Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about two receivers - one on top of the other

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

The situation is I have a new HR 34, and right on top of it is my old HR22...or 23...I forget!

The reason I have two is that I still have some recorded content on the old DVR which I want to watch....when I was done I was going to get rid of it....and stop paying for it. I control them through the TV remote, going back and forth between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

I keep the old DVR unplugged, only turning it on occasionally at night when I want to watch something recorded on it.

Anyway, my question stems from the fact that I bumped into a very odd phenomenon. Apparently because the DVR is off almost all the time it forgets where I live when I turn it on! This resulted in me being able to watch my home team, the New York Rangers, on Hockey Night in Canada last Saturday on the NHL Network. Normally I would be blacked out on that channel, but on Saturday night, on my old DVR, it was MSG that was blacked out instead.

Wonderful!

I plan to exploit this further (while it lasts), but now I have a question I did not anticipate....how can I control one DVR with the remote, and not the other one? I tried covering it with a towel....did not work. The remote still worked right thru the towel!

I also tried turning a DVR off, which also did not work...apparently using the Guide button (and other buttons as well), turns a DVR on....without even hitting the ON button!

To make this even 'weirder', this phenomenon works for NHL games, but not NBA. I have both Center Ice and League Pass, and for Center Ice it thinks I am not in the NY market. But for League Pass, it thinks I am in NY. Go figure!

Any remote help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sandra

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,721 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

You can change the IR code by going into the setup menu.
You'll need to block the other receiver with something more than a towel. I use postcard type items for this.
A.K.A VOS

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,724 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

One thing to keep in mind, though it may not apply in a real world scenario for you:

If you change the code on a -100 device, it won't use that code during boot, it will use the default one. Something to keep in mind if you ever need to go into the boot up diagnostics, etc.

spam firewall