Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Undefined OSD'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Came home last night and my HR 22 wouldn't boot up, had a weird looking progress bar sitting there. I unplugged it, nothing, tried again and same story.

Here's what happens:

It gets to the finding satellite stage and hangs. The % satellite bar opens but never loads, never moves. Then the screen changes, looks a bit like it does after you delete something from the list, that barber pole looking thing lays there.

If you punch menu, the icons come up but no text under them and nothing responds. Push list and the recordings show but won't play and some of the dates are corrupted. Meanwhile, up in the LH corner, the PIP box displays Undefined OSD.

My other 2 units, an HR22 and a SD H22 work fine. I called tech support and they are sending me a new HR24, no charge. I could upgrade to an HR34 but I think I'll wait until summer or fall to get an HR 44 .

DTV is aware of the issue and still not sure what happened but it appears some software upgrade somehow killed the guide data. A few folks report that if DTV sends a signal to the rcvr at exactly the right time, they can jog the thing into working but mine is dead....just in time for SB weekend. I should have a new one by Sat or could move my other unit if I have to....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

It's an authorization problem caused by a guide data download issue. Here's the temporary fix (courtesy of litzdog over on the DirecTV forum), DirecTV is working on clearing the problem permanently.

• Either call DirecTV support (1 800 DIRECTV), or be ready in your DirecTV.com account to resend authorizations (http://www.directv.com/resend)
  • Reset your Receiver/DVR (red button behind front panel access card door)
  • Watch the on-screen messages as the Receiver/DVR reboots
  • At the point that the messages "downloading guide data", resend the authorization (either with a phone rep or via http://www.directv.com/resend)
  • After the authorization is re-sent, reset the DVR again (red button)

The "trick" is to reboot, resend the authorization, then reboot again within 30-min. This forces the Guide Data to be rebuilt.

FYI, replacing the receiver won't help.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 01 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

My rcvr never gets to 'downloading guide data'. It goes from 'checking satellites, step 1 of 2' and then goes to a progress bar that never moves, never shows any %.

The other 2 work fine - so why wouldn't replacing it fix my issue?

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

My rcvr never gets to 'downloading guide data'. It goes from 'checking satellites, step 1 of 2' and then goes to a progress bar that never moves, never shows any %.

The other 2 work fine - so why wouldn't replacing it fix my issue?

If you have a Slimline-3 dish and a non-swm install you will need a replacement (unless you don't need a replacement...two hours ago, you would, but we've been getting new updates about this all through the day so maybe you won't need one when you call in).

I reread and saw that you're getting a replacement receiver at no charge...that is SOP for this issue (with Slimline-3 non-SWM).
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

The fix I posted above applies to all those with a Slimline 5 or a Slimline 3 SWM dish. If you have a regular non-SWM slimline 3, it's a bit more complex. The CSRs have apparently now been given screen shots to help them and you through the process of using the receiver's built-in self test capabilities to solve the problem without needing to replace the receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

Good news, bad news.

The good news: DirecTV dealt with the problem and sent me a replacement DVR. I talked with them yesterday, had a new DVR at my door today. No charge for anything.

The bad news: The CSR said they would send an HR 24 but the replacement they actually sent me is the world's oldest HR 22-100, older than the one I had....

No big deal, it booted up fine and works fine and I intend to replace it this spring when the HR 44s become available.

Edited by FarNorth, 02 February 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

It's an authorization problem caused by a guide data download issue. Here's the temporary fix (courtesy of litzdog over on the DirecTV forum), DirecTV is working on clearing the problem permanently.

• Either call DirecTV support (1 800 DIRECTV), or be ready in your DirecTV.com account to resend authorizations (http://www.directv.com/resend)
  • Reset your Receiver/DVR (red button behind front panel access card door)
  • Watch the on-screen messages as the Receiver/DVR reboots
  • At the point that the messages "downloading guide data", resend the authorization (either with a phone rep or via http://www.directv.com/resend)
  • After the authorization is re-sent, reset the DVR again (red button)

The "trick" is to reboot, resend the authorization, then reboot again within 30-min. This forces the Guide Data to be rebuilt.

FYI, replacing the receiver won't help.

I was over on the D* forum on their website the other day and couldn't believe how many recommendations for using the RBR I saw. That goes against what some very knowledgeable members have told us about using that red button. I even saw one post recommending using the red button to get an external device running. While that "might" work (I'll never know for sure, I wouldn't even consider doing it), I'd think that the chip-sets in the external devices would suffer from doing that and would fail well before their times.

Rich

spam firewall