaterally decided to pay an unprecedented high price and now wants all of their own customers as well as those of their competitors, none of which who had any say in the matter, to pick up that tab," Dan York, DirecTV's chief content officer, told Flint.

http://www.latimes.c...y#ixzz2tnjOucsI

http://webcache.goog...sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Time Warner cable systems in LA will certainly be carrying the channel, and the Dodgers will get their money regardless of whether there's carriage on any other systems.

My depressing guess at this point is that there is no way this channel is on DIRECTV at the start of the season, and may not be there until the Comcast/TWC deal is settled. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#136 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,075 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Forgot to answer the Lakers part of your question

Over the first 40 games of this Season compared to last Season, the Lakers are down 37.5% compared to last season. According to Nielsen, the rating is a 2.72 compared to a 4.35 last season.

http://articles.lati...ers-tv-20140130

As thus, Dodgers and Lakers ratings are essentially equal at this time (2.74 for Dodgers and 2.72 for Lakers)

It should also be noted this is the first season on their "own" Television Channel.

Ah, I may be reading what you said wrong, but actually the lakers had their channel launch last season. Ratings are down strictly because they have sucked so far this year...  Not because of the change of channel.

And the dodgers ratings I believe where way up last year after years of being down because of the change of ownership and doing much better int he standings.

#137 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm willing to bet in may be longer than that. The price tag is so high that I wouldn't expect to be on Directv anymore than I would CSN Philadelphia. The price that is being offered is the type of price that makes it almost exclusive to the provider who owns the station.

Yeah, I was being conservative, unless something changes radically, like pricing or the channel can be offered a la carte, I wouldn't expect to see it at all this season.

I still think the major roadblock is the Comcast purchase, they're paying $45 billion for TWC and eventually $8 billion will end up with the Dodgers, you can bet that Comcast is going to want to be right on top of all carriage negotiations for the channel.

I sure wouldn't want to be a TWC sub in the LA area as TWC is going to have to make up a pretty massive shortfall somehow if they don't get more carriage.

#138 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ah, I may be reading what you said wrong, but actually the lakers had their channel launch last season. Ratings are down strictly because they have sucked so far this year...  Not because of the change of channel.

And the dodgers ratings I believe where way up last year after years of being down because of the change of ownership and doing much better int he standings.

I am not pointing to cause and effect, only answering FenixTX showing that the Lakers ratings are NOT currently 3x - 4x the Dodgers ratings, but essentially both are now equal in ratings. It would have been the case when the Dodgers had a 1.14 and the Lakers had over a 4.x.

You are most likely correct that this is probably due to court/field performance of both teams during the last 6-9 months, not the outlet, but one cannot say that with certainty - and I was trying to stay in facts and not assumptions.

#139 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

As you live much further North in Golden State, you will be able to see games on DirecTV with EI. Not sure why you would want to pay for it even if available instead of just getting EI.

#140 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

As you live much further North in Golden State, you will be able to see games on DirecTV with EI. Not sure why you would want to pay for it even if available instead of just getting EI.

I'll be able to see the opposing teams feeds yes, but I won't be able to see the Dodgers broadcast if DIRECTV doesn't pickup the channel. And that doesn't guarantee I'll see every game either, but more importantly I would like to be able to hear the home team(Dodgers) broadcast.

I only activate my DIRECTV service for 6 mos every year during the baseball season and each time I subscribe to MLBEI in order to see the Dodgers play. If the Dodger's channel is not even on DIRECTV it removes the biggest incentive I have for keeping the service active. As far as I know, DIRECTV is the only provider that has the full slate of MLBEI games(maybe Verizon as well), I know for a fact AT&T U-verse and Comcast, which are my only other choices, do not. Comcast's offering in the SF bay area consists of a pathetic 2 channels and it's a complete crap-shoot as to what teams will be on. 

#141 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,880 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'll be able to see the opposing teams feeds yes, but I won't be able to see the Dodgers broadcast if DIRECTV doesn't pickup the channel. And that doesn't guarantee I'll see every game either, but more importantly I would like to be able to hear the home team(Dodgers) broadcast.

I only activate my DIRECTV service for 6 mos every year during the baseball season and each time I subscribe to MLBEI in order to see the Dodgers play. If the Dodger's channel is not even on DIRECTV it removes the biggest incentive I have for keeping the service active. As far as I know, DIRECTV is the only provider that has the full slate of MLBEI games(maybe Verizon as well), I know for a fact AT&T U-verse and Comcast, which are my only other choices, do not. Comcast's offering in the SF bay area consists of a pathetic 2 channels and it's a complete crap-shoot as to what teams will be on.

We have gotten sports on out of market packages when the channel is not on. It lessens the chance of any particular game but it would not be unprecedented for the dodgers broadcasts to be on EI without the channel being on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#142 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,562 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

We have gotten sports on out of market packages when the channel is not on. It lessens the chance of any particular game but it would not be unprecedented for the dodgers broadcasts to be on EI without the channel being on.

Yeah, it usually depends on bandwidth since the RSN alternates get priority first so it's rare when the NBA and NHL seasons overlap, but when MLB is the only one we regularly get telecasts from CSN Houston, CSN Philadelphia and Rogers SportsNet along with OTA games.

Digital Cable is very hit and miss, NHL and MLB share 14 SD channels and 9 HD channels, if you're lucky enough to have a provider with enough bandwidth to carry all of the HD channels. There's also many instances where late games are joined in progress on nights when every team is playing.

#143 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'm not doubting that is the case, I've actually watched opposing team's broadcasts when the Dodgers were on their local TV station only(about 50 games per year on the old contract), in fact I have to watch the incredibly poor quality CSNBA broadcast when ever the Dodgers play the Giants.

The problem for me is that I'm basically paying about $75 per month for 6 months to watch the Dodgers play. If I'm going to pay that much I want to be able to see the actual Dodger channel. As it looks now I may not re-activate the service this season, and if DIRECTV won't go for it then I'll have to cancel it altogether and go with the much lower quality MLB.tv. 

Edited by keenan, 20 February 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#144 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, it usually depends on bandwidth since the RSN alternates get priority first so it's rare when the NBA and NHL seasons overlap, but when MLB is the only one we regularly get telecasts from CSN Houston, CSN Philadelphia and Rogers SportsNet along with OTA games.

Digital Cable is very hit and miss, NHL and MLB share 14 SD channels and 9 HD channels, if you're lucky enough to have a provider with enough bandwidth to carry all of the HD channels. There's also many instances where late games are joined in progress on nights when every team is playing.

With 9 channels you can just about get coverage of every game on cable, but I'm only aware of 2-3 systems that actually have that many channels devoted to EI, I believe Atlanta has the full 9 and Chicago has 7, the rest of the systems around the country have about 2-4 channels set aside for MLBEI. .

#145 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,880 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'm not doubting that is the case, I've actually watched opposing team's broadcasts when the Dodgers were on their local TV station only(about 50 games per year on the old contract), in fact I have to watch the incredibly poor quality CSNBA broadcast when ever the Dodgers play the Giants.

The problem for me is that I'm basically paying about $75 per month for 6 months to watch the Dodgers play. If I'm going to pay that much I want to be able to see the actual Dodger channel. As it looks now I may not re-activate the service this season, and if DIRECTV won't go for it then I'll have to cancel it altogether and go with the much lower quality MLB.tv.

Of course, that depends on how good the new dodger channel is. It may be good. It may be crap.

I've had no issue with CSNba quality. That may be your rooting interest showing. ;)

Edited by tonyd79, 20 February 2014 - 06:42 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#146 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Of course, that depends on how good the new dodger channel is. It may be good. It may be crap.

I've had no issue with CSNba quality. That may be your rooting interest showing. ;)

Due to it's location on the bay there's always moisture in the air and it manifests as video noise that you don't see in broadcasts on inland stadiums. The audio is highly compressed with everything at nearly the same volume, very little dynamic range in CSNBA broadcasts. Comcast is aware of the problems they have and actually made a few changes last year, but it wasn't quite enough and I've not followed up on it to see if they improved it even more this year. The signal for those games goes from AT&T park all the way back to a network broadcast center in New Jersey and is then sent back to local bay area headends. 

Could be the rooting as well!  :grin:

And being a Dodger fan from a very young age, like the early '70's, it would have to be really, really crappy for me not to enjoy it!  :)

Edited by keenan, 20 February 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#147 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,880 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Due to it's location on the bay there's always moisture in the air and it manifests as video noise that you don't see in broadcasts on inland stadiums. The audio is highly compressed with everything at nearly the same volume, very little dynamic range in CSNBA broadcasts. Comcast is aware of the problems they have and actually made a few changes last year, but it wasn't quite enough and I've not followed up on it to see if they improved it even more this year. The signal for those games goes from AT&T park all the way back to a network broadcast center in New Jersey and is then sent back to local bay area headends. 

Could be the rooting as well!  :grin:

And being a Dodger fan from a very young age, like the early '70's, it would have to be really, really crappy for me not to enjoy it!  :)

I believe all Fox regionals go through Houston.

The distance on digital signal means nothing and the fog would affect anyone doing a game in San Francisco, not other locations.

#148 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

I believe all Fox regionals go through Houston.

The distance on digital signal means nothing and the fog would affect anyone doing a game in San Francisco, not other locations.

CSNBA hasn't been a Fox owned or run station for quite awhile now, they are still a part owner but it's owned predominately by Comcast/NBC/Uni and the SF Giants, it also broadcasts in 1080i, and if I'm not mistaken all Fox nets are 720p. All I know is when switching between a Dodger broadcast(which was a Fox station) and the Giants broadcast the image and sound were far superior on the Dodger broadcast. If you look through the Comcast SF bay area thread over at AVS you'll see quality on CSNBA is a fairly common complaint.

#149 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

DirecTV CEO Vows To Resist Cable Concentration, And High Charges For Weather Channel And Dodgers

#150 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Is it possible that TWC will be more willing to compromise to avoid a long drawn-out battle in public with Directv at the same time the FCC/DOJ will be scrutinizing its proposed merger with Comcast?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...