Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

question about install limitations

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

hi, just curious are there any restrictions or limitation on what the dish can be installed on?

specifically we have a building with corrugated aluminum that basically looks like this http://image.made-in...minum-Sheet.jpg ...but not sure if its possible to install it on such material.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Is the corregated aluminum attached to a roof decking or is it attached to only the rafters below.

For a stable install the mount needs to be lagbolted or otherwise connected to a very firm base.

The irregular surface of the corregated roofing will also create a problem.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I think you are asking for trouble there. I wouldn't consider it unless, like Jim says, it is a very firm base beneath it and then I wouldn't be sure.
I mounted a dish on a 4X4 post attached to a fence post which went into the ground and was very firm indeed. The only problem was that the ground here is clay and it expands when wet and contracts when dry. I had to repoint the dish shortly into the rainy season and shortly into the dry season. That got old after a couple of years so found a better mounting place.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#4 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

externally, the roof, overhang and walls are made up of it. basically the entire outside of the building is made of the stuff. this picture is identical to how the corrugation lines run http://rowenamaxwell...iron-shed21.jpg
not sure if that will help.
ps. anyone know how heavy the dish equipment is?

#5 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

externally, the roof, overhang and walls are made up of it. basically the entire outside of the building is made of the stuff. this picture is identical to how the corrugation lines run http://rowenamaxwell...iron-shed21.jpg
not sure if that will help.
ps. anyone know how heavy the dish equipment is?

It could be done but to me the simplest way would be to put a pole mount right next to the building.

#6 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

We did what was supposed to be a temporary install on a building made of that. We did however put up a 2' x 2' sheet of treated plywood that they had on hand on the building and then used regular wood lags into that. Just happens that the plans to relocate the building and dish never happened and that dish was there +10 years with no issues.

If the dish had been fastened directly there would have been too much side to side play when the wind blew on it.

#7 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

i've considered a pole.. only problem is it would probably need to be 10 feet high b/c of the line of sight clearance issue. basically the same height as the building. if i could attach it to the roof somehow, that would be ideal. maybe i could use something like concrete board, which supposedly its very durable.

#8 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

i've considered a pole.. only problem is it would probably need to be 10 feet high b/c of the line of sight clearance issue. basically the same height as the building. if i could attach it to the roof somehow, that would be ideal. maybe i could use something like concrete board, which supposedly its very durable.

If you dont mind attaching something to the roof you could bolt a non penetrating roof mount to the roof.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

you could bolt a non penetrating roof mount to the roof.

Sort of defeats the purpose...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sort of defeats the purpose...

You could install a corrugated roof mount (some dealers refer to this as a NPRM). :D

#11 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

aint nobody drilling any holes on my roof or house.
:nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

seems like i'll have to research this a lot more to figure out the best solution. in the meantime i found this site http://www.dbsinstal...hatisgood-2.asp that gave me a lot of useful info about installations etc.

spam firewall