Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Separator Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Do the separators that the VIP receivers use ever-go bad and if they do what sort of symptoms are displayed? My diagnostic screen shows one tuner has triple figure lost locks when compared to the other that has just double digits.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,818 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Separators may be the biggest point of failure item in the IF circuit.

The indicator is usually that one tuner will have decidedly different signal numbers than the other. That being said, the problem may be elsewhere but separators are relatively cheap to try.

Testing the tuners with individual runs from the dish/switch is where you go with suspect tuners.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Also, if you see a problem on only one tuner, flip the separator connections so each side is connected to the other tuner and see if the problem moves to the other one.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,818 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Also, if you see a problem on only one tuner, flip the separator connections so each side is connected to the other tuner and see if the problem moves to the other one.

Aren't the outputs dedicated to a certain numbered tuner?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,286 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Aren't the outputs dedicated to a certain numbered tuner?

FW expecting get some polarity at low L band (950-1450) and some at high (1650-2150) ... perhaps it's flexible enough to discover inversion, but who knows - test it and tell us

#6 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

No, you can easily flip the separator. It's a really good test if it's the separator/cable or the tuner card in the box itself.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,818 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

No, you can easily flip the separator. It's a really good test if it's the separator/cable or the tuner card in the box itself.

Flipping the separator gave me a complete loss if signal error on an otherwise functioning ViP622.

It may be that you're wrong or it may be that my dish stops functioning because it has lost power (SAT port 1 on the separator is the power passing port) or both.

At this point, I'm inclined to say that flipping the separator doesn't work with a working system, much less a questionably working system.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,286 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Technically speaking, against your theory working a fact: connectors on the separator and on DVRs clearly labeled as Sat1 and Sat2. So, it would tell us - FW is not capable to handle cable's inversion.

spam firewall