Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Americans on FX

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Both the wife and I loved the show. I was pumped to hear the booming version of Fleetwood Macs "Tusk". Added to the heart pounding scenes immensely.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   FYRPLG

FYRPLG

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Really liked the show. Good acting Good plot filled in the characters from the 60's and their reasons for being here. Did single record but after viewing setup SP.

#23 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

There was one song they played that really ticked me off.

Crocket and Tubbs get to own that scene for all time. For this new untested show to try to capitalize on that moment in tv history with "In the air tonight" was way too presumptuous.

I will keep watching, but I really got a bad feeling they are reaching at that moment.

#24 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Well I ended up working too late to try and watch this last night so maybe tonight is the big night. I'm glad to hear you all are liking it so far.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#25 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Loved it!! The acting was superb. The musical selection was really good.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   elinsner

elinsner

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm waiting to see if it's cancelled before I start watching it. I hate falling in love with shows only to see them cancelled after 1 season (or less!).

#27 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'm waiting to see if it's cancelled before I start watching it. I hate falling in love with shows only to see them cancelled after 1 season (or less!).

FX doesn't cancel shows mid-season so we'll at least get 1 season out of it. Based on critics and viewer reaction I'd say it will be around a while. I haven't seen actual numbers though. Based on buzz I bet next week's episode has higher numbers even.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Based on buzz I bet next week's episode has higher numbers even.

Ya. I know I told a couple of folks about it who weren't aware of it. They're re-airing the pilot Tuesday night, for those that missed it.
/steve

#29 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

FX doesn't cancel shows mid-season so we'll at least get 1 season out of it. Based on critics and viewer reaction I'd say it will be around a while. I haven't seen actual numbers though. Based on buzz I bet next week's episode has higher numbers even.

'The Americans' Premiere Draws 4.7 Million Total Viewers Wednesday Night

http://tvbythenumber...y-night/167495/

“We’re very happy with premiere ratings for The Americans and, just as importantly, we’re proud of the widespread critical acclaim the show has received,” said John Landgraf, President and General Manager, FX. “We have no doubt that when we get the Live+7 time-shifted ratings from last night, The Americans will rank among the best series debuts ever on FX. We’re grateful to Executive Producers Joe Weisberg, Joel Fields, Graham Yost, and to our outstanding cast led by Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich, as well as the entire team behind this great show.”

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#30 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Based on this thread I have added a timer and will record the re-air of the pilot. No idea when I'll get around to watching.

#31 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Looks like yet another FX keeper, FX is right up there with USA in production of shows I like. Loved the music selection and I have had a thing for Keri Russell since I was a kid. Also a huge fan of Tusk.

#32 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Both the wife and I loved the show. I was pumped to hear the booming version of Fleetwood Macs "Tusk". Added to the heart pounding scenes immensely.

Oh, is that what that was? I guess that did sound a little "fleetwoody" (I was a big fan in the Bob Welch era, but not really in the Lyndsey Buckingham era). At the time I just thought it was a real interesting choice for background music to such a dramatic scene, and hey, that first 12 minutes was pretty compelling anyway. It seemed like the production values and the music choices were outstanding for this show, and complemented the 1981 milieu without hitting us over the head with hair band music and obvious choices.

I really liked this, and I think we have a real winner here. I think FX will have another large jewel to place in the crown right next to Justified.

Matthew Rhys was so good on Brothers and Sisters (which collapsed under its own weight after 2 or 3 good seasons and became unwatchable) that I guess it is no surprise how good he is here. Very charismatic, very compelling. The producers should be ecstatic that they got someone of his quality. Keri Russell is good too, maybe not wonderful, but even if the plot bogs down she can still hold 90% of the male audience from changing the channel. Just arch your back a little or play with your hair, Keri; we're not going anywhere.

We'll have to see how this develops, but this might be in Homeland territory; it even has that kind of feel to it. < spoiler alert this paragraph only > I thought they handled the rape scene very well, and showed just enough to establish Elizabeth's motivation without being gratuitous. I also liked her change of heart when she realized that her fake husband would go the extra mile for her. Very believable for such a fantastically out-there story environment.

I think this might be the best new show since this fall. Elementary and Vegas are really the only two that stand out for me from that crop, but I think this might even be better, maybe a lot better. Here's hopin'.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#33 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Wanted to like it. Trashed it after the first segment up to the first commercial. Crushingly trite and dated action spy melodramatic nonsense, unattractive female lead, same old predictable kidnapping formula. Contentless garbage.

#34 OFFLINE   brian188

brian188

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Wanted to like it. Trashed it after the first segment up to the first commercial. Crushingly trite and dated action spy melodramatic nonsense, unattractive female lead, same old predictable kidnapping formula. Contentless garbage.

Yeah, but that is what TV is now. Like it or watch one of three "Walking Dead" versions. "Walking Dead" "Revolution" and "Falling Skies" all the same show at heart. But they are huge.

Very little is really original anymore.

#35 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

Yeah, but that is what TV is now. Like it or watch one of three "Walking Dead" versions. "Walking Dead" "Revolution" and "Falling Skies" all the same show at heart. But they are huge.

Very little is really original anymore.

There are still a few shows with actual stories and characters. Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Downton Abbey, House of Cards, whatever. But I couldn't agree more about Walking Dead--just re-hashed Romero and mostly, Romero did it better. And Revolution and Falling Skies, jeez what cheez! Same old formulaic tripe that was lame when The Invaders with Roy Thinnes did it in 1961!

#36 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

It's supposed to be dated, it takes place in the 80's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'm in. Quality kind of caught me by surprise. Murderous Commie main characters may put some watchers off though! I guess we can cheer for them to slowly come over to our side.

#38 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 351 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

I enjoyed it alot, cant wait for the next episode.

#39 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

It's supposed to be dated, it takes place in the 80's.

I was aware of that. Thus the stultifying "Tusk" theme that they just kept looping over and over awkwardly. Worst attempt at an action TV series score I've ever heard. Sounded like the music editor cut some rough "Tusk" loops in over the scenes as a temp score and they accidentally left it all in as it was. Yikes, brutal.

#40 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Wow, you made that judgement based on the first 10 minutes of the pilot.

I don't want to argue, but you think Kerri Russell of "Felicity" fame is unattractive???

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall