Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Watching DVR content or live TV on laptop?
Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 AM
As some of you know I am an ex DirecTV customer looking to come back once we move. I want to reduce (where possible) the number of receivers and as such have two questions which I couldnt accurately find through search.
1. Can the content of the DVR be watching on a PC or an ipad within my home?
2. Can I watch my Directv channels live on my PC or ipad within my home?
Thanks so much
Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:23 PM
I thought I heard that was no longer supported, as now there is DirecTv Everywhere...which means some live channels are available when you are on your home's wifi, and a couple of channels are available elsewhere in the US. You can use DirecTv Everywhere on a laptop, iPad, iPhone, but not a Droid tablet.
There is also an available Nomad box that lets you download DVR content to your PC or iPad.
Neither solution would be as good as a Slingbox, but may work for you.
Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:37 PM
2. Yes you can stream some channels in-home, currently at about 60 or so.
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:14 PM
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 PM
hmmmm. i've got a droid, and the directv everywhere app, and it works just as well as the app for the ipad.
Droid phone or tablet? I only see a mention of a Droid phone app.
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 PM
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 PM
Where the Slingbox wins is for those channels not on the app, for prerecorded programs and for when you are not in your local network.
Depends on what your viewing habits are and how many people in your household will be watching at the same time.
BR: HR20-100, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:38 PM
Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 PM
Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:50 PM