Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk Quick Look: Nomad Spring 2013 Software

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

These three shows don't show up on any of our DVRs or on my iPad, PC or three other devices. The only time they show up is when I open the nomad app on my iPad (and this just started recently). If these shows are still stuck somewhere within my 48gb of storage on my nomad, how do I access them to kill them.

I think I might uninstall the app from my ipad and then reinstall.

DL them to your device, then delete.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

I failed to mention: When I click on the "download selected" for those three shows, nothing happens and I go to the main screen.
----
Completed the reinstall on my iPad. No longer get that screen. But I've also lost all of my auto-download series under the 'manage auto-download'.

#203 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 312 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

I almost pulled the trigger on buying a nomad. But since I will be the main power user of the device and they don't have Android or native iPad yet...I just couldn't justify spending the $149 right now.
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#204 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I almost pulled the trigger on buying a nomad. But since I will be the main power user of the device and they don't have Android or native iPad yet...I just couldn't justify spending the $149 right now.

I wouldn't let the lack of a native iPad app hold you back. I used the iPhone version on a iPad2 and iPad3 and it's very usable.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#205 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,647 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I agree with RAD. The iPhone app plays video on the iPad as well as Netflix, HBO-Go or any other video app, often better than the streaming apps.

How much time do you spend in the GUI to watch an hour program?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#206 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I am posting so that maybe I can save someone else some pain here. Just a couple of days prior to my last business trip I got the automatic download for the latest version of the software. I downloaded some programs for the trip so I could watch on the plane, and everything went fine with the downloads. I got on the plane, cranked up the Nomad, and got an error message saying there was a problem with my account and to call DTV. When I got to my hotel I tried to see if being connected to the internet would make any difference. It changed the error message to say the Nomad could not be found, but otherwise no difference. I called DTV and the tech told me to uninstall the application completely and reinstall it to see if it could find the Nomad.

I questioned this, telling her if I did that the Nomad would not be found. She said to go ahead and "uninstall everything." Stupidly, I selected the choice to remove all files and settings and hit the button. Then she said, Oh wait!"

Too late, it was already done. I don't think even if I hadn't removed the settings it would have found it. So there are two lessons here: 1) Before leaving on a trip, disconnect your client from your network and verify that the Nomad is working correctly when disconnected. 2) If you know more about the Nomad that the tech who is helping you, don't blindly follow their directions to troubleshoot or repair it.

Oh, and by the way, when I asked her if there was any news on the Android app, she looked through her notes and said nope, nothing new. Aaaarrrggghhh!

#207 OFFLINE   tgewin

tgewin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Any chance we'll see support for Airplay in the nomad app? I don't see anything about it in the current update. At least HBO Go has added it!

#208 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Who knows?!! Maybe the next update? (Soon?) It probably depends on individual contracts and HBO can do anything with their app.

It does work with mirroring via airplay to an ATV. We've taken both on vacation and used it via Apple TV or HDMI adapter. Not quite as good as native HBO but it works.

#209 OFFLINE   tgewin

tgewin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Who knows?!! Maybe the next update? (Soon?) It probably depends on individual contracts and HBO can do anything with their app.

It does work with mirroring via airplay to an ATV. We've taken both on vacation and used it via Apple TV or HDMI adapter. Not quite as good as native HBO but it works.

Wait, the nomad app works via airplay? I was thinking it didn't, and haven't gotten an Apple TV because I don't have a big need. If nomad allows it, I have a big need. :)

I mentioned HBO Go just to point out that content creators/networks are letting their stuff be shown via airplay, so I was hoping content carriers like D* would start allowing it too.

#210 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yes, just confirmed again that nomad works with mirroring on the iPad to ATV via airplay. And it looks remarkably good.

#211 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well, I recorded the premiere of Cult last night and its now up to 20 hours of "waiting to prepare." More Nomad BS. Nothing else is preparing, and I can stream the show just fine, but all it will do is "waiting to prepare."

Update: a reboot kick started the preparing, but it's still pretty lame that you have to reboot so often.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#212 OFFLINE   tgewin

tgewin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Yes, just confirmed again that nomad works with mirroring on the iPad to ATV via airplay. And it looks remarkably good.

Awesome. I guess I'll have to pick up an AppleTV for the tv in our exercise room that isn't currently hooked up to anything other than a DVD player. Between nomad and HBO Go, there should be plenty of stuff to watch while working out. Thanks for the info everyone!

#213 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well, I recorded the premiere of Cult last night and its now up to 20 hours of "waiting to prepare." More Nomad BS. Nothing else is preparing, and I can stream the show just fine, but all it will do is "waiting to prepare."

Update: a reboot kick started the preparing, but it's still pretty lame that you have to reboot so often.

That is weird. I've never seen that issue before.

#214 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Don't have an ATV here, so curious how that works. Do you mirror the iOS desktop, or is there a way to get the app by itself to communicate with ATV? TIA.
/steve

#215 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Yes, mirror the ios desktop. . . the same icon for airplay selection is available near the media controls on the multi-task bar.

ATV is handy for travel. It's so small and packs well with all our gadgets. Wife uses the Netflix / Amazon clients a lot.

I haven't checked lately but I think the HDMI adapter also works on nomad.

#216 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yes, mirror the ios desktop. . . the same icon for airplay selection is available near the media controls on the multi-task bar.

ATV is handy for travel. It's so small and packs well with all our gadgets.

Good info. Thanks!
/steve

#217 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

And I just confirmed the HDMI adapter works with nomad and the iPad!

And again, looks remarkably good!

#218 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

I had been debating pulling the trigger on a Nomad but hadn't yet because of some of the complaints. I called in today and was able to get one for free, which is the perfect price! Hopefully a native iPad app is coming, but I'm excited to try it out.
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#219 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I had been debating pulling the trigger on a Nomad but hadn't yet because of some of the complaints. I called in today and was able to get one for free, which is the perfect price! Hopefully a native iPad app is coming, but I'm excited to try it out.

You will Love it as I just got back from Skiing in Vail/Beaver Creek Area and on the flight out and back we had no Video on the plane (old Northwest Airplanes acquired thru the Delta Merger) but I had my Nomad and it worked and looked Great!!!

ENJOY!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#220 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Feel free to put a wager on the table.

Easy money is welcome here.

I'm starting to wish I put a one month bet on the table.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...