Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV new features: Far in Advance & Watch Now

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Better well done than medium rare? :lol:

In this case. I do like my steaks bleeding!

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I get about 55Mb/s download speeds and can get full HD from a variety of internet streaming sites, but DirecTV's Watch Now should be called Wait Now. Even if I buffer 10 minutes before I start the recording I can't get through a 1 hour movie without running out of buffer. The D* servers must be really underpowered or their network connection does not have enough bandwidth. Seems in poor taste to allow Watch Now on HD channels that their servers can't deliver.

steve

#43 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I get about 55Mb/s download speeds and can get full HD from a variety of internet streaming sites, but DirecTV's Watch Now should be called Wait Now. Even if I buffer 10 minutes before I start the recording I can't get through a 1 hour movie without running out of buffer. The D* servers must be really underpowered or their network connection does not have enough bandwidth. Seems in poor taste to allow Watch Now on HD channels that their servers can't deliver.

steve

That's really odd because I have a quarter of the bandwidth that you do and can use the Watch Now.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#44 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

DIY Rescue My Renovation is currently NOT showing up in Far in Advance.

Edited by Drucifer, 13 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#45 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Very Nice Dog and Pony Show!!! :D

Thanks for the Info!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

FIA for Survivor and Amazing Race ended up associated with KCBS instead of the Atlanta local CBS (WGCL 46).

#47 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

That's really odd because I have a quarter of the bandwidth that you do and can use the Watch Now.

Hmm, I forgot to say HD. Does it work well for you on HD?

I wonder if I have a network issue. The network is injected at an hr24 I have closer to my router. Maybe I'll try watch now on that to see if it is better.

Steve

#48 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hmm, I forgot to say HD. Does it work well for you on HD?

I wonder if I have a network issue. The network is injected at an hr24 I have closer to my router. Maybe I'll try watch now on that to see if it is better.

Steve

Only HD here. ;)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#49 OFFLINE   rcork

rcork

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Can someone tell me what the expected behavior is when a show does not have any broadcast airings in the next few weeks but there are VOD airings. I've tried searching for Grimm, which doesn't air new episodes until March 8th, and the VOD episodes are shown in the search results but i don't see a way to schedule FIA recordings of the show. I've also tried with Revolution and Warehouse 13 but i run into the same issue of seeing VOD episodes but can't schedule FIA.

#50 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Can someone tell me what the expected behavior is when a show does not have any broadcast airings in the next few weeks but there are VOD airings. I've tried searching for Grimm, which doesn't air new episodes until March 8th, and the VOD episodes are shown in the search results but i don't see a way to schedule FIA recordings of the show. I've also tried with Revolution and Warehouse 13 but i run into the same issue of seeing VOD episodes but can't schedule FIA.

Looks like you are right. FiA only seem to work for premier shows and not for programs that are on hiatus. Which means, that if hiatus shows must stay in the Series Manager, the Series Manager limit needs to be at least double.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#51 OFFLINE   rcork

rcork

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Looks like you are right. FiA only seem to work for premier shows and not for programs that are on hiatus. Which means, that if hiatus shows must stay in the Series Manager, the Series Manager limit needs to be at least double.

Ok, I didn't realize there was a difference between shows on hiatus and things that haven't premiered yet. Not sure i'm suggesting increasing an increase to Series Manager (but i wouldn't complain if they did) but it would be nice to be able to schedule FIA for shows that are on hiatus.

#52 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Ok, I didn't realize there was a difference between shows on hiatus and things that haven't premiered yet. Not sure i'm suggesting increasing an increase to Series Manager (but i wouldn't complain if they did) but it would be nice to be able to schedule FIA for shows that are on hiatus.

Well I'm at point now that I must delete hiatus shows in order to add a FiA. Which now, I probably wont do, because I don't know if I'll keep a FiA after watching the premier.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#53 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well I'm at point now that I must delete hiatus shows in order to add a FiA. Which now, I probably wont do, because I don't know if I'll keep a FiA after watching the premier.

Are you running into the limit on your HR34 already or just the HR2x models you still have? If its on the HR2x models, do you use any Boolean searches? Its a very convenient way to combine multiple tv shows into a single line items in your Series Manager. I probably have a good 70-80 shows in my Series Managers and I'm at 42 SLs.

Here's a good example that combines several shows into one line:

"AANY LEAGUE JUSTIFIED ARCHER TTITLE CCHANS 248" & show type, series

Whats in parenthesis is what you search for, whats after that is what you choose when offered the screens after you hit the red button to select a filter. It returns shows that match that criteria and when you choose autorecord, you choose new, repeats, both, how to retain(Until you delete, or disk full), and start and end times if you use extra padding. They work extremely well.

#54 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Are you running into the limit on your HR34 already or just the HR2x models you still have? If its on the HR2x models, do you use any Boolean searches? Its a very convenient way to combine multiple tv shows into a single line items in your Series Manager. I probably have a good 70-80 shows in my Series Managers and I'm at 42 SLs.

Not my HR34. While I have it nearly full because of about 20 Boolean Searches trying to catch old B&W mysteries, my problem is with my bedroom HR24 which records my SyFy, BBCA & and over two dozen science-like shows from Hist, H2, NGC, DSC, TLC NGW & SCI. These channels seem to have an excessive numbers of programs that go on hiatus from a few weeks to months with little or no hoopla on when they return.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#55 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Well I watch a lot of the same channels you do, except for less of the science shows.

I have about 10 series or so from SyFy in 3 or 4 ARSL's, and the 4-5 shows I watch on BBCA are in another 2-3 ARSL's. I never remove them from the Series Manager when they go on hiatus, I just add/modify based on new shows or when shows finish their runs. So based on your last post, if your BBCA and SyFy habits are similar to mine, even rounding up, lets say 30 science-like, give you 5 ASRL's for SyFy and 5 for BBCA, thats only 40 if you use ARSL's. Seems like you might be able to make it with room to spare if you are making good use of the Boolean ARSL's. My Series Manager's are literally nothing but ARSL's...with a few FIA's thrown in to catch the premieres of new shows. As soon as I decide whats a keeper and whats not, I convert them over to ARSL's and drop the count back down. Its not a perfect system, but it does easily allow for way way over 100 series/shows(literally 200-300 if you get 2-3 shows per ARSL) per dvr series manager. That can make for obscene amounts of tv to choose from, and to be all the shows I choose.

#56 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I've searched. Can't find exactly what ARSL stands for.

I figure it associated with Boolean Searches in Series Manager.

Anyway, with lots of First Air issues with BBCA & SyFy, any miss shows would be free standing when you click 'em in the Guide to record.

I had lots of Boolean Searches on my Den HR24 for home improvement shows. After a year I deleted 'em because they was too much work.

Even now with just using 'Mike Holmes', the Boolean Search is recording everything and completely ignoring 'First Run'
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've searched. Can't find exactly what ARSL stands for.

AutoRecord Series Link

I figure it associated with Boolean Searches in Series Manager.

You can setup an ARSL without using a boolean type search.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

DIY Rescue My Renovation is currently NOT showing up in Far in Advance.

Never showed up. It is premiering on 27 Feb, so it will be in the normal Guide by Friday night.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#59 OFFLINE   pandafish

pandafish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Watch now and far in advance are active on my hr24 as of today Feb 13. Anyone else see them?

#60 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 323 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Active here on 3 HR2Xs. Interesting, the splash screen when I turned on my receiver today only noted Watch Now as a new feature. No mention of Far in Advance.

I like the triangles in the corner in the channel number/call sign in the guide. Seems like much easier access to VoD than before.
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...