Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SD-DVR and Whole Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

I have 2 receivers, HD-DVR HR-24, and SD-DVR R-22.

I Cannot get the Whole Home DVR with the SD receiver!!! GRRR!!!

What would be my best upgrade option? Ditch the R-22, and replace it with a regular HD receiver, Or Get the HR-34 Genie, and move the HR-24 to the 2nd receiver position?

Or.. Get the HR-34 Genie, and another HD-Receiver.

What's the best option in terms of monthly fees? Cuz this "$69" package is running over $100+

And I have a solid home network setup thru Ethernet. Is DECA networking that much better?

Thanks for your advice, and help calculating fees.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

You can't do it with two boxes when one is an R22. It can do it when there are two official HD boxes, and the R22 is the third.

The lease and DVR fees won't change unless you add a third box, no matter what you replace the R22 with, other than from the February increase. Whole Home DVR is $3.

DECA is nice in that it keeps the Whole Home traffic off your internal network.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,250 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

It would depend on what your recording requirements are and, I would think, the pricing you can get from DirecTV.

You currently can record on four channels.
Replace 22 with receiver, you're down to two.
34 and 24, you're up to seven.
34 and receiver (or 31 client), you're at five.

Determine what you need and call them to see what it would costs.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

Personally, I would replace the R22 with a Genie if they offer you a good price. That will give you 7 tuners for recording and a lot of recording space. It will also get you upgraded to SWM as the Genie requires it. Turn on Whole Home for $3, hook up an Ethernet cable to the Genie, and you'll have a pretty good setup.

If you can't get a Genie, but get a good offer on another HD-DVR, I would replace the R22 with that, run Ethernet to each DVR and have Whole Home turned on in the unsupported manner. I recommend that if when you ask about the Whole Home Install, you can't get a good deal on it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

If you add any other HD receiver or DVR, you can get whole-home and the R22 (if you keep it) will work with it.

#6 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Thank you all for the insightful replies. Looks like I'll just stick with what I've got. Didn't get the "New HDTV" for the bedroom, so not really an issue at the moment :(

And the new HD channels, H2 is widescreened in SD. Always interesting to see how channels handle the HD format switch, and those of us with old CRT TV's.

And now I see this new HR-44 ! DirecTV really is staying on top of moving forward. Too bad I hardly ever record more than 1 show at a time.. All those "Honey, the cable DVR is full!" commercials aren't me.

I can still use DirecTV2PC for "whole home" on the laptop/desktop.

The Android App is finally useful, too! "watch live tv" and with Bluestacks it also works on the PC. I can watch NHLN when it's blacked out here (Buffalo locals) Apparently it feeds thru the internet, cuz my HR-24 was disconnected from the network when I was watching a hockey game the other day.

#7 OFFLINE   synpse

synpse

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

UPDATE: Had an issue with a FL billing address and a PA service address.. don't get florida locals in PA with this satellite setup. Called & got that fixed, and found I could get a FREE Genie upgrade!!

Happiness!

Box arrived today. Swapped with HR-24 HD-DVR. Same cables & everything. Unplug one, Plug Genie box in! Sweetness. Call & activate. Done! Already have a SWM system in place. No worries.

Moved HR-24 upstairs to replace SD-DVR. Same cables again.

Whole Home DVR works over the SWM. I was concerned about the wireless bridge. (linksys wet-610n).

RESULTS: I can record 7 shows at the same time. Pause either Live TV. And got NHL Center Ice package, too. It's 5:30am and I've been geeking out on this all night! Like a kid at Christmas.

The picture quality on SD looks better with the HD-DVR/HR-24 instead of the SD-DVR/R-22. Can't quite get the "Format" button to get the correct screen size on some shows, tho.

People on the phone knew what they were talking about, too!

MSG-Buffalo Sabres, I was blacked out on all channels. Called and she clicked some button, and it worked within a minute!!

Edited by synpse, 02 March 2013 - 04:34 AM.
SWM note

spam firewall