Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DirecTV move to H.265?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

I tried the HD all option from ch 1000 and agree with you, performance is horrible. Looks like it downloads the entire list before displaying a page and then if you select a program and go back it downloads the entire list again, not a user friendly way to do it. Guess I never noticed that since I always go to a channel and then list from there.

I typically search or go to the channel looking for what I want.

While fios and Comcast menus are snappier, neither (to my knowledge) has a complete list like channel 1000 on DirecTV. Finding stuff on their systems is just as painful because the organization for all of them suck.

It is faster if I go to a specific channel but still clunky and I still have to start a recording, go back to the list and wait.... Better but still not even close to the speed of watching something OnDmand with Comcast. I'm no fan of Comcast but I can see why many Comcast subs don't see the need for a DVR at all.

I guess it just isn't for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

It is faster if I go to a specific channel but still clunky and I still have to start a recording, go back to the list and wait.... Better but still not even close to the speed of watching something OnDmand with Comcast. I'm no fan of Comcast but I can see why many Comcast subs don't see the need for a DVR at all.

Try it at next NR, I guess.

And any Comcast customer who thinks that is nuts. Not everything s available and Comcast on demand has always been jerky everywhere I've seen it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#123 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

So when you select a show to view is there a 'watch now' option besides record? If there is and you select watch now what happens?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#124 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I have Comcast's 25 Mb/s and I've never had to wait more than 2 minutes to start something I got from DoD and never reach the buffer. You may also want to check your network setup as something seems off.

Just like others have said, I avoid channel 1000 and either Smart Search or just go straight to the On Demand channel I'm looking for. With Comcast's On Demand, I constantly had issues with freeze frame, pixelation, just stopping halfway through and audio sync being over a second off. I felt rewarded when I finally found something that didn't have an issue.

My Comcast is double that speed. I've been through the network tests... I even used a DECA adapter to connect my laptop directly to the DECA network with the receivers. No problems with my laptop running full speed over the DECA network. Same performance as I get connected to my wired Ethernet network....

The slowdown has to be Comcast screwing with the competition or something up between Comcast - the Internet - and DirecTV's servers.

I've not seen the trouble with freezing etc that you mentioned but I've only used it here and there at a friend's house. My friend hasn't mentioned any trouble either. Maybe your trouble was with something in your setup.:)

#125 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

So when you select a show to view is there a 'watch now' option besides record? If there is and you select watch now what happens?

Wow - just verified that I don't have what it takes to subject myself to OnDemand! I saw your post and just went looking for anything that may say "Watch now" to try it. I couldn't find anything that gave me the option to watch now. Maybe the receiver verifies the connection is fast enough to do Watch Now and if not it doesn't give you that option? I looked through Showtime, HBO, just the general Comedy section and the Series TV sections - I couldn't find anything at all for 'Watch Now'.

I checked a few previews - those play without recording but it still takes 10-15 seconds for a low resolutions double boxed preview to start

Looking for something to watch is just painful - I'd have to have a specific show in mind before I ever tried again. Browsing isn't really an option because it takes sooo long. You spend a lot of time with just the DirecTV logo in the center of the screen waiting for something to happen.

Sorry to turn this into an OnDemand thread.... I figured new codecs could improve DirecTV's OnDemand but it looks like they need more than new codecs - it shouldn't be so hard to find something!

#126 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Wow - just verified that I don't have what it takes to subject myself to OnDemand! I saw your post and just went looking for anything that may say "Watch now" to try it. I couldn't find anything that gave me the option to watch now. Maybe the receiver verifies the connection is fast enough to do Watch Now and if not it doesn't give you that option? I looked through Showtime, HBO, just the general Comedy section and the Series TV sections - I couldn't find anything at all for 'Watch Now'.

I checked a few previews - those play without recording but it still takes 10-15 seconds for a low resolutions double boxed preview to start

Looking for something to watch is just painful - I'd have to have a specific show in mind before I ever tried again. Browsing isn't really an option because it takes sooo long. You spend a lot of time with just the DirecTV logo in the center of the screen waiting for something to happen.

Sorry to turn this into an OnDemand thread.... I figured new codecs could improve DirecTV's OnDemand but it looks like they need more than new codecs - it shouldn't be so hard to find something!

Again, sounds like a problem on your end..

Edited by Hoosier205, 09 February 2013 - 07:48 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#127 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Try it at next NR, I guess.

And any Comcast customer who thinks that is nuts. Not everything s available and Comcast on demand has always been jerky everywhere I've seen it.

We'll see - I think it's just not for me. I record most everything I care about anyway.

I think anyone that thinks they don't need a DVR is nuts! Maybe like everything else at Comcast the experience varies wildly depending on the market you're in.

#128 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Again, sounds like a problem on your end.

Of course it is!:rolleyes:

#129 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Wow - just verified that I don't have what it takes to subject myself to OnDemand! I saw your post and just went looking for anything that may say "Watch now" to try it. I couldn't find anything that gave me the option to watch now.

Strange, what model receiver do you have and what software level is it running? I know you've mentioned Showtime on Demand a couple times, if you go to channel 1545, select Series and then Borgias do any of them show "Watch Now" as an option right above record option? My understanding was that it should be there and it will try to do the watch now but if it determines your connection is too slow it will then give you the option to record it and watch later or just cancel it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#130 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Strange, what model receiver do you have and what software level is it running? I know you've mentioned Showtime on Demand a couple times, if you go to channel 1545, select Series and then Borgias do any of them show "Watch Now" as an option right above record option? My understanding was that it should be there and it will try to do the watch now but if it determines your connection is too slow it will then give you the option to record it and watch later or just cancel it.

I have 3 HR24-500 all running 062c software.

Just checked again and none of the Borgias have 'Watch Now'.

I think I really actually may have a curse!

#131 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

You do seem to always have weird issues. A setup with 3 HR24s should be ideal. Great setup usually.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#132 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

That was what I was referring to. Thought maybe you weren't up to date on software.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#133 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

last days you guys posting too much but the topic: H.265
:backtotop

#134 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

last days you guys posting too much but the topic: H.265
:backtotop

What? :confused:

#135 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

What? :confused:

He means we (mostly me) have changed the topic from H.265 to OnDemand...

I headed down that path because I thought DirecTV could improve OnDemand with new bandwidth and codecs...

Obviously you don't think so. But I still do! Even if they don't move more OnDemand to satellite the downloads would be smaller using newer codecs...

#136 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Logic will get you a long way however.

Alas, logic and reason take a back seat to resources and priorities. If logic ruled the day, CIG and scanning with the AM21 would be something that worked on the HR2x series (scanning on the HR34 and higher proves it can indeed be done). It logic was the driver, DIRECTV would either kill or fix TV Apps and Media Center.

Logic can apply, but it requires a complete understanding of all the parameters and contrary to popular belief, subscribing to DIRECTV does not afford one anywhere near such omniscience.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#137 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I headed down that path because I thought DirecTV could improve OnDemand with new bandwidth and codecs...

Given what's in the Clarke belt now (bandwidth) and what is installed in homes in terms of receiver technology (CODECs), this is not something that is going to begin to change for probably two years. It is surely premature to get excited about it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#138 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Given what's in the Clarke belt now (bandwidth) and what is installed in homes in terms of receiver technology (CODECs), this is not something that is going to begin to change for probably two years. It is surely premature to get excited about it.

I'm far from excited about it! :)

#139 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

If/when DirecTV starts to offer 4K or 8K material then I could see them looking into using H.265 since they will most likely have to offer new hardware to support it anyway. I would guess by that time they will have probably quit supporting the old SD Mpeg2 stuff and moved all the other SD and HD channels over to Mpeg4 (and replace all customers receivers with MPEG4 equipment), then they will have the new hardware that does 4K.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#140 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

If/when DirecTV starts to offer 4K or 8K material then I could see them looking into using H.265 since they will most likely have to offer new hardware to support it anyway. I would guess by that time they will have probably quit supporting the old SD Mpeg2 stuff and moved all the other SD and HD channels over to Mpeg4 (and replace all customers receivers with MPEG4 equipment), then they will have the new hardware that does 4K.

Though somewhat unclear at times, this was apparently what Philip Goswitz (DirecTV’s SVP for Space and Communications and R&D) had in mind last year when he stated the plan was move all remaining SD channels without HD duplicates to the MPEG-4 Ka band and cease with any SD MPEG-2 programming on the Ku band (at 101 at least) in about 5 years.

The freed-up Ku band (again at 101 at least) will then be used for 4k Ultra HD programming where I suppose a compression standard like H.265 would be indispensable, particular if the same legacy 24 MHz transponder bandwidth restriction is mandated for the old 12.2-12.7 GHz DBS band.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...