Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM SL3 Vs. SWiM SL5 in Northwestern WI

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gbpackers74

gbpackers74

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I was wondering if I would gain anything if I change my SWiM SL3 LNB to a SWiM SL5? I live in Northwestern Wisconsin which is a Twin Cities local market. I currently have the top package, but will probably drop all the movie channels soon. Will I gain any channels by adding the 110 & the 119?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Depending on your package, 119 will give you the following without subscribing to the main Spanish package:
366 Jewish Life TV
368 Hope Channel
410 mun2
440 V-Me
447 Once
448 TBN Enlace
449 HITN
457 Ecuador TV
511 HBO Latino SD
807 Rat Pack
815 Holidays & Happening
824 Groove Lounge
852 Jazz
853 Metro Blend
855 Great Standards
861 PUMP!
865 Piano
870 Fiesta Tropical
873 Regional Mexican
876 Mirachi
877 Carnaval Brasileiro
880 Familiar Favorites
881 Italian Bistro Blend
882 Italian Contemporary
883 Irish
884 Tranquility
2119 CCTV News

#3 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

There is nothing on 110 (I believe it is only used for programming to Puerto Rico). In addition to the channels listed by KyL416, being able to receive 119 will give you the option to subscribe to the Spanish package.

I had a 5LNB from before the 3LNB was available and had nothing but problems because of limited LOS to 110 and 119. I replaced the 5LNB with a 3LNB about two years ago. Everything I need is on 103 or 99.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

And they put the Sonic Tap Holiday channel on a satellite seen on the 3LNB around Thanksgiving.

#5 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

And they put the Sonic Tap Holiday channel on a satellite seen on the 3LNB around Thanksgiving.

Yeah, they replace 801 Big Band/Swing for Christmas, but that's of no use if you want the Monster Mash and Ghostbusters during Halloween or some German music during Oktoberfest, or some Irish music for St Patrick's day.

Some have been able to get a free upgrade to the SL-5 by complaining about it to retention during other Holidays, as long as they subscribe to one of the packages that contain those stations.

#6 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I wondered why the Holiday channel seemed to be duplicated on 801 and 815 in December. Now I see it's because 801 is available on more users' dishes so they temporarily relocate it.

The dish/LNB names are confusing to me. I apparently have the 5LNB, which is "capable of receiving DIRECTV satellite signals on the Ku band (101°, 110°, 119°) and Ka band (99°, 103°)", yet only has three horns on it, despite the appearance of having room for two more horns on its little crossarm thing. :o
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#7 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I wondered why the Holiday channel seemed to be duplicated on 801 and 815 in December. Now I see it's because 801 is available on more users' dishes so they temporarily relocate it.

The dish/LNB names are confusing to me. I apparently have the 5LNB, which is "capable of receiving DIRECTV satellite signals on the Ku band (101°, 110°, 119°) and Ka band (99°, 103°)", yet only has three horns on it, despite the appearance of having room for two more horns on its little crossarm thing. :o

The large horn has three inside it.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Some have been able to get a free upgrade to the SL-5 by complaining about it to retention during other Holidays, as long as they subscribe to one of the packages that contain those stations.

Each and every DIRECTV English language package includes channels unique to 119W.

The only packages that don't require 119W for full benefit are the BASIC CHOICE and PREFERRED CHOICE packages associated with DIRECTV's international offerings.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Each and every DIRECTV English language package includes channels unique to 119W.

The only packages that don't require 119W for full benefit are the BASIC CHOICE and PREFERRED CHOICE packages associated with DIRECTV's international offerings.

If you're referring to the P/I channels (Hope, JLTV, V-Me, Once, TBN Enlace, Ecuador TV, CCTV News) those packages have them too, as for the non P/I channels:
410 mun2 -> Xtra or higher
511 HBO Latino SD -> HBO or Premier

Now the Sonic Tap channels are another monster entirely:
807 Rat Pack -> Entertainment or higher
815 Holidays & Happenings -> Ultimate or higher
824 Groove Lounge -> Xtra or higher
852 Jazz -> Xtra or higher
853 Metro Blend -> Entertainment or higher
855 Great Standards -> Entertainment or higher
861 PUMP! -> Xtra of higher
865 Piano -> Premier
870 Fiesta Tropical -> Entertainment or higher
873 Regional Mexican -> Premier
876 Mariachi -> Entertainment or higher
877 Carnaval Brasileiro -> Premier
880 Familiar Favorites -> Xtra or higher
881 Italian Bistro Blend -> Ultimate or higher
882 Italian Contemporary -> Premier
883 Irish -> Xtra or higher
884 Tranquility -> Ultimate or higher

As for free upgrades on the music channels alone, I've only seen threads about them giving free SL-5 upgrades for subscribers of Ultimate or higher when it comes to complaints about music channels. Some were related to the Jazz channels after they first moved them to 119, but most of it revolved around Holidays and Happenings. This was the first year they moved it to 101 for the entire duration of it playing Christmas music (11/1 - 1/7), in previous years they waited until after Thanksgiving before moving it to the 101 satellite.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

If you're referring to the P/I channels (Hope, JLTV, V-Me, Once, TBN Enlace, Ecuador TV, CCTV News) those packages have them too, as for the non P/I channels:

I was simply pointing out that as much as the apologist manifesto demands that it be dismissed, almost everyone subscribes to something that's only available on 119W but DIRECTV continues to outfit the vast majority of them with dishes that are incapable of receiving it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I was simply pointing out that as much as the apologist manifesto demands that it be dismissed, almost everyone subscribes to something that's only available on 119W but DIRECTV continues to outfit the vast majority of them with dishes that are incapable of receiving it.

Dish did similar things when the Eastern Arc launched. They made it a standard for the east coast to have dishes pointed at 61.5 + 110&119 instead of 129 which was too low in the horizon for the east coast. At first it worked since 61.5 and 129 had the same programming, but then they started putting some of 129's new channels on 72.7 and 77, forcing people to either miss out on the new channels or pay for the upgrade themselves since they were only providing it to new customers initially.

#12 OFFLINE   gbpackers74

gbpackers74

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll just stick to the SL3. Does't look like I'm missing much.

Thanks again!

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Dish did similar things when the Eastern Arc launched.

The difference being that DIRECTV went from a dish that worked to a dish that limits customer's access. The longer term situation cannot improve until they start paring channels at 101W.

#14 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

The difference being that DIRECTV went from a dish that worked to a dish that limits customer's access. The longer term situation cannot improve until they start paring channels at 101W.

Actually, for those of us on the East coast, the SL5 did not work. DirecTV told me several times that I could not have any HD because 119 and 110 would not pass the signal strength test. Even though I said that I was willing to have 90% of the HD and not worry about the few channels on 119 and 110, they would not allow it. I had to be able to receive everything, or else they would not allow me to receive anything. I finally was able to talk an independant installer to give me HD, accepting the fact that there would be a few channels that I could not receive.

At that time, ESPNU was still on 119, but that was the only channel that I cared about that was not on 99, 101, or 103. If I did not "park" the receiver on an SD channel before I turned it off, I would get the error message that said that the guide data could not be received, but I learned to live with that. Shortly after D12 went live, ESPNU moved off 119, and I was a happy camper.

Now that the SL3 is available, many people in the East who could not have any HD before can get it. I think that is a big improvement.

#15 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

fleckrj - not quite true, the SL5 works fine for most people in the East. The problem is that for people in the Northeast, the 119 satellite is the lowest in the sky, so if you are surrounded by trees, there is often no line of sight to 119. If you could not receive 119, DirecTV would not do an HD installation. That is still true in areas where 119 carries the SD locals, if your SD locals are from 119, DirecTV won't install (because they won't install an SL3), you still need to do it yourself (or get an independent installer)
In areas that don't need 119 for SD locals, DirecTv will install an SL3. But you can also use an SL5 connected to an SWM8 multiswitch which always takes guide data from 101 so you don't get the guide data problem.

#16 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

fleckrj - not quite true, the SL5 works fine for most people in the East. The problem is that for people in the Northeast, the 119 satellite is the lowest in the sky, so if you are surrounded by trees, there is often no line of sight to 119. If you could not receive 119, DirecTV would not do an HD installation. That is still true in areas where 119 carries the SD locals, if your SD locals are from 119, DirecTV won't install (because they won't install an SL3), you still need to do it yourself (or get an independent installer)
In areas that don't need 119 for SD locals, DirecTv will install an SL3. But you can also use an SL5 connected to an SWM8 multiswitch which always takes guide data from 101 so you don't get the guide data problem.

That is my point. For many people in the East the SL5 did not work. Because of trees in a yard three houses away, I couild not see 119, and that is not that unusual if you are in the east and have trees or hills nearby. When DirecTV first started HD, the SL3 did not exist. If you could not get LOS to 119, then there was no HD at all, even though more than 90% of the HD channels were on 99 or 103. Now that the SL3 is available, many more people in the east can get HD than could when the only option was the SL5.

#17 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

That is my point. For many people in the East the SL5 did not work. Because of trees in a yard three houses away, I couild not see 119, and that is not that unusual if you are in the east and have trees or hills nearby. When DirecTV first started HD, the SL3 did not exist. If you could not get LOS to 119, then there was no HD at all, even though more than 90% of the HD channels were on 99 or 103. Now that the SL3 is available, many more people in the east can get HD than could when the only option was the SL5.

And even in the MPEG2 days we couldn't get the HD content on 110 without access to 119. We were just stuck with whatever was on 101.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...