Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk Quick Look: Nomad Spring 2013 Software

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,800 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

The streaming is sweet to be able to take our recordings or a 'near-live' recording to the garage, basement or deck.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

When you look at the System Info on your client, it should show firmware 1.4p38-63447S.

Stuart - should be 1.4p38-64337S.

#23 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

The streaming is sweet to be able to take our recordings or a 'near-live' recording to the garage, basement or deck.

While I like the new update, I still get better results from my Vulkano and I can view it anywhere I have internet.

#24 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,800 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

And there are lots of places that the internet connection won't support streaming - or no internet at all. With nomad you can take lots of hours of programmng. Does your Vulkano do that?

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,023 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

And there are lots of places that the internet connection won't support streaming - or no internet at all. With nomad you can take lots of hours of programmng. Does your Vulkano do that?

Spot on Dennis.

Anyone who travels knows there are numerous places where streaming simply is not an option. Many of those locations also have very slow connectivity, so streaming is very poor and/or non-functional.

Streaming might be an option around the house in a controlled environment, but not when traveling. The only alternative is MiFi or LTE connectivity - both of which are very costly.

That's the beauty of nomad...no dependency on viewing content via streaming "on the road". I've used mine for years now, and it is a terrific option almost anyplace.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

just installed the PC client from the web... won't let me log in... works on the wife's iphone though...
on the PC the client tells me invalid login but I can log into the web page fine...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#27 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,800 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Try un-installing and re-install.

#28 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

just installed the PC client from the web... won't let me log in... works on the wife's iphone though...
on the PC the client tells me invalid login but I can log into the web page fine...

I had that issue. Do a full uninstall and reinstall. That worked for me. Be sure to Remove User Settings when doing the uninstall.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#29 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Have you changed your DirecTV web site password since your original install of the nomad software on your PC?

#30 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I like the reminders (in red) in the PC version about whether you can close app or need to keep open.

Attached Thumbnails

• nomad capture.png

#31 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yes

#32 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Have you changed your DirecTV web site password since your original install of the nomad software on your PC?

In my case, my username and password had not changed.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#33 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,682 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

I like the reminders (in red) in the PC version about whether you can close app or need to keep open.

Very nice!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#34 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

I had 15 programs that were stuck in "Waiting to prepare..." for about a month now and after the Nomad PC client upgrade the first one started to prepare. All signs point to "Yes" :lol: but it'll take some time to see if it completes the backlog that I have.

I'll come back and post a reply if they all finish. Playing with the streaming now and that appears to be a great feature!

The new PC client for Nomad appears to have fixed the endless "Waiting to prepare..." issue. I left it up running overnight and only have six more movies to transcode.

:righton:

#35 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Well, like any beta product, it appears to be two steps forward, one step back. I have no more endless "waiting to prepare" recordings (although the next Islanders game on NHLCI will be the real test). The 30 sec skip on the iphone is really nice. And the streaming is a major plus.

Unfortunately, there are two major problems with the new version. First, you now have to have an Internet connection to use the Nomad software. I tried watching the Nets game on my laptop, which finally downloaded yesterday, and it tells me there is a problem with my account (3 times). I try the same recording on my iPhone, no problem. I close the app, put the iPhone into airplane mode, and Nomad app can no longer start. Just get the spinning wheel forever. Turn off airplane mode, and viola, Nomad app works fine again. Since the whole point of the Nomad is to take your recordings with you, you know on AIRPLANES and stuff, this is a pretty major fail. I know this wasn't the case until the update, since I have used my laptop to watch Nets games while in the carpool several times before this.

Second, while the endless "waiting to prepare" seems to be gone, the transcoding times have increased depending on the length of the recording. A half hour show (the Simpsons) took 30 minutes, so 1:1. An hour show (The Following) took two hours, so 2:1. Last night's Isles v. Penguins game, a three hour recording, is nearly done at 12 hours, so 4:1. In the event that NHLCI recordings do actually work now, that will be a six hour recording, which would mean an 8:1 transcoding ratio, which would take 48 hours! I guess 48 hours is better than never, but not by much!

So, the improvements are major, no disputing that, but the new problems are pretty major too.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,023 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Unfortunately, there are two major problems with the new version. First, you now have to have an Internet connection to use the Nomad software. I tried watching the Nets game on my laptop, which finally downloaded yesterday, and it tells me there is a problem with my account (3 times). I try the same recording on my iPhone, no problem. I close the app, put the iPhone into airplane mode, and Nomad app can no longer start. Just get the spinning wheel forever. Turn off airplane mode, and viola, Nomad app works fine again. Since the whole point of the Nomad is to take your recordings with you, you know on AIRPLANES and stuff, this is a pretty major fail. I know this wasn't the case until the update, since I have used my laptop to watch Nets games while in the carpool several times before this.

Second, while the endless "waiting to prepare" seems to be gone, the transcoding times have increased depending on the length of the recording. A half hour show (the Simpsons) took 30 minutes, so 1:1. An hour show (The Following) took two hours, so 2:1. Last night's Isles v. Penguins game, a three hour recording, is nearly done at 12 hours, so 4:1. In the event that NHLCI recordings do actually work now, that will be a six hour recording, which would mean an 8:1 transcoding ratio, which would take 48 hours! I guess 48 hours is better than never, but not by much!

So, the improvements are major, no disputing that, but the new problems are pretty major too.

Your symptoms are not consistent with what others are experiencing.

First...the transcoding time is consistently 1:1 for the prepare stage and measured in minutes (less than previous versions). If you have a different experience, then something else is going on within your laptop environment to slow things down.

Second...transcodings that are 6 hours long will process but not play back. There appears to be a current limit to program length you can transcode - somewhere at the 5 hour level or above. There are indications this will be addressed in a future release.

Third...transcoding from an iPhone will typically be slower than a PC, as it is not directly connected to a high-speed network and relies on the data flow speed of your iPhone service.

Finally...while the transcoding process has always required an Internet connection (to not only authenicate your nomad account but also do the actually data download step to your device) - however it is not required for playback. An Internet connection would be needed to view content via streaming (Watch Now) as required with any other streaming service option. These things have been the case since day one of nomad.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

So DirecTV2PC has been around a long time, and it streams shows from your DVRs to your PCs without needing to prepare the files. I fully understand why Nomad needs to do this to put a local copy on your iPhone or iPad to watch away from home. It has to be put in a different format and be a smaller file. However, when streaming on your home network, why the hell does it have to go through the Nomad? Why wouldn't this update have gone to the DirecTV apps on iPhone and iPad and stream in the same manner as DirecTV2PC? If I don't have to store the file locally on the device, why should it be a reduced resolution? Why is the Nomad needed? Is it because the video format of the files on the DVRs is not playable in iOS or OS X?

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I just put my iPhone 4 in airplane mode. I got the message below that I needed to turn off airplane mode or connect to wifi to see my DVR playlist, but once I cleared it, I was able to get to my recordings.

Second, while the endless "waiting to prepare" seems to be gone, the transcoding times have increased depending on the length of the recording. A half hour show (the Simpsons) took 30 minutes, so 1:1. An hour show (The Following) took two hours, so 2:1.

Maybe your receiver got busy during the one-hour transcode, and it had to restart? I'm only seeing 1:1 here, no matter what the length of the recording.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0141.PNG

/steve

#39 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

If the problem is anything over 5 hours, record the hockey games on the regional sports network in the 600s the NHLCI channel is mirroring in the 700s instead of on the channel in the 700s. Then they are only 3 1/2 hour blocks which you can pad a half hour or hour and keep yourself under the limit where nomad fails. I think all Isles games are on RSNs that D* carries, correct?

#40 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Third...transcoding from an iPhone will typically be slower than a PC, as it is not directly connected to a high-speed network and relies on the data flow speed of your iPhone service.

Transcoding takes place between the serving HR and the Nomad device, no matter which client requests it, so transcode time is constant across devices. AFAIK, the only thing that will slow it down is if the serving DVR gets interrupted.

Copying the transcoded file to the client could take longer with a poor wireless connection, whether to an iPhone or a laptop PC, but since the Nomad device transfer rate only maxes out at about 2-2.5 MBps, even a decent G network connection should copy as fast as hard-wired. I know it does here, to my wireless G laptop.

Edited by Steve, 30 January 2013 - 12:03 PM.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...