Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DirecTV move to H.265?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hope not. I'd hate to give up my HR20-700 w/ built in OTA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

The standard just received first stage approval by the ITC this week. So I think you're safe for now.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

The standard just received first stage approval by the ITC this week. So I think you're safe for now.

Well, I'm *sure* they will move to it at some point since it uses like 30% the bandwidth of H.264. That would allow for less compression, but I think DTV is more interested in adding channels, not reducing compression ratios.

Too bad, the PQ has really gone down since ~2000... but my bill sure hasn't :).

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,268 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Well, I'm *sure* they will move to it at some point since it uses like 30% the bandwidth of H.264. That would allow for less compression, but I think DTV is more interested in adding channels, not reducing compression ratios.

Too bad, the PQ has really gone down since ~2000... but my bill sure hasn't :).

You mean SD quality, right?

You know there is this new thing called HD? :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hope not. I'd hate to give up my HR20-700 w/ built in OTA.

If and when it does, you replace it with a newer model with an AM21 attached. Works exactly the same as your aging HR20. I still have one HR20, but only one, my other 2 are newer with AM21's...works exactly the same. Just because the HR20 has built-in OTA is no reason to hang onto it today since they have a newer equivalent.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

But the reality is we're talking a long time, if it happens and requires new hardware. There's a big difference from when they moved HD from MPEG2 to MPEG4. There are a LOT more receivers that would need replaced.

#7 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

You mean SD quality, right?

You know there is this new thing called HD? :)

No, I mean HD quality. HD quality is not all that great due to the high compression ratios.

Have you ever actually looked at the HD picture from not 15' or whatever away? I know you don't sit 2" from the TV, but look at it that close once. Lots of compression artifacts, pixelation, jaggies, gradiation issues, etc. I sit about 12' away from my 50" TV and I can see compression artifacts, etc. quite often. Not my signal. Everything is all 90+.

Do you have OTA hooked up? Do a side by side of a 1080i program from OTA vs. the same channel from DirecTV. You'll see the OTA version is quite a bit sharper.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

As H.264 [MPEG-4/AVC] came , the H.265 will be implemented in FW of stat muxers and new STB chips comes out, then DTV and dish and others will deploy new compression without hesitation.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,268 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

No, I mean HD quality. HD quality is not all that great due to the high compression ratios.

Have you ever actually looked at the HD picture from not 15' or whatever away? I know you don't sit 2" from the TV, but look at it that close once. Lots of compression artifacts, pixelation, jaggies, gradiation issues, etc. I sit about 12' away from my 50" TV and I can see compression artifacts, etc. quite often. Not my signal. Everything is all 90+.

Do you have OTA hooked up? Do a side by side of a 1080i program from OTA vs. the same channel from DirecTV. You'll see the OTA version is quite a bit sharper.

Considering the HD took a large increase in quality with mpeg4, I disagree.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

But the reality is we're talking a long time, if it happens and requires new hardware. There's a big difference from when they moved HD from MPEG2 to MPEG4. There are a LOT more receivers that would need replaced.

Exactly. A move to H265 would require a swap out of millions of existing HD boxes. The newest generation Directv just introduced might have chipsets that support the new algorithms, but all the others have much older chips.

As dpeters mentioned, this would be a much bigger project than the MPEG2 to 4 switchout from a couple years ago. And even then there were lots of customer complaints and additional costs involved. And, remember, back then there were only a handful of MPEG2 channels. There are over a 100 MPEG4 channels now that would have to be converted.

I believe 50-60% of Directv customers are now HD subscribers, so they have at least one HD box. That's 10-12 million boxes that might have to be swapped out. Will D* roll out H265? Sure, it'll probably happen eventually, but it isn't going to happen very soon.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

The fact that they are still on MPEG-2 for their standard definition channels should tell you something about future upgrading.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Well -that was a switch from bit-starved over-compressed MPEG2 to MPEG4.

You can't get better than the original MPEG2 the broadcasters use regardless of the type of re-processing compression used.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

For me, I'll take the MPEG4 we have over much less recording hours on MPEG2. I honestly have no complaints on HD quality with DirecTV.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

I did until I decided to upgrade to an HR34 and retired my HR20. I had made extensive tests of OTA vs. DIRECTV® and found no difference in acuity, contrast or saturation. (Even though I was expecting OTA to edge out the satellite transmission!)

I sit 8' from a Samsung 58" plasma that's two years old.

What model and age TV have you?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Well -that was a switch from bit-starved over-compressed MPEG2 to MPEG4.

You can't get better than the original MPEG2 the broadcasters use regardless of the type of re-processing compression used.

Who can't? :lol: Mike, seriously, you don't think there could be better codecs than MPEG2? Basis?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Who can't? :lol: Mike, seriously, you don't think there could be better codecs than MPEG2? Basis?

No one can!

I didn't say any codec was better than another. All I mean is that DirecTV cannot make the MPEG2 they receive from the broadcaster any better no matter what they do to it.

It can only go down from there.

The quality of the MPEG4 equipment will/does determine how much worse the re-encoded MPEG4 or MPEGWHATEVER will be - if any. But it won't be better than the original!

#17 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I dunno, I'm looking at my TV on "mainstream" HD channels, and I see gradiations, pixelation, jaggies, compression artifacts, etc. Its not a bad picture mind you, but its not a good picture either. I shouldn't see that kind of stuff on the mainstream HD channels like USA, CNN, etc. Ok, I'd expect to see it on the obscure channels like Golf and Fishing channels.

#18 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Exactly. A move to H265 would require a swap out of millions of existing HD boxes. The newest generation Directv just introduced might have chipsets that support the new algorithms, but all the others have much older chips.

Well, I'd be surprised if current hardware can do H265. You can't really do it in software as it is MUCH more intensive then H264.

There are over a 100 MPEG4 channels now that would have to be converted.

Thats irrelevant. One channel = 100 channels. Same difference.

With the MPEG2 -> MPEG4, they also switched from Ka -> Ku, so that was the big expense. If they can do H265 on the Ku band, they won't have to swap out anything except the boxes (even the latest boxes don't have the horsepower to do H265 via software only). With the Ka -> Ku switch, they had to launch new satellites, switch out all LNBs, multi-switches, new STBs, etc.

I was thinking about my original question, and honestly, it doesn't really make financial sense for DTV to switch out to H265 any time soon. Not like there are 100's of HD channels that they need to add.

They can add all the locals they want with spot beaming.

They don't care about compression ratios since they keep upping the bills and people keep paying and they aren't getting enough PQ complaints.

#19 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I did until I decided to upgrade to an HR34 and retired my HR20. I had made extensive tests of OTA vs. DIRECTV® and found no difference in acuity, contrast or saturation. (Even though I was expecting OTA to edge out the satellite transmission!)

I sit 8' from a Samsung 58" plasma that's two years old.

What model and age TV have you?

Panasonic 50" 1080p. Probably 5 to 6 yrs old.

#20 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

No one can!

I didn't say any codec was better than another. All I mean is that DirecTV cannot make the MPEG2 they receive from the broadcaster any better no matter what they do to it.

Not true. They compress it further after they get it from the broadcaster. Same way movies are shot in like 8K resolution and then reprocessed to 1080p.

I can't comment on what compression ratio they are using now since I don't know, but I do remember reading somewhere that they compress certain channels more then others. Like sports they compress less then the news or movies, etc.

spam firewall