Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Another Year without local HD channels

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Question though: directed towards JWKessler (an anyone else who might know), what would happen if you connected your cable tv feed to the OTA tuner input?

has anyone tried to pull in a digital HD OTA signal directly thru it? I'm curious to test this myself but I dont have cable at home, I'd hafta take a receiver over to my folks house to try it.

The OTA tuner in Dish receivers (and I assume DirecTV receivers as well,) will only receive and decode over the air digital ATSC broadcasts picked up by an antenna. It will not receive the old NTSC analog TV over the air or from cable nor will it decode the digital QAM signal used by cable operators. If my VIP722 had a QAM tuner I would be a very happy fella!

Most modern TVs and the few outboard tuners you might find will receive both ATSC and QAM digital signals. I don't know why QAM isn't included in the Dish tuner, but perhaps it was omitted intentionally to avoid conflicts with cable operators.

I'm unaware of any third party device that will tune in and record a clear QAM signal without paying a monthly fee. TIVO has a $15/month fee or a one time $500 life time fee. I contacted my cable company about renting one of their DVRs but that won't work unless I subscribe to a full digital package and I'm unwilling to pay for two TV services with lots of duplicate channels.

If you are looking to be really educated on all of these standards here is a good place to start.

http://www.engadget....-qam-and-8-vsb/

Edited by JWKessler, 25 February 2013 - 11:17 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Most people are not going to bother with a MacGyver solution. If the ATSC tuner battery operated TV is not available off the shelf and useful for more than just emergencies they are unlikely to be owned. Connected to a home antenna would be a stretch. The whole point of having it battery operated would be to make it portable ... tying it to a fixed antenna loses the portability.

By the time I get the MacGyver solution running I could have the generator started. :)

Most will just wait for FEMA, I 'm afraid. ;)

#23 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Funny....I just Google'd "Battery TV Sets", and saw a whole slew of sets in the 19-inch range, with built-in battery backup (like a built-in UPS). Seems that they were all designed for the African markets.
Guess they take their power failures in stride.

The little portable ATSC one's, like the news guys use, are from Office Max.

#24 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm unaware of any third party device that will tune in and record a clear QAM signal without paying a monthly fee.

Channel Master TV CM-7400 or HD HomeRun Dual both allow you to tune/record Clear QAM without a monthly fee.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#25 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Channel Master TV CM-7400 or HD HomeRun Dual both allow you to tune/record Clear QAM without a monthly fee.

The HD Homerun Dual requires a PC to do the recording. It's intended for viewing on your computer screen. I'm looking for a VCR type device that would work well in a home theater.

The Channel Master option IS what I'm looking for however. It's a bit pricy at $350, and risky since cable operators are now allowed to scramble local channels. If my cable operator does that I'll have a $350 door stop.

It would be so much easier if Dish simply gave us HD locals. DirecTV is looking more attractive every day.

#26 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

For about the same price, maybe $50 less, you can get an HD TiVo with lifetime subscription, if you are patient.

And the TiVo can iuse the cableco's cable card.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#27 OFFLINE   Don M

Don M

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Although I don't know beforehand when new HD channels are going to be released, we have added new local HD channels recently to our channel lineup. I will submit a program request form for local Rapid City locals in HD. Thanks.

Let me echo what Jim5506 said, only I would very much like the Amarillo locals in HD on DISH. I do get them using the OTA tuner in my 622s, but it would be great to  have them in HD straight from DISH.  Thanks for any help.

#28 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Let me echo what Jim5506 said, only I would very much like the Amarillo locals in HD on DISH. I do get them using the OTA tuner in my 622s, but it would be great to  have them in HD straight from DISH.  Thanks for any help.

Now see, Directv finally gave us our locals in HD after about 5 years of promising, and I dont use them, because I record the OTA versions through my dvr just like you can do with the Dish stuff if you have it setup that way.  I never have to worry about weather related outages.

#29 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Now see, Directv finally gave us our locals in HD after about 5 years of promising, and I dont use them, because I record the OTA versions through my dvr just like you can do with the Dish stuff if you have it setup that way.  I never have to worry about weather related outages.

Unfortunately I only get the two locals broadcast on high band VHF here. The UHF locals don't come in, even with the expensive UHF antenna and tall mast I bought. So I'm stuck with NBC, ABC and PBS in fuzzy vision. NBC is in wide screen SD within a little box, and has a terrible picture and crappy sound.

I'm giving Dish till the end of May to fix this, then I'll be switching.

#30 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

For about the same price, maybe $50 less, you can get an HD TiVo with lifetime subscription, if you are patient.

And the TiVo can use the cableco's cable card.

The bolded part is important since Cable was granted the ability to encrypt basic cable early this year and would require a CableCard to decrypt the HD locals. May not be happening where you are right now, but it will eventually. 

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#31 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

The HD Homerun Dual requires a PC to do the recording. It's intended for viewing on your computer screen.

It's intended for viewing on whatever size screen your HTPC is connected to. The PC I'm typing this on is connected to a 46" SONY LCD.

It would be so much easier if Dish simply gave us HD locals. DirecTV is looking more attractive every day.

I'm pretty certain that PBS is only available in SD through DirecTV, at least that's what I see for the Elmira/Corning market. Binghamton might be different though.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#32 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'm pretty certain that PBS is only available in SD through DirecTV, at least that's what I see for the Elmira/Corning market. Binghamton might be different though.

My friends with DirecTV in the Binghamton DMA assure me that they get WSKG in HD.

#33 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Praise Zeus! We got home tonight, the housemate turned on the TV and immediately started complaining. None of his network shows were recording and some channels had vanished from the favorites list. So I went to all channels in the guide and lo and behold, we have HD locals! I happily updated the guide, though at the moment the program data is still unavailable.

As a point of interest, even WSKG, our PBS local is listed as HD. I'm curious how these channels will look once actual HD programming is on the air. The locals I've checked so far are still unable to originate HD programming so local stuff and syndicated programming is in fuzzy vision. The actual network programming will be in HD.

Thank you Dish for finally coming through on this.

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

This just happened with a very recent uplink...  I'm not familiar with the DMA to know how many of the locals they uplinked (if it covers all the available locals or not)... but it was a pretty good list.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#35 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Is The CW in HD?

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

Is The CW in HD?

Yes. Whether your market's affiliate carries it in HD is a different question.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#37 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I show the following channels provided in HD from us: 7, 10, 14, 4, and 2 on satellite 61.5.  Thanks.

#38 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Ray:

Do we get our Lubbock HD locals Wednesday or must we wait another week?

I know you probably have no inside information, but I had to ask.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#39 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

I haven't seen any new information about HD local channels for Lubbock yet.  I'll keep checking and let you know.  Thanks.

Ray:

Do we get our Lubbock HD locals Wednesday or must we wait another week?

I know you probably have no inside information, but I had to ask.

spam firewall