Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Americans on FX

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Yeah. A dog. No charisma, no sex appeal. Pushing 40. See, to me, any show that could open with such an incredibly trite and lame-o 70's-style action sequence with terrible music editing and present such a middle-aged skank as the woman who was clearly being set up as the "eye candy" had zero cred. DELETE CITY.

Now some folks actually like cop chase scenes right out of CHIPS or Miami Vice or Charlie's Angels (with 40 year olds!) or whatever. Be my guest. Enjoy!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Well, I will argue with you about Golden Globe winner Keri Russell. Yes, she will be an aging 37 in March and she does play the mother of a 15 year old daughter. You'd better stick to the Victoria Secrets shows, I guess. :nono:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#43 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

This isn't about dating, this is about eye candy in 2D when you have a choice from the most beautiful women in existence. I can look at average-looking late 30-somethings all day long in real life. This is supposed to be a fantasy world, and I expect fantasy-level eye candy matched with top-notch acting. The Americans comes up way short on all fronts.

#44 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thankfully, I have never evaluated a show based on the "looks" of the people in the cast, but I also don't masturbate while I watch TV shows as apparently many others do.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#45 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

That would require getting it up, so I understand the limitations of some others...

I guess films and TV producers never consider the looks of the actresses to be cast. It's just kind of randomness that produces the end result. That's why the Oscars look pretty much like the crowd at my local Safeway.

#46 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yeah. A dog. No charisma, no sex appeal...

But Keri said she thinks you are really attractive. :nono:

I'd give 20 bucks to see what you're squeezin'.:rolleyes:
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#47 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

So..."Baywatch" good show because of pretty girls, and "Americans" bad show because of not as pretty girls.

Got it.

#48 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thankfully, I have never evaluated a show based on the "looks" of the people in the cast, but I also don't masturbate while I watch TV shows as apparently many others do.

Where is your mind, Spart? No offense meant, but I think you may have connected dots that never were there.

And of course no role in Hollywood is ever cast with the potential appeal of the actor in mind. :rolleyes: This is why Gabourey Sidibe and Susan Boyle are having such great careers.

When do you, BTW?

Be sure not to fall off that high horse and hurt yourself.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#49 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Jeez, I apologize for my heterosexuality "fellows". We don't have our "Stonewall" for straight pride as you do.

But seriously, any given bunch of guys are going to disagree about who's hot and who's not. And I'm still watching Downton Abbey, and they just killed off the only hottie in the entire series, so I'm not ALL bad. 8^>

I'll be sure to give Barbra Streisand an extra hand when she performs at Oscars this year.

Edited by Maruuk, 02 February 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Where is your mind, Spart? No offense meant, but I think you may have connected dots that never were there.

No dots to connect Tom. Some watch TV just for eye candy, some watch for story lines and acting. If the cast is hot, fine, but that's not a reason to watch or not watch IMO.

and I expect fantasy-level eye candy

And nobody's horse is quite as high as yours TomCat, but we do appreciate your posts in this thread not being your normal novels that nobody reads.

#51 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

The classic straw dog syndrome. I led with terrible writing, bad directing, awful music, and finally zero eye candy. But the only attack point was the desire for an attractive female lead. Fair and balanced?

I appreciate and respect you folks who worship older actresses like Cher and Liza Minnelli and Bette Midler. Can't we all get along?

#52 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

I led with terrible writing, bad directing, awful music, and finally zero eye candy.

Exactly. eye candy shouldn't even enter the equation. You make it sound as if you could get by on terrible writing, bad acting and awful music as long as it had eye candy. I know this is a geek board and most get off on that stuff, based on years spent in Moms basement, but come on, you don't watch a show like The Americans expecting any "eye candy"

#53 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

The Americans is a spy show. If this was a film it'd star the young version of Angelia Jolie (she's too old now) and the hottest guys they could find. In other words, it'd be a major male/female babefest. But this being a cheapasz FX show the best they could do was Keri Whatzherface, not exactly major box office any more. Not my cup of tea but you older folks enjoy! I mean, if EYE CANDY didn't matter here, why didn't they cast Melissa McCarthy??

Gossip Girl got my attention with babes but it was really the fantastic character of Chuck Bass that held my attention. Downton is in trouble plotwise precisely because they have no sexual tension left to drive their Jane Austen-esque plot--they pulled the "Friends" jump-the-shark trick by marrying off or killing the 2 cute girls.

A TV show doesn't make it or break solely on the cute girl quotient for me, but it sure helps! Film is a totally different thing. I mean, who's hot in the Bicycle Thief or Cinema Paradiso? Though I admit to being a big fan of Ludivine Sagnier! I do kind of follow her films for her.

Now you take "Don't Trust the B..." Super hot lead, but also very creative and funny premises and writing! It's great when you have a win-win situation!

Edited by Maruuk, 02 February 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

"The Americans" is a show set in 1981 with flashbacks to the 1960's. The plot is not centered around T&A and as with ALL televison shows it has a flaw or two.

#55 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

The Americans is a spy show.

That's your first mistake. You might know better if you saw the whole first episode through to the ending - it was near the ending of the first episode that we saw the main overarching story arc laid out.

But don't take my word for it. Read about it from the FX show site (emphasis added):

The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington D.C. shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell), who have two children – 13-year-old Paige (Holly Taylor) and 10-year-old Henry (Keidrich Sellati), who know nothing about their parents’ true identity – grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Complicating their relationship further is Philip’s growing sense of affinity for America’s values and way of life. Tensions also heighten upon the arrival of a new neighbor, Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), an FBI agent. Stan and his partner, Agent Chris Amador (Maximiliano Hernández), are members of a new division of Counterintelligence tasked with fighting against foreign agents on U.S. soil, including KGB Directorate S illegals, Russian spies posing as Americans.

You derived assumptions about the show, maybe from its trailers which I guess you're expressing frustration about...

If this was a film it'd star the young version of Angelia Jolie (she's too old now) and the hottest guys they could find. In other words, it'd be a major male/female babefest. But this being a cheapasz FX show the best they could do was Keri Whatzherface, not exactly major box office any more. Not my cup of tea but you older folks enjoy....

The description of the show is not some wild fiction with gorgeous female and male model types running around in fantastic sports cars chasing and killing each other.

"The Americans" sounds a bit like this ABC story dated Jan. 15, 2013:

A married pair of alleged 'sleeper' spies went on trial in Germany Tuesday, accused of spying for Russia for more than two decades while living a quiet middle-class life and raising a daughter who had no idea of her parents' true identities.

... In a page out of a cold war novel, the Russian couple moved to West Germany in the late 1980s posing as Austrian nationals of Latin American descent. They are accused of transferring information on NATO, European and German security policies to the Soviet and then Russian intelligence service. As part of their alleged cover, Andreas, who claimed to be in his early 50s, worked as an engineer and Heidrun, in her late 40s, played tennis with local women. They collected an alleged 100,000 Euros in year in salary from the Russian government.

Their last alleged caper was the recruitment of a Dutch Foreign Ministry official, who reportedly sold them secret documents on NATO operations for $96,500, according to the German newspaper Die Welt.

Or much closer to home is the Anna Chapman sleeper spy ring arrested by the FBI in June 2010 and swapped a few days later for four Russian double agents. Read this NY Post story How many spies remain?. Or maybe the story Russian Sleeper Agent Allegedly Tried to Recruit Son Into Spy Business which tells us:

A Russian spy who was kicked out of the U.S. has now been accused of trying to recruit his son into the espionage business. And the son reportedly went along with the plan.

According to anonymous U.S. officials cited by the Wall Street Journal’s Devlin Barrett, the plot stemmed from a group of infamous Russian sleeper spies who were unmasked and deported back to Moscow two years ago. Before they were kicked out, they allegedly attempted to use their children as intelligence agents to bypass security clearances. Peter Krupp, the attorney who represented one of the accused spies, declined to answer the accusations on-the-record. But he told the Journal that his client said the U.S. officials are ”crap.” The attorney relayed that his client would never have taken the risk of revealing his secret identity.

The story focuses heavily on one alleged spy kid, Tim Foley. According to the Journal, his parents revealed to him sometime before their June 2010 arrest by the FBI that they were spies. Foley then agreed to join his parents in their pursuit of espionage. U.S. officials said Foley then “stood up and saluted ‘Mother Russia,’” and said he was willing to return to Russia for spy training, Barrett writes. This moment was reportedly captured by federal agents who had bugged their home.

Yeah, I'm old. When I was an undergraduate student I loved the Bond books - male romance novels. But by the time I graduated people were being killed in Vietnam as the Cold War continued to be hot.

If you want movies about spies see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Zero Dark Thirty not a Bourne or Bond movie. Or better yet, read all the John le Carré novels.

Sorry, but for what this story is about Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys were excellent choices. For what you want, watch reruns of "I Spy" with Robert Culp and Bill Cosby like us old folks did before we learned about life.

Edited by phrelin, 03 February 2013 - 12:56 AM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#56 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

"That's your first mistake."

Nope, that was yours. I had researched the premise thoroughly, that's the only reason I was watching it. But when you see a production so weak and sloppy with hackneyed writing and bad casting and so many substandard executions of basic production values in the first 15 minutes--ya gotta bail or be a masochist. It's just uninspired tripe from beginning to end.

I used to watch "I Spy" but only because there were basically no other choices back then. It was a pretty awful show even in its day! But you can't fault anybody back then for the lack of choice. Today, hell, watching crap is a mortal sin given all the possibilities.

Bottom line: some folks like the show, others don't. Same as it ever was.

Edited by Maruuk, 03 February 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

The classic straw dog syndrome. I led with terrible writing, bad directing, awful music, and finally zero eye candy. But the only attack point was the desire for an attractive female lead. Fair and balanced?

I appreciate and respect you folks who worship older actresses like Cher and Liza Minnelli and Bette Midler. Can't we all get along?

You've made your point, please let it go and not ruin the thread. Thanks.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

I may watch the show.

I'm never reading this thread again.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#59 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

I may watch the show.

I'm never reading this thread again.

We watched the show last night and really enjoyed it. Let's give those that hated the show a chance to complain and I'll close this thread and start a new one after the next episode for those that continue to watch.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#60 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Absolutely will keep watching. I was enthralled once the story started to play out. Loved the musical score. And Keri Russell? Fell for her in "August Rush", she still does it for me.

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live
Phillies - Flyers - Rays - Noles

Protected By... spam firewall...And...