Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling loaded Hopper + Old Hopper - can each access each others recordings

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bradrlz

Bradrlz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Got my second hopper setup this morning and guy deactivated my Joey. I am able to see each others DVR's. The installer wasn't able to get it working. Thanks to the research I had done I was able to show him how to set it up. Thank god I am Joey free now and just have two Hoppers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Got my second hopper setup this morning and guy deactivated my Joey. I am able to see each others DVR's. The installer wasn't able to get it working. Thanks to the research I had done I was able to show him how to set it up. Thank god I am Joey free now and just have two Hoppers.

Got it working how? Do you have a HIC in your installation?

#23 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

What? He said an old Hopper and and a new HWS over a Hopper and Joey. 6 tuners vs 3 tuners.

I meant the Hopper+Joey, but Hopper+HWS yes 6 tuners.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#24 OFFLINE   Bradrlz

Bradrlz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Got it working how? Do you have a HIC in your installation?

I do not have HIC. Have whole house wired Ethernet and coax. Hopper with sling is hooked up to Internet. Had to do a hard restart on my existing Hopper with sling. Turn on MOCA on hopper with sling and enable bridging. Can now toggle between each DVR while in the DVR menu.

#25 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm curious, does anyone know if the new Hopper with Sling have any other improvements.

Seems like they must have upgraded something inside the box besides just adding the sling but would be nice to know if anyone has noticed any change in operation or heard anything.

I'm still in a bathroom remodel mode but getting close to upgrading to a dual Hopper dual Joey system and don't want to regret not getting at least one Hopper with sling although the sling thing isn't important to me.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Seen same FW (production and beta ) spooling to both models, I would say, beside Ssling function. they are the same.

#27 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm curious, does anyone know if the new Hopper with Sling have any other improvements.

Seems like they must have upgraded something inside the box besides just adding the sling but would be nice to know if anyone has noticed any change in operation or heard anything.

I'm still in a bathroom remodel mode but getting close to upgrading to a dual Hopper dual Joey system and don't want to regret not getting at least one Hopper with sling although the sling thing isn't important to me.

Hopper w/ sling has a faster processor and more RAM. Also has the ability to do Hopper Transfers with an iPad. Also has built in wifi instead of needing an external adapter. That's what I can think of off the top of my head
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#28 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hopper w/ sling has a faster processor and more RAM. Also has the ability to do Hopper Transfers with an iPad. Also has built in wifi instead of needing an external adapter. That's what I can think of off the top of my head

Thank you. That does make the Hopper with Sling a more interesting decision.
I have a friend who thinks the original Hopper could use a faster processor. Now I need to make my decision on which one to get. I know the wife's Hopper will be the original version. She won't know the difference...........:grin:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#29 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thank you. That does make the Hopper with Sling a more interesting decision.
I have a friend who thinks the original Hopper could use a faster processor. Now I need to make my decision on which one to get. I know the wife's Hopper will be the original version. She won't know the difference...........:grin:

:lol:
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Do you have any real info ? What CPU? How many MB ? Inside of the Hopper 2.

#31 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I can find out. Don't know off the top of my head, but as I recall, roughly twice as fast on the processor and twice as much RAM.

-Puck

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

If you'll give the CPU model and a size of RAM, then it will be easy to compare - H [aka H2k] got a lot more PR buzz with tech info.

#33 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

It has 2GB of RAM and a BCM7425 @ 1.3GHz.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

It has 2GB of RAM and a BCM7425 @ 1.3GHz.

And it came from "someone' ? ;) Any logs to see the numbers ?
Also H2k has 768 MB of RAM ...

Searching Internet ...
http://tech2.in.com/...broadcom/223752

Broadcom BCM7425

One of them, the platform based on the BCM7425 solution was quite impressive. It’s based on the 40nm fabrication process and can handle full HD 3D streams. The dual-core processor that is responsible for the capability runs at an incredible 1.3GHz. One of the interesting features of the solution is its trancoding capabilities and connectivity options. Wired and wireless connectivity is added by a separate BCM7424. Using it, you can stream HD channels to different devices in real time. It can do this using a number of resolutions, formats and codecs. At the demonstration zone, there was a console that was being used to monitor the statistics of the device. The product is one of the best solutions and is targetted at the premium user. We’re most eager to see a solution such as this end up in the Indian market.

Other place

l In the media server cable, satellite and IP STB market, Broadcom introduces two new 40nm cable STB SoCs that feature
an ultra-high performance MIPS®-based 1.3 GHz dual threaded applications processor with an additional 3000 DMIPS of
hardware processing performance, totaling 6000 DMIPS. These new SoC solutions complement the Broadcom BCM7422
and Broadcom BCM7421 (the industry's first 40nm HD full resolution 3DTV video gateway STB SoCs announced in
December 2010).
m At the center of the home multimedia network, Broadcom's BCM7425 is the world's first home video media server
(VMS) SoC solution to integrate a real-time HD transcoder coupled with a high performance applications
processor, full resolution 3DTV with SVC, an OpenGL ES 2.0 3D GPU and MoCA 1.1 for whole-home connectivity.
The BCM7425's HD transcoder converts broadcast, over-the-top (OTT) and user-generated content into a wide
range of resolutions, formats and bit rates that enable seamless content distribution to connected devices both in
the home and on-the-go, and also provides advanced services, such as video conferencing.

l All of Broadcom's new 40nm STB solutions include additional features such as DDR3 memory interface(s), next
generation security support, as well as support for platforms like Android and Linux along with compelling application
libraries and frameworks (DLNA® 1.5, Webkit HTML 5, Java, Nokia's Qt Framework including QtWebkit, DirectFB, RVU
Alliance's Remote User Interface (RUI), and the Adobe Flash® Platform for TV).

Some more interesting info you could find here: https://www.broadcom....php?id=s705350

NAGRA On-Chip Security (NOCS), a highly secure hardware toolbox, allowing operators to monetize services and protect business models
NAGRA Conditional Access and Digital Rights Management to create a strong content protection environment

Validated OpenTV 5 drivers are currently available on the flagship Broadcom BCM7425 Dual Transcoding Hybrid Gateway SoC. NAGRA OpenTV 5 can be supported on all of Broadcom's set-top box and gateway platforms.

About Sling features: http://placeshifting...om/tag/bcm7425/

And for new development : BCM7435, what doubled power of 7425 and "Expanded Video Capacity: supports security for up to 22 simultaneous video streams. " http://www.broadcom.....php?id=s656483

Edited by P Smith, 06 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Glad you could Google it, so now you can believe me. Or is it some sort of conspiracy?

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Perhaps from dish ... never seen any PR from them regarding CPU and other tech tidbits of H2, like it was for H2k.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...