Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

History Channel looks bad

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I don't know if I need an new TV or if anyone else has been noticing this, but the History Channel in HD looks really bad recently. Most of their shows like Pawn Stars, Top Gear, American Pickers, has a reddish dark tint to them. It's almost too bad to watch. When they go to commercials, they look so much better than the shows.

Has anyone else been noticing this on the History Channel?

All other channels looks fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I don't know if I need an new TV or if anyone else has been noticing this, but the History Channel in HD looks really bad recently. Most of their shows like Pawn Stars, Top Gear, American Pickers, has a reddish dark tint to them. It's almost too bad to watch. When they go to commercials, they look so much better than the shows.

Has anyone else been noticing this on the History Channel?

All other channels looks fine.

Of the shows you mentioned, American Pickers is the only one I have watched. I have not noticed any problems with that show on any of my TVs. Given the nature of the show, lighting is not always optimal, but I have never thought it to be almost too bad to watch. I think that has more to do with the filming of the show than the HD broadcast quality on DirecTV. It is difficult to get lights into some of the places that Mike and Frank go. If it was a problem with History Channel or DirecTV, then the commercials would not be any better than the shows.

#3 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I never thought about lighting issue. Maybe they changed something in production or maybe I just need to get an new tv :). All other channels looks fine.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

It is important to check that nothing has changed with the TV configuration. Sometimes pushing a mode button will shift from a pleasing mode to one that isn't well suited to regular television viewing (game mode versus movie mode).

It is possible that the content is not entirely compatible with DIRECTV's proprietary proc amp "profiling" that it uses to make a "better" picture. Gamma correction that usually improves luminance pop and makes content more compressible may have the threshold set too high and darker scenes are getting dimmed.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

American Restoration marathon (Wed. eve) looked ok to me, but then most of that show appears to be shot outside in the sunlight.

#6 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

I watch the History Channel often & I didn't notice any issues with it.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#7 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

looks fine here.

#8 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Referring to the original post, I did notice a crummy reddish dark tint when the Pawn Stars did their Turbo Tax commercial segment.

#9 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Yes, usually when they are in the back room, when they are sitting down and doing one and one with the camera, it looks like the reddish dark tint on Pawn Stars.

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm watching Top Gear right now and it does have a red tint to it.

#11 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I really thought that I need to get my eyes check out. Tonight, there is an new Pawn Stars. It will be interesting to see if they corrected the problem.

#12 OFFLINE   bikenski

bikenski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

The other night I saw a promo for the new season of "Swamp People" and thought it looked dark and soft. It really stood out because last season's promo was absolutely stunning.

Doesn't appear to be a DirecTV issue, since the promo looks equally bad on History Channel's website too - http://www.history.c...eason-4-preview

#13 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I watched Pawn Stars last night. The first new episode looked fine, but the second episode looked darker than the first. It could be a post production problem. Maybe they are working in Canada.

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,163 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Referring to the original post, I did notice a crummy reddish dark tint when the Pawn Stars did their Turbo Tax commercial segment.

Went back and looked at my recording of Pawn Stars from last evening and both episodes looked just fine..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,955 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Watching the 2nd episode and when Chum called in there was a weird tint.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...