Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is there some way I can get the Directv national network affiliate channels?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I cannot get my local network affiliate channels in HD where I live here in Elko Nevada. My local channels are from Salt Lake City and Directv does offer those channels in HD, however my location is out of reach of the HD spot beam so I can only get those channels in SD.

Of course there are some national network affiliate channels in HD that I could get if they could turn those on for me. I called a CSR to ask if that is possible and she no. I am stuck with SD only. Also, in my location I cannot get OTA HD channels either.

So my question is, is there some way that in spite of what the CSR told me I can talk them into turning on those national channels for me? I thought I read somewhere but I can't find it now that it is possible to apply for an exemption that would allow me to do this.

Thank you for you help.

John

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

If you can get your local TV stations to grant you a waiver, then DirecTV can provide you with distant network channels, but if DirecTV provides your locals in SD, you are probably out of luck. It is highly unlikely that your local station will give you a waiver, and without a waiver from the station that holds the network rights in your location, there is nothing that DirecTV can do for you..

#3 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for your reply. How can I apply for a waiver? Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Call the stations and ask for the station engineer. If the situation is as bad as you say it is, he or she should be used to granting DirecTV waviers. They may want to come out to your house to verify that OTA is really unavailable to you. That is their right.

I couldn't get my Fox and ABC in HD off an antenna for years. I had no problems getting the waivers. Once DirecTV offered local HD insertions, the national channels went away.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#5 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thank you. I'll try that.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Try this first:

http://www.directv.c...80022#h:573.603

I think it will file waivers for you if it thinks you can get them. I cannot test it because I am not eligible.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't believe DirecTV will grant you waivers to get the DNS channels if they already provide you the channel (even if they only provide in in SD).

So if you get your local ABC in SD through DirecTV they will not grant you a waiver to get the DNS ABC in HD (or in SD).

However, if DirecTV doesn't carry your local at all then they will. For example here in Peoria The CW is a subchannel of our local ABC channel. DirecTV does not carry any subchannels in our area so I can't get the CW at all. So DirecTV was willing to submit a waiver for me, and grant me access to the CW DNS stations. Now I just need them to add the CW DNS stations in HD ha ha ha.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yeah. If you get locals, even if only SD, then you would not be able to get DNS channels. Those are only for customers who do not have the said local at all in their area. Sorry :(

#9 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Call the stations and ask for the station engineer.

I personally suggest to state your case in writing rather than over the phone. This will give the Engineer ample time to research things a little more throughly rather than provide you a an answer based on signal maps.

I don't believe DirecTV will grant you waivers to get the DNS channels if they already provide you the channel (even if they only provide in in SD).

It is not up to DirecTV but the network affiliates in his market. If they grant a waiver. DirecTV will be more then happy to turn it & charge him what ever the fee is now a days.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

spam firewall