Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question for the more knowledgeable!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm really not a tech type person and you pros here have always provided what hep I might need and now I need it again.

In my LR I currently have an HR34 w/AM21, a Pioneer receiver with surround sound hooked up, a DVD player and a ROKU.

Tomorrow I will be receiving a new receiver I purchased. It's a Yamaha RX-V373.

I'm a little concerned about tearing down everything and then installing the new receiver.

I have all his hooked up to an LG55LV5400 TV.

Some of my questions are:

1. Since the new receiver has 4 HDMI's, should I hook everything into it or directly into the HDMI jacks on the TV itself?

2. I use the RC65R remote set on RF. Will I have to do a complete reset in order to get it to control the on/off and vol on the Yamaha? I remember reading something somewhere about devices that are ARC compatible. Just can't remember what it was!

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I plug everything into the AV receiver, then one HDMI from that to the TV.

ARC is so that when a device is plugged directly to the TV, the audio can be routed back to the AV receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

1. Directly into the Receiver
2. Get a universal remote.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hook everything into your new Yamaha via HDMI then hookup the HDMI output of the Yamaha to your TV.

You will need to reprogram the AV1, or AV2, to control your Yamaha. When you do that you'll have the option of making the volume button control your overall volume. Or better yet, as spartanstew suggested, get yourself a nice universal remote.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

If you do get a universal remote, I would suggest getting one that supports "activities" as opposed to "devices", such as the ones from Harmony. With an activity, you would select the activity that you want to do, such as "Watch DVR" and your TV, A/V receiver and DVR will all turn on (if there not already on) and the TV and A/V receiver will switch to the appropriate input for watching your DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

As always, thank you all very much. Got the receiver today and will be setting it up in the morning.

As far as a universal remote goes what would some good recommendations be? I like the idea of an "activities" type of one Bill recommended. Would suit me fine since I so seldom watch a DVD I always seem to forget how to change everything the way it needs to be to watch one

Again, thanks guys.

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I would go with, and numerous users here will back me up I'm sure, a Harmony remote. I personally use a Harmony 700 in my bedroom and a Harmony 900 in my living room.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Harmony Remotes work great with D* and everything else. I tried the 700, but still prefer the XBox 360 Harmony Remote. They don't sell too well on EBay because people believe you need an XBox to be able to use one. I don't own an XBox but I have Harmony 360 reomtes at all 4 TV locations in my house. They are cheap on EBay, I purchased all of mine for around $30 and they will control everything.

The 360 does not have rechargable batteries so they don't need to be placed in a charger. I find the battery life is several months and I use them a lot.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks again guys. Just purchased the Harmony 650 at Best Buy. Will pick it up in the morning and hopefully have a trouble free morning of setting everything up.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Should be simple, all the devices should already be in the Harmony database. You'd just need to tell it what input each thing is on etc, if not using the default.

#11 OFFLINE   Glacial

Glacial

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

2. I use the RC65R remote set on RF. Will I have to do a complete reset in order to get it to control the on/off and vol on the Yamaha?

Unfortunately, yes. While the receiver works on RF mode, the other devices (TV, AV receiver, VCR, etc) all work from IR mode. And when the remote is in RF mode, you can't program any IR devices.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Unfortunately, yes. While the receiver works on RF mode, the other devices (TV, AV receiver, VCR, etc) all work from IR mode. And when the remote is in RF mode, you can't program any IR devices.

Not true.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

OK. Like I said, I'm technically challenged.

Setting up the system right now and am getting no picture or sound when trying to watch TV.

I took the HDMI cable and ran it from the TV to the HDMI out jack on the new receiver. Nothing! Shows there is an HDMI connection between the TV and receiver but no picture or sound?

This worked fine when the HDMI went from the TV into the HR34 but now when I reconnect it that way I get a pic but no sound! .

Seems like there needs to be an HDMI hooked up from the HR34 to somewhere?
I'm just at a loss. Aren't there some diagrams somewhere that could help an idiot get through this?

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

You definitely need an HDMI connection from the HR34 to the new receiver.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

OK. Like I said, I'm technically challenged.

Setting up the system right now and am getting no picture or sound when trying to watch TV.

I took the HDMI cable and ran it from the TV to the HDMI out jack on the new receiver. Nothing! Shows there is an HDMI connection between the TV and receiver but no picture or sound?

This worked fine when the HDMI went from the TV into the HR34 but now when I reconnect it that way I get a pic but no sound! .

Seems like there needs to be an HDMI hooked up from the HR34 to somewhere?
I'm just at a loss. Aren't there some diagrams somewhere that could help an idiot get through this?

Look at You A/V Receiver - (ONE) HDMI port is labeled MONITOR -Connect aHDMI CABLE to TV INPUT 1

Then From The Rear of The HR34 connect a HDMI Cable to Rear of A/V Reciver (MARKED cabld/SAT input)

Then Turn on your A/V amP, HR34, TV- From The TV Menu Selct HDMI input 1

you should see a picture and hear audio - as long as you connected the A/V speakers.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#16 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thanks again guys. I now have TV and DVD player working properly. I need get another HDMI cable for the ROKU and then I should be set.

Geez, then I have to set up the Harmony 650. All this is way above my pay grade so all your help has been deeply appreciated.

#17 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Geez, then I have to set up the Harmony 650. All this is way above my pay grade so all your help has been deeply appreciated.

When you start with the Harmony, you'll start thinking "What have I gotten myself into?" Don't worry. Once you get started, it should all start to make sense. If you have questions, don't hesitate to come back here and ask.

#18 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Bill.

Have it all set up now and it seems to work ok. It's controlling the receiver, HR34, my DVD player, the TV and the ROKU just fine. I've even managed to download a couple of icons for favorite channels so far.

Again, I want to thank all that made this go relatively smooth.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...