Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

$5.00 for the new Dodgers channel.

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'll be able to see the opposing teams feeds yes, but I won't be able to see the Dodgers broadcast if DIRECTV doesn't pickup the channel. And that doesn't guarantee I'll see every game either, but more importantly I would like to be able to hear the home team(Dodgers) broadcast.

I only activate my DIRECTV service for 6 mos every year during the baseball season and each time I subscribe to MLBEI in order to see the Dodgers play. If the Dodger's channel is not even on DIRECTV it removes the biggest incentive I have for keeping the service active. As far as I know, DIRECTV is the only provider that has the full slate of MLBEI games(maybe Verizon as well), I know for a fact AT&T U-verse and Comcast, which are my only other choices, do not. Comcast's offering in the SF bay area consists of a pathetic 2 channels and it's a complete crap-shoot as to what teams will be on.

We have gotten sports on out of market packages when the channel is not on. It lessens the chance of any particular game but it would not be unprecedented for the dodgers broadcasts to be on EI without the channel being on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

We have gotten sports on out of market packages when the channel is not on. It lessens the chance of any particular game but it would not be unprecedented for the dodgers broadcasts to be on EI without the channel being on.

Yeah, it usually depends on bandwidth since the RSN alternates get priority first so it's rare when the NBA and NHL seasons overlap, but when MLB is the only one we regularly get telecasts from CSN Houston, CSN Philadelphia and Rogers SportsNet along with OTA games.

Digital Cable is very hit and miss, NHL and MLB share 14 SD channels and 9 HD channels, if you're lucky enough to have a provider with enough bandwidth to carry all of the HD channels. There's also many instances where late games are joined in progress on nights when every team is playing.

#143 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'm not doubting that is the case, I've actually watched opposing team's broadcasts when the Dodgers were on their local TV station only(about 50 games per year on the old contract), in fact I have to watch the incredibly poor quality CSNBA broadcast when ever the Dodgers play the Giants.

The problem for me is that I'm basically paying about $75 per month for 6 months to watch the Dodgers play. If I'm going to pay that much I want to be able to see the actual Dodger channel. As it looks now I may not re-activate the service this season, and if DIRECTV won't go for it then I'll have to cancel it altogether and go with the much lower quality MLB.tv. 

Edited by keenan, 20 February 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#144 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, it usually depends on bandwidth since the RSN alternates get priority first so it's rare when the NBA and NHL seasons overlap, but when MLB is the only one we regularly get telecasts from CSN Houston, CSN Philadelphia and Rogers SportsNet along with OTA games.

Digital Cable is very hit and miss, NHL and MLB share 14 SD channels and 9 HD channels, if you're lucky enough to have a provider with enough bandwidth to carry all of the HD channels. There's also many instances where late games are joined in progress on nights when every team is playing.

With 9 channels you can just about get coverage of every game on cable, but I'm only aware of 2-3 systems that actually have that many channels devoted to EI, I believe Atlanta has the full 9 and Chicago has 7, the rest of the systems around the country have about 2-4 channels set aside for MLBEI. .

#145 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'm not doubting that is the case, I've actually watched opposing team's broadcasts when the Dodgers were on their local TV station only(about 50 games per year on the old contract), in fact I have to watch the incredibly poor quality CSNBA broadcast when ever the Dodgers play the Giants.

The problem for me is that I'm basically paying about $75 per month for 6 months to watch the Dodgers play. If I'm going to pay that much I want to be able to see the actual Dodger channel. As it looks now I may not re-activate the service this season, and if DIRECTV won't go for it then I'll have to cancel it altogether and go with the much lower quality MLB.tv.

Of course, that depends on how good the new dodger channel is. It may be good. It may be crap.

I've had no issue with CSNba quality. That may be your rooting interest showing. ;)

Edited by tonyd79, 20 February 2014 - 06:42 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#146 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Of course, that depends on how good the new dodger channel is. It may be good. It may be crap.

I've had no issue with CSNba quality. That may be your rooting interest showing. ;)

Due to it's location on the bay there's always moisture in the air and it manifests as video noise that you don't see in broadcasts on inland stadiums. The audio is highly compressed with everything at nearly the same volume, very little dynamic range in CSNBA broadcasts. Comcast is aware of the problems they have and actually made a few changes last year, but it wasn't quite enough and I've not followed up on it to see if they improved it even more this year. The signal for those games goes from AT&T park all the way back to a network broadcast center in New Jersey and is then sent back to local bay area headends. 

Could be the rooting as well!  :grin:

And being a Dodger fan from a very young age, like the early '70's, it would have to be really, really crappy for me not to enjoy it!  :)

Edited by keenan, 20 February 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#147 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Due to it's location on the bay there's always moisture in the air and it manifests as video noise that you don't see in broadcasts on inland stadiums. The audio is highly compressed with everything at nearly the same volume, very little dynamic range in CSNBA broadcasts. Comcast is aware of the problems they have and actually made a few changes last year, but it wasn't quite enough and I've not followed up on it to see if they improved it even more this year. The signal for those games goes from AT&T park all the way back to a network broadcast center in New Jersey and is then sent back to local bay area headends. 

Could be the rooting as well!  :grin:

And being a Dodger fan from a very young age, like the early '70's, it would have to be really, really crappy for me not to enjoy it!  :)

I believe all Fox regionals go through Houston.

The distance on digital signal means nothing and the fog would affect anyone doing a game in San Francisco, not other locations.

#148 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

I believe all Fox regionals go through Houston.

The distance on digital signal means nothing and the fog would affect anyone doing a game in San Francisco, not other locations.

CSNBA hasn't been a Fox owned or run station for quite awhile now, they are still a part owner but it's owned predominately by Comcast/NBC/Uni and the SF Giants, it also broadcasts in 1080i, and if I'm not mistaken all Fox nets are 720p. All I know is when switching between a Dodger broadcast(which was a Fox station) and the Giants broadcast the image and sound were far superior on the Dodger broadcast. If you look through the Comcast SF bay area thread over at AVS you'll see quality on CSNBA is a fairly common complaint.

#149 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

DirecTV CEO Vows To Resist Cable Concentration, And High Charges For Weather Channel And Dodgers

#150 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Is it possible that TWC will be more willing to compromise to avoid a long drawn-out battle in public with Directv at the same time the FCC/DOJ will be scrutinizing its proposed merger with Comcast?

#151 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

I'll be able to see the opposing teams feeds yes, but I won't be able to see the Dodgers broadcast if DIRECTV doesn't pickup the channel. And that doesn't guarantee I'll see every game either, but more importantly I would like to be able to hear the home team(Dodgers) broadcast.

I only activate my DIRECTV service for 6 mos every year during the baseball season and each time I subscribe to MLBEI in order to see the Dodgers play. If the Dodger's channel is not even on DIRECTV it removes the biggest incentive I have for keeping the service active. As far as I know, DIRECTV is the only provider that has the full slate of MLBEI games(maybe Verizon as well), I know for a fact AT&T U-verse and Comcast, which are my only other choices, do not. Comcast's offering in the SF bay area consists of a pathetic 2 channels and it's a complete crap-shoot as to what teams will be on.

I forget who owns and fully controls extra innings rights and such. If it's the mlb they may show the Dodgers channel in extra innings out of market. They do that in other sports for a fee rsns they don't carry. Not sure as this is a new channel and have no idea how it's contracted yet.

#152 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Is it possible that TWC will be more willing to compromise to avoid a long drawn-out battle in public with Directv at the same time the FCC/DOJ will be scrutinizing its proposed merger with Comcast?

They've agreed to pay the Dodgers a ton of money, so they have limited ability to budge a whole lot. The Directv CEO's comments in the investor call made it sound to me like he placed blame more on the decision to pay the Dodgers that much, rather than Comcast being super greedy and trying to make a huge profit on the rights.

Personally I think the best possible outcome of the merger would be if the FCC told them they could merge if they divested all of their broadcast properties. Meaning they'd have to sell NBC Universal and the Comcast sports properties. I have no idea if that will happen, but large mergers often require divestiture of vertical integrated ownership in order to win approval.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#153 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

I know it's been said, but why a new channel...it's getting out of hand...

#154 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

From the LA Daily News,

Tom Hoffarth on the media: Dodgers’ SportsNet L.A. launch has a ways to go before everyone’s satisfied

http://www.dailynews...yones-satisfied

"TWC execs are optimistic at least one more carrier will be on board from the start. Most industry sources do not expect DirecTV to be there for the SportsNet L.A. launch, in large part because talks have only just started with the two companies that exist about two miles apart from each other.

DirecTV waited six weeks into the Lakers’ TWC SportsNet launch before yielding, which meant missing all eight exhibition games and eight more regular-season contests. For every day DirecTV abstained, it saved thousands of dollars, but then it had to decide if it was risking losing any more subscribers."

I'm not getting the context of the below statement. He is saying MLB.tv will not work for LA area residents, or that the channel will not be on MLB.tv at all?

"And, no, subscribing to MLB.com to circumvent the process with out-of-market game video streaming won’t work here."

Does "here" mean geographically or situationally? 

#155 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

From the LA Daily News,

Tom Hoffarth on the media: Dodgers’ SportsNet L.A. launch has a ways to go before everyone’s satisfied

http://www.dailynews...yones-satisfied

I'm not getting the context of the below statement. He is saying MLB.tv will not work for LA area residents, or that the channel will not be on MLB.tv at all?

Does "here" mean geographically or situationally? 

He means LA market. MLB owns the rights to MLB.tv games, not the local team or local station. They will be on MLB.tv but local markets (and teams) are blacked out. I live in the Baltimore/Washington market and I cannot get Orioles or Nationals games on MLB.tv.

Edited by tonyd79, 21 February 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#156 OFFLINE   keenan

keenan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

He means LA market. MLB owns the rights to MLB.tv games, not the local team or local station. They will be on MLB.tv but local markets (and teams) are blacked out. I live in the Baltimore/Washington market and I cannot get Orioles or Nationals games on MLB.tv.

That's what I had figured, but the way the article is written it wasn't all that clear.

#157 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

If you don’t have your Dodgers’ SportsNet L.A. channel by Tuesday’s launch, is your provider out to lunch?

http://www.insidesoc...r-out-to-lunch/

#158 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yankee feeds from WOR or WPIX are almost always on EI.  This is likely because the Yankees are in such high demand nationwide.  One could think that the same would apply to the Dodgers feed, but KCAL feeds were not included in the past.  It would be a shame to not have access to the Vin Scully feed on Extra Innings.

#159 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

I was checking my guide this morning and it looks like 689-1 and 690-1 are up as TO BE ANNOUNCED.. Has these always been here because I dont remember noticing them before today..

Ben

Voodoo

All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#160 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

I was checking my guide this morning and it looks like 689-1 and 690-1 are up as TO BE ANNOUNCED.. Has these always been here because I dont remember noticing them before today..

Ben
Voodoo

Those are RSN overflows, they've been there a while. If we do get it'll probably go on 690.

spam firewall