Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Concurrent Network recordings outside PTAT

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

If I have concurrent recordings set for more than one Network program outside of the PTAT hours, will the Hopper still be able to use only 1 tuner for this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

PTAT is the only concurrent tuner usually used except if the concurrent recordings are on the same channel. If there is another tuner available (being viewed at another location doesn't stop the tuner from being available). Fix for this is to have viewed tuner recording as well and it would force the recordings to be concurrent.

#3 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

PTAT is the only concurrent tuner usually used except if the concurrent recordings are on the same channel. If there is another tuner available (being viewed at another location doesn't stop the tuner from being available). Fix for this is to have viewed tuner recording as well and it would force the recordings to be concurrent.

Not sure I understand your answer. Basically what I am asking is if for example, I have a timer set for 1:00pm on ABC and another 1:00pm for FOX...will it use 1 tuner like PTAT or will it default to 2 tuners?

#4 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Someone needs to test that with the new sofware that allows access to the 4 networks with one tuner outside of PTAT hours.

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Not sure I understand your answer. Basically what I am asking is if for example, I have a timer set for 1:00pm on ABC and another 1:00pm for FOX...will it use 1 tuner like PTAT or will it default to 2 tuners?

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post, I didn't take into account you were trying to record two of the PTAT channels. Dish had a recent software update that turns on the PTAT system without recording, in the case you are referring to, both Fox and ABC should be able to record and still have the extra time recorded making use of only one tuner. I have not tried this but is should work as expected. Let me know if it doesn't.

#6 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post, I didn't take into account you were trying to record two of the PTAT channels. Dish had a recent software update that turns on the PTAT system without recording, in the case you are referring to, both Fox and ABC should be able to record and still have the extra time recorded making use of only one tuner. I have not tried this but is should work as expected. Let me know if it doesn't.

Cool, thanks. Getting upgraded this weekend from 1/622, 1/722 to 1 Hopper, 1 Hopper w/sling, 2 Joeys. Looking forward to playing with this.

#7 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

This will use two tuners. The locals recordings will only use one tuner during the Prime Time hours with PTAT enabled.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,612 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Someone needs to test that with the new sofware that allows access to the 4 networks with one tuner outside of PTAT hours.

The last time I tested I could watch as many as I wanted outside of the PTAT hours but could only record one using that tuner. If I started to record a second PTAT station it required a second tuner.

PTAT is the only concurrent tuner usually used except if the concurrent recordings are on the same channel.

You can do concurrent recordings on the same channel outside of PTAT???

In my experience, concurrent recordings of the same channel is not possible. If one sets a "end late" timer on a show and a "start early" timer on the next show and the two shows are on the same timer the recorder ignores the early/late on each recording. No overlap ... and no way (on a Hopper system) to use two tuners and make your own overlap. (On my 622 when I had a program that I wanted to guarantee an overlapping recording I would set one timer to the real channel number and the other to the mapdown. The Hopper system does not show real channel numbers where there is a mapdown.)

#9 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

The last time I tested I could watch as many as I wanted outside of the PTAT hours but could only record one using that tuner. If I started to record a second PTAT station it required a second tuner.

You can do concurrent recordings on the same channel outside of PTAT???

In my experience, concurrent recordings of the same channel is not possible. If one sets a "end late" timer on a show and a "start early" timer on the next show and the two shows are on the same timer the recorder ignores the early/late on each recording. No overlap ... and no way (on a Hopper system) to use two tuners and make your own overlap. (On my 622 when I had a program that I wanted to guarantee an overlapping recording I would set one timer to the real channel number and the other to the mapdown. The Hopper system does not show real channel numbers where there is a mapdown.)

I tried it once on the Hopper at work after all four channels started showing during non prime time hours, I will try it again when I have time.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,612 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I tried it once on the Hopper at work after all four channels started showing during non prime time hours, I will try it again when I have time.

Watching works ... but hitting the record button on more than one show (outside of PTAT hours) burns up additional tuners.

#11 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

This will use two tuners. The locals recordings will only use one tuner during the Prime Time hours with PTAT enabled.

Thanks. That's too bad. I was more curious than anything since I rarely would record multiple Network broadcasts outside of Primetime. That being said, the capability to use only 1 tuner is clearly there. If it can do it with 1 tuner from 8-11...it should be able to use 1 tuner at other times as well. I assume it would just require a small adjustment to the timer logic.

Can I say...Feature Request? :)

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

It's probably being worked on.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall