Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Another Year without local HD channels

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yet another year has gone by with Dish and still no local HD channels for the Rapid City area. Yet another year that all the cable companies and Direct do carry them all. They say we are all very important customers and other areas are not more important than mine....You tell me.....Sigh :(

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

If its important to YOU, you add the necessary gear to receive them OTA. My locals recently became available in HD via sat, after 6 years waiting....I still use my OTA setup.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Although I don't know beforehand when new HD channels are going to be released, we have added new local HD channels recently to our channel lineup. I will submit a program request form for local Rapid City locals in HD. Thanks.

Yet another year has gone by with Dish and still no local HD channels for the Rapid City area. Yet another year that all the cable companies and Direct do carry them all. They say we are all very important customers and other areas are not more important than mine....You tell me.....Sigh :(

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

PLEASE! also add a request for HD locals for Lubbock, Texas.

My analysis of the spot beams really does not show a good candidate for us, we are on the edge of the Dallas, Midland and Amarillo spots but there evidently is not a spot for us, but who knows what they could cobble together after all we are more than 200,000 potential subscribers.

I have HD locals via antenna, but it would help when I have multiple things running simultaneously that I want to record and I have to record the local network in SD because I'm already recording another in HD OTA.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for putting in the request for me. Lets hope they actually listen to you....Tell me why I should have to spend extra money to recieve them over the air when I am paying to recieve them from Dish already....If and when I ever get them thru Dish, I will not pay any more for it as I am already paying for them now but not recieving this service. Makes no sense to me since every other provider in the area already has them in HD. :confused:

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

You are receiving your locals, just not HD.

HD locals are neither promised nor guaranteed.

But we keep on hoping!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well try this we are in Youngstown OH and are locals are on the Western Arc 129, but majority of the peple in this area cannot get 129 due to trees. You would think that they would put us on the Eastern Arc. We do have OTA, but we cannot use PTAT.

Edited by fmcomputer, 01 February 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

OP, if locals in HD are important, and you can't or won't use OTA, why did you get Dish, and why keep it? I say the same to NY customers about wanting SNY MSG and YES.

And aside from installing the antenna, what extra cost? Plus it adds value - an additional tuner.

I hate to break anyone's bubble, but there is no amount of requests that will add local channels in HD. National ones, can happen. The reason is it has nothing to do with Dish wanting to or not wanting to carry them. It is a matter of satellite space that covers your area, and/or agreements with the stations including getting the method of transmission from the channels to Dish. I suspect with the new 61.5 satellite now in place it is likely a greater chance exists for locals to be in HD if they are not now.

Edited by tampa8, 01 February 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Tell me why I should have to spend extra money to recieve them over the air when I am paying to recieve them from Dish already....

I have spent money putting up a powerful antenna and buying the OTA tuner for my 722. That just gets me two HD channels, CBS and Fox. These are high band VHF channels which make it the 25 miles over the hills to my location. The rest of the locals (Binghamton, NY) are on UHF and they do not come in, even with a high end UHF only antenna I bought.

So I also pay for basic cable service just for the locals in HD, though I can't record those.

The SD locals we get on Dish are sort of ok, for SD, except for the NBC station. For some reason that one is in a terribly fuzzy wide screen format stuck inside the 4:3 SD signal, with audio that sounds as if it was coming over a telephone.

I'd switch to DirecTV but I have tons of stuff on my EHD and don't want to give that up.

I'm hoping this situation is fixed soon or I'll just abandon all that EHD stuff and switch to the dark side - which has had all of the locals in HD for over a year now.

#10 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

I turned on the TV this morning to suddenly find I'm getting my local channel in HD. (WMUR ABC 9, NH). I say 'channel' because that's the only one in NH. :)
Now if they'd finally carry WGBH 2 (Boston public tv) in HD, I could get rid of my OTA antenna. I have been getting ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox in HD from Boston, fortunately. Well, fortunately if they ever had any shows worth watching. The only thing I watch on 9 is local news. But, hey, progress is progress.

My avatar says it all.

#11 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

PS - well, I am truly amazed. Along with 9 in HD, WGBH 2 is also HD, as is 11 (NHPTV). Where'd all this new bandwidth come from? Disconnecting my OTA today.

My avatar says it all.

#12 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Congrats...maybe someday it will be my turn....It is truly asinine that locals in HD and part time HD sports channels are not a priority for Dish and their customers. I really don't get it. Other than that I really do like Dish alot....honest.

#13 OFFLINE   renegade

renegade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

If its important to YOU, you add the necessary gear to receive them OTA. My locals recently became available in HD via sat, after 6 years waiting....I still use my OTA setup.

The Rapid City market is rather large ... the OP might not be able to get their locals via antenna.

Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc: 61.5/72.7/77 with 119 wing dish
3 - ViP 211k/1TB external drive
Solo 508 DVR - Let's Pay More Fees! <-retired
Solo 301E <-retired

subscriber since 2/2000
AT200/Superstations/East-West distant nets
HD for Life since 3/2011
OTA antennas pointed at two markets: 32 channels
dedicated to getting Superstations in HD on Dish Network

#14 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Good point. I actually live in the Lead/Deadwood area of the Black Hills. It is 50 miles from Rapid City. Which I know that some radio stations are actually a challenge to get sometimes.

#15 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Why would anybody want to disconnect their OTA antenna?

There are plenty of channels that satellite and cable do not carry, including lots of sub-channels. And, in an emergency (when the weather is bad, when cable TV is down, when the satellite dish is inoperative, when there is no power for the satellite gear....just a battery-operated TV set ) you'll need something. Also, OTA antennas work for FM radio.

Do you take the spare tire out of your car when you don't plan to have a flat?
Take down the mailbox, because you have internet?
Remodel the old kids' room, now that they are all grown? (Never mind...That one just might be a good idea :D )

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,332 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

. . . when there is no power for the satellite gear....just a battery-operated TV set )

Do you have a battery operated TV? I understand that they are available (there was a gap between the end of analog and the availability of battery operated TVs).

BTW: I have a generator that keeps my satellite dish running. And ATSC is weak enough that I need an outdoor amplified antenna to get a signal. I suppose I could get a bigger antenna and connect it to a battery operated portable. :rolleyes:

#17 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I was just watching a battery-operated ATSC TV a few hours ago. It's one of the ones the news department carries around, and was sitting on a desk.
I've got an old NTSC TV (uses internal "D"-cells) at home. I might dig up a DC-powered (via wall-wart) converter, but the TV sets are only about 50 bucks at Office Max.

Most of the consumer preamps I've seen use 12 volts DC for their power, so I think it wouldn't be too hard to rig something with clip leads and get one going.
Of course, you can also use Ham Radio in an emergency, too.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,332 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Most people are not going to bother with a MacGyver solution. If the ATSC tuner battery operated TV is not available off the shelf and useful for more than just emergencies they are unlikely to be owned. Connected to a home antenna would be a stretch. The whole point of having it battery operated would be to make it portable ... tying it to a fixed antenna loses the portability.

By the time I get the MacGyver solution running I could have the generator started. :)

#19 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I bought a portable DVD player from Micro Center that also has a digital/analog OTA tuner in it. It is portable, allthough the battery now doesnt last really long. It does have a car charger. Downside is the screw on ANT it comes w/ isnt as strong as my roof ANT. Basically you need to be within 30 miles of the towers, but it is useful during power outages. Also has an AUX input.

As far as costs go, I've seen some ANT's under $50, an the OTA tuner for Dish can be bought for a lil as $35 (not including shipping). Up front costs but no long term/continual costs.

Question though: directed towards JWKessler (an anyone else who might know), what would happen if you connected your cable tv feed to the OTA tuner input? I know w/ my cable company, Cox, they still provide analog service if you plug the cable straight into a TV, AND w/ a digital tuner, the HD Locals also come in right thru the cable. Verizon FiOS would also work this way too, allthough they may have changed that since the last time I tried it. I know a lot of Comcast systems have done away w/ analog service but has anyone tried to pull in a digital HD OTA signal directly thru it? I'm curious to test this myself but I dont have cable at home, I'd hafta take a receiver over to my folks house to try it.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,332 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

OTA reception from cable TV would vary so much between providers that it would be easier to say "hook it up and see what you get" instead of trying to guess.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...