Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk Quick Look: Nomad Spring 2013 Software

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Your symptoms are not consistent with what others are experiencing.

Finally...while the transcoding process has always required an Internet connection (to not only authenicate your nomad account but also do the actually data download step to your device) - however it is not required for playback. An Internet connection would be needed to view content via streaming (Watch Now) as required with any other streaming service option. These things have been the case since day one of nomad.

OK, I know that transcoding requires Internet, but now PLAYBACK requires Internet too. That's the difference that has me fuming. I had the Nets game transferred to my PC, not streaming, and it played fine in the house. As soon as I was in the car and out of range of WiFI, I got the "there is a problem with your account" error when I tried to start the app. I was able to watch the same recording on my iPhone, but as soon as I put the iPhone into airplane mode and try to open the app, it will not load. That means I can no longer PLAY BACK recorded programs that are SAVED ON my laptop or iPhone without an Internet connection. This is a major step backwards!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

If the problem is anything over 5 hours, record the hockey games on the regional sports network in the 600s the NHLCI channel is mirroring in the 700s instead of on the channel in the 700s. Then they are only 3 1/2 hour blocks which you can pad a half hour or hour and keep yourself under the limit where nomad fails. I think all Isles games are on RSNs that D* carries, correct?

Yes, and I normally record those games right off MSG+, but those programs are tagged as PPV, so Nomad would never encode them. It just keeps trying over and over, but never finishes.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

OK, I know that transcoding requires Internet, but now PLAYBACK requires Internet too.

Playback, in contrast to selecting the "Watch Now" option (streaming) does not require an Internet connection....I just did it on my laptop and tablet with WIFI turned off.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

just installed the PC client from the web... won't let me log in... works on the wife's iphone though...
on the PC the client tells me invalid login but I can log into the web page fine...

I am having that same problem and so is Draconis so maybe doing a Complete Uninstall and Reinstall will clear up the situation.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#45 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Try un-installing and re-install.

When you do the Uninstall are there any hidden files that also need to be deleted?

I did an Uninstall and a Reinstall and I still had the Problem where it didn't like my Password even though I can log into Directv.com using that same Password and it hasn't changed in over 5 years so Go Figure!!! :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

When you do the Uninstall are there any hidden files that also need to be deleted?

I did an Uninstall and a Reinstall and I still had the Problem where it didn't like my Password even though I can log into Directv.com using that same Password and it hasn't changed in over 5 years so Go Figure!!! :nono2:

Make sure that when you do the uninstall that you select to Remove User Settings. Once I did that and reinstalled, I was able to log in successfully.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Playback, in contrast to selecting the "Watch Now" option (streaming) does not require an Internet connection....I just did it on my laptop and tablet with WIFI turned off.

Right, but I think Islesfan issue is that he has the recording downloaded on his laptop and once he gets to an area that has no Wifi, the Nomad PC Client refuses to launch since it can't find an Internet connection. Obviously, that is an issue that should not happen.

@Islesfan: Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you load up the PC Client and/or try to start playback of the recording?

- Merg

#48 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Make sure that when you do the uninstall that you select to Remove User Settings. Once I did that and reinstalled, I was able to log in successfully.

- Merg

Thanks for the Info. :)
Here's My Setup

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

I am having that same problem and so is Draconis so maybe doing a Complete Uninstall and Reinstall will clear up the situation.

Did you get today's latest update that is prompted when you launch nomad?

#50 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Did you get today's latest update that is prompted when you launch nomad?

I got it, but if you can't sign into the app I'm not sure how you would get it. It looks like it performs the update check after it performs the nomad authentication.

- Merg

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I got it, but if you can't sign into the app you won't get it. It does the check for the updates after it performs the nomad authentication.

Thanks for the added clarification. I didn't experience any issues...it just installed right over the previous version and launches fine here.

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the added clarification. I didn't experience any issues...it just installed right over the previous version and launches fine here.

That's how it worked for me too. Although, it did revert my PlayList back to Tile from the List view.

- Merg

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

That's how it worked for me too. Although, it did revert my PlayList back to Tile from the List view.

Same here.

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

- Merg

Well No Success with Nomad on my Main PC after Uninstalling and Reinstalling Nomad it still does not like my Password which is Valid on Directv.com so whatever it has stored on it is Not Correct.
Here's My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Any idea why it won't work for me?

I just put my iPhone in Airplane mode and it works now, but my laptop still wants me to call customer service when it doesn't have an Internet connection. Could it be that I left home with an hour left on a different program? I still have last night's Isles game preparing, so it might be looking for that on startup, even though that's not the program I'm trying to play?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#56 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Any idea why it won't work for me?

Not sure.

Assuming you're referencing the PC client....did you get the update (prompt shows up) this morning, or did this happen before that?

There was a newer version (1.4.55.2) that got pushed out.

You could try to press the red reset button for 30 seconds on nomad and then try to relaunch it to see what happens.

#57 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Not sure.

Assuming you're referencing the PC client....did you get the update (prompt shows up) this morning, or did this happen before that?

There was a newer version (1.4.55.2) that got pushed out.

You could try to press the red reset button for 30 seconds on nomad and then try to relaunch it to see what happens.

I think that might be it. I got the update last night. Then I took it with me this morning. I'll bet it is trying to hit the Internet to get the update. It never asked to update, though. I'll try updating it when I get home and then see if it will work offline after that.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#58 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,174 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'll try updating it when I get home [...]

Yes. Don't update it while away from home. You may lose your downloaded recordings, due to a quirk in how they authenticate.
/steve

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think that might be it. I got the update last night. Then I took it with me this morning. I'll bet it is trying to hit the Internet to get the update. It never asked to update, though. I'll try updating it when I get home and then see if it will work offline after that.

That could indeed be it - it won't do the update outside your local home network. This fast update is highly unusual, so I think you'll be OK when you get back and execute the launch of the client & prompted subsequent update.

#60 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

...transcoding from an iPhone will typically be slower than a PC, as it is not directly connected to a high-speed network and relies on the data flow speed of your iPhone service.

Could you explain what you mean here? If I select a program to download to my iPhone, it will take longer to transcode than if I select it form my laptop? If so, it would be best for me to select what I want to watch on my PC, then after it is encoded, just download it to the iPhone.

I thought the work of transcoding was done in the Nomad, not on the iPhone/PC side? That's why you can close the apps and come back later to download the transcoded program.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

spam firewall