Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DirecTV move to H.265?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

It seems like the exotic stuff (3D, 4K) would be better placed in the exotic bands (I'm thinking RDBS) so that they can outfit those who can use it (a vanishingly small number) with special LNB assemblies and not take away bandwidth from the "conventional" satellites.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

It seems like the exotic stuff (3D, 4K) would be better placed in the exotic bands (I'm thinking RDBS) so that they can outfit those who can use it (a vanishingly small number) with special LNB assemblies and not take away bandwidth from the "conventional" satellites.

IIRC, Phil Goswitz commented on that issue as well. That the RDBS band was destined to be used for HD/SD International programming.

That is as an eventual replacement for the present SD only World Direct dish and service at 95w.

#143 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Some of you may have noticed you a few of your posts missing from this thread. I have deleted them not because of the content you posted but rather for other reasons that I can not go into.

If you have any questions please PM me.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#144 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sure of how many locals across the country Directv gets via MPEG-4, but I know here in Huntsville, they get the locals via OTA at their call center, and that's MPEG-2.

#145 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm not sure of how many locals across the country Directv gets via MPEG-4, but I know here in Huntsville, they get the locals via OTA at their call center, and that's MPEG-2.

I don't think they GET any locals mpeg4.

#146 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Could you give at least one example where [free] OTA is in MPEG-4/H.264 video compression ?

Edited by P Smith, 11 February 2013 - 06:51 PM.
correcting grammar errors

#147 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

If you could give at least one example when OTA is in MPEG-2/H.263 video compression....

P. Smith;

Correcting for grammar and the ITU-T's "H" series number for the MPEG 2 standard http://en.wikipedia....2/MPEG-2_Part_2.

Do you mean above;

"Can you give at least one example where OTA DTV is not in MPEG-2/H.262 video compression....?"

#148 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Could you give at least one example where [free] OTA is in MPEG-4/H.264 video compression ?

I can't name any, I'm just replying to comments made on the 2nd page of this thread. Network may be sending their stuff to affiliates via MPEG-4, but I don't know of a single one (affiliate) that sends Directv a MPEG-4 feed.

#149 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I can't name any, I'm just replying to comments made on the 2nd page of this thread. Network may be sending their stuff to affiliates via MPEG-4, but I don't know of a single one (affiliate) that sends Directv a MPEG-4 feed.

We don't have participants here like station engineers at AVS forum; perhaps real knowledgeable ppl could enlighten us ? Who knows perhaps inside station's infrastructure they using H.264 equipment, say for store old content/archiving ...

spam firewall