Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Watching DVR content or live TV on laptop?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpusa

dpusa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

All

As some of you know I am an ex DirecTV customer looking to come back once we move. I want to reduce (where possible) the number of receivers and as such have two questions which I couldnt accurately find through search.

1. Can the content of the DVR be watching on a PC or an ipad within my home?
2. Can I watch my Directv channels live on my PC or ipad within my home?

Thanks so much

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

There was a program that let you play DVR content on your PC, it required above average CPU/GPU/Memory... So it never worked we'll for me. (Despite having an ATI graphics that are capable of playing BluRay)

I thought I heard that was no longer supported, as now there is DirecTv Everywhere...which means some live channels are available when you are on your home's wifi, and a couple of channels are available elsewhere in the US. You can use DirecTv Everywhere on a laptop, iPad, iPhone, but not a Droid tablet.

There is also an available Nomad box that lets you download DVR content to your PC or iPad.

Neither solution would be as good as a Slingbox, but may work for you.

#3 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

1. I believe the latest Nomad software update will allow you to live stream recorded content from your DVR to your device. That might be a good solution for you...

2. Yes you can stream some channels in-home, currently at about 60 or so.

#4 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

View DVR-recorded programs on networked PC: http://www.directv.c...logy/directv2pc
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

hmmmm. i've got a droid, and the directv everywhere app, and it works just as well as the app for the ipad.

#6 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

hmmmm. i've got a droid, and the directv everywhere app, and it works just as well as the app for the ipad.

Droid phone or tablet? I only see a mention of a Droid phone app.

#7 OFFLINE   dpusa

dpusa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks all...

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

For the channels that stream onto an iDevice or a Droid phone via the DirecTV app, the PQ is better than the Slingbox. And it does not tie up a DVR/receiver to use it. It also has on demand programming for many channels available as well.

Where the Slingbox wins is for those channels not on the app, for prerecorded programs and for when you are not in your local network.

Depends on what your viewing habits are and how many people in your household will be watching at the same time.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

i use a droid phone. i dont see why one could couldnt download the app from google play and try it on a tablet. google play will tell you if it is compatible or not. be interesting to know...

#10 OFFLINE   Singe0255

Singe0255

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) and am running the android phone app. It works fine for both On Demand programming and the available Live TV channels.
All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of DIRECTV, National Electronics Warranty, or any other entity that I share affiliation with.

#11 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

i remember directv announcing a while back that the android app was out. good to know!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...