Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk Quick Look: Nomad Spring 2013 Software

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I got it, but if you can't sign into the app you won't get it. It does the check for the updates after it performs the nomad authentication.

Thanks for the added clarification. I didn't experience any issues...it just installed right over the previous version and launches fine here.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,284 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the added clarification. I didn't experience any issues...it just installed right over the previous version and launches fine here.

That's how it worked for me too. Although, it did revert my PlayList back to Tile from the List view.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

That's how it worked for me too. Although, it did revert my PlayList back to Tile from the List view.

Same here.

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Make sure that when you do the uninstall that you select to Remove User Settings. Once I did that and reinstalled, I was able to log in successfully.
- Merg

Well No Success with Nomad on my Main PC after Uninstalling and Reinstalling Nomad it still does not like my Password which is Valid on Directv.com so whatever it has stored on it is Not Correct.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Playback, in contrast to selecting the "Watch Now" option (streaming) does not require an Internet connection....I just did it on my laptop and tablet with WIFI turned off.

Any idea why it won't work for me?

I just put my iPhone in Airplane mode and it works now, but my laptop still wants me to call customer service when it doesn't have an Internet connection. Could it be that I left home with an hour left on a different program? I still have last night's Isles game preparing, so it might be looking for that on startup, even though that's not the program I'm trying to play?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#56 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Any idea why it won't work for me?

Not sure.

Assuming you're referencing the PC client....did you get the update (prompt shows up) this morning, or did this happen before that?

There was a newer version (1.4.55.2) that got pushed out.

You could try to press the red reset button for 30 seconds on nomad and then try to relaunch it to see what happens.

#57 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Not sure.

Assuming you're referencing the PC client....did you get the update (prompt shows up) this morning, or did this happen before that?

There was a newer version (1.4.55.2) that got pushed out.

You could try to press the red reset button for 30 seconds on nomad and then try to relaunch it to see what happens.

I think that might be it. I got the update last night. Then I took it with me this morning. I'll bet it is trying to hit the Internet to get the update. It never asked to update, though. I'll try updating it when I get home and then see if it will work offline after that.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#58 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,812 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'll try updating it when I get home [...]

Yes. Don't update it while away from home. You may lose your downloaded recordings, due to a quirk in how they authenticate.
/steve

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think that might be it. I got the update last night. Then I took it with me this morning. I'll bet it is trying to hit the Internet to get the update. It never asked to update, though. I'll try updating it when I get home and then see if it will work offline after that.

That could indeed be it - it won't do the update outside your local home network. This fast update is highly unusual, so I think you'll be OK when you get back and execute the launch of the client & prompted subsequent update.

#60 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

...transcoding from an iPhone will typically be slower than a PC, as it is not directly connected to a high-speed network and relies on the data flow speed of your iPhone service.

Could you explain what you mean here? If I select a program to download to my iPhone, it will take longer to transcode than if I select it form my laptop? If so, it would be best for me to select what I want to watch on my PC, then after it is encoded, just download it to the iPhone.

I thought the work of transcoding was done in the Nomad, not on the iPhone/PC side? That's why you can close the apps and come back later to download the transcoded program.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#61 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Could you explain what you mean here? If I select a program to download to my iPhone, it will take longer to transcode than if I select it form my laptop? If so, it would be best for me to select what I want to watch on my PC, then after it is encoded, just download it to the iPhone.

I thought the work of transcoding was done in the Nomad, not on the iPhone/PC side? That's why you can close the apps and come back later to download the transcoded program.

Preparing is done on the nomad device. Downloading is then done to the local device via WIFI.

I've typically found that initiating the preparing step on the local PC (connected to nomad) renders the fastest overall processing cycle time. I then just download to my mobile devices - which is very fast.

You can also start the whole process via the mobile device via WIFI, but is seems to take slightly longer going through the whole process.

#62 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Preparing is done on the nomad device. Downloading is then done to the local device via WIFI.

I've typically found that initiating the preparing step on the local PC (connected to nomad) renders the fastest overall processing cycle time. I then just download to my mobile devices - which is very fast.

You can also start the whole process via the mobile device via WIFI, but is seems to take slightly longer going through the whole process.

But you mean only a small difference, right? I was wondering if the fact that I requested the download on both my phone and PC was causing 12 hour preparation times.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#63 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,311 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

In some of the earlier firmware versions, I had some programs that would hang preparing or start preparing and then drop off the list. In viewing those programs on the TV, there were reception glitches that were probably causing that. A 30 second reset was necessary to get those off that were hung.

Deleting the program on the dvr and re-recording generally fixed it. But you can't always re-record a program.

Requesting a program from multiple clients doesn't affect transcode time. . it only transcodes once and remains in memory until it's bumped out.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#64 OFFLINE   kmcrobb

kmcrobb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Processing time will be impacted by someone watching a show using whole home. If you queue a show up for processing and then watch a show using whole home, processing will pause until Nomad has exclusive access to the DVR.

#65 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Processing time will be impacted by someone watching a show using whole home. If you queue a show up for processing and then watch a show using whole home, processing will pause until Nomad has exclusive access to the DVR.

I assume the same goes for DirecTV2PC? I don't have whole home, but I do have DirecTV2PC. Also, I assume that would be the case if someone was streaming from the Nomad too, right?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#66 OFFLINE   kmcrobb

kmcrobb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Very possible thou I have not tested it with DirecTV2PC or streaming. It would be a plausible explanation for not seeing 1:1 processing times.

#67 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

But you mean only a small difference, right? I was wondering if the fact that I requested the download on both my phone and PC was causing 12 hour preparation times.

There's something else going on there then because I've never had preparation time take more than 1:1 (4 hour program taking 4 hours), with download <16.5 minutes thereafter using the latest version.

#68 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

There's something else going on there then because I've never had preparation time take more than 1:1 (4 hour program taking 4 hours), with download <16.5 minutes thereafter using the latest version.

Well, if it helps, I haven't used DirecTV2PC all week. I have an HR20 connected to a WiFi access point, and an HR21 connected to a powerline connection. My WiFi is n only, I have nothing running g to slow stuff down. Once the program is finished transcoding, I can download an hour program to my iPhone in about 2 minutes. As I mentioned, the shorter the program, the closer I get to 1:1 transcoding time. It doesn't seem to matter, encoding wise, which DVR I am pulling from. Also, both of them stream very well to my iPhone and iPad using the Nomad. No stopping to buffer (except briefly after a trickplay).

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#69 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Well, if it helps, I haven't used DirecTV2PC all week. I have an HR20 connected to a WiFi access point, and an HR21 connected to a powerline connection. My WiFi is n only, I have nothing running g to slow stuff down. Once the program is finished transcoding, I can download an hour program to my iPhone in about 2 minutes. As I mentioned, the shorter the program, the closer I get to 1:1 transcoding time. It doesn't seem to matter, encoding wise, which DVR I am pulling from. Also, both of them stream very well to my iPhone and iPad using the Nomad. No stopping to buffer (except briefly after a trickplay).

Thanks for the added detail.

I'm almost wondering if the older model HR20 & HR21 content feeds perhaps slow down somehow on larger files...but that's purely speculation without any firm data to support it.

I'm running HR24 and newer HD DVRs only...so perhaps that may account for faster processing somehow. I'm also running a gigbit network and WIFI "n". Not sure how all that comes into play for nomad processing speed overall.

#70 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Not sure if this is the exact right place to ask, but since it's a nomad question here goes:

My wife and I are a mixed family, technology-wise. She's Apple and I'm Android/PC (pre-Windows 8). How does nomad work between the 2? When Android phones/tablets start being supported, would I have to prepare a file for each type of device? Or is there one file prepared that downloads and works on all devices? Right now, does 1 file type work on the iPhone and a PC?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#71 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,812 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Not sure if this is the exact right place to ask, but since it's a nomad question here goes:

My wife and I are a mixed family, technology-wise. She's Apple and I'm Android/PC (pre-Windows 8). How does nomad work between the 2? When Android phones/tablets start being supported, would I have to prepare a file for each type of device? Or is there one file prepared that downloads and works on all devices? Right now, does 1 file type work on the iPhone and a PC?

One size fits all. The same transcoded show can be downloaded to PC's and iOS devices today.
/steve

#72 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Great question actually.

The nomad device transcodes recorded content in 2 steps.

The first is to prepare the file into a compiled secure file internal of the unit.

The second step is to "download" (via WIFI) that file into the format of the client program requested, which varies by mobile device.

Example - if you prepared a program on your laptop and then downloaded it to the laptop, you could view it as desired. If later you wanted it on your iPad...you could request the same program on that device from the DVR playlist but only the download step would execute to meet the format of that particular mobile device (it's the faster step in the process).

#73 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Make sure that when you do the uninstall that you select to Remove User Settings. Once I did that and reinstalled, I was able to log in successfully.

- Merg

In my case it is a new install... on 3 different PC's and none of them will accept my login that has been the same since I first created an account on directv.com...

I called them last night and am working with case management on the issue...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#74 OFFLINE   kmcrobb

kmcrobb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

In my case it is a new install... on 3 different PC's and none of them will accept my login that has been the same since I first created an account on directv.com...

I called them last night and am working with case management on the issue...

I had this same issue after a past upgrade and we found somehow Nomad was removed from my DirecTV account. Once they added it back to my account I was good to go.

#75 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

The nomad device transcodes recorded content in 2 steps.

The first is to prepare the file into a compiled secure file internal of the unit.

The second step is to "download" (via WIFI) that file into the format of the client program requested, which varies by mobile device.

Example - if you prepared a program on your laptop and then downloaded it to the laptop, you could view it as desired. If later you wanted it on your iPad...you could request the same program on that device from the DVR playlist but only the download step would execute to meet the format of that particular mobile device (it's the faster step in the process).

Excellent Post!!! A Very Good Explanation of what goes on in the Nomad Transcode/Download Process. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...