Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Americans on FX

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Same here. My recording was good also.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

On a side note I just read on Yahoo the U.S. Marshals Service is selling the home of real life Russian deep cover operatives Vladimir and Lydia Guryev (aka Richard and Cynthia Murphy) in Mountclair, New Jersey. The couple have two children. They were arrested in 2010 after a decade long counterintelligence probe. The couple were part of a ring that meshed into American life while engaging in clandestine activities. Their primary mission was infiltrating U.S. policy circles to learn about U.S. Diplomacy and weapons information.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#123 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I recorded Justified for the first time that night, since I heard it might be in 1080p...

Just for the record, a broadcast/DBS/cable channel can't simply offer any program in a different format than what they broadcast in, and they also can't easily change that format. Technically they could, just not easily, but it would cause a major glitch every time they went to a program segment in one format from a commercial or program segment in a different format. That glitch would burp the encoder significantly, and would also probably burp everyone's decoder, so it would really be two major glitches. It might even abort DVR recordings, or at a minimum turn a single recording into a series of short recordings, which is what happens when you lose and regain signal. No channel could afford that technical issue; there is just no graceful way to change format on the fly.

And actually, every piece of video that was originally film or 24 fps, regardless of its current format, is broadcast in 24p by virtue of the "film mode" aspect of MPEG encoding. But if the current mode had 3:2 pulldown, that is recreated in the local decoder (along with interlacing if it also had that), so you will still experience it as 1080i30 or whatever the current format is.

AFAIK, only one service broadcasts in 1080p24, and that is The NFL Channel. And most vendors rescale that to 1080i30 so that they can insert local commercials. My best guess is that they wanted to preserve the feel of their huge NFL films library, but it sort of backfired since most folks can't get it in 1080p24 anyway.

No matter, there is really no significant advantage of 24p, and it is typically offset by its disadvantages. If you have a 120 Hz or higher TV you do not have those disadvantages, but you already have the advantages of 24p for every other video format sent you, other than removal of the interlace error in 1080i.

Back OT, I am a little disappointed in what a schmuck the lead character is; he seems to be moping around about Gregory and doesn't even know how he feels about his fake wife or even why. Enough already. Noah Emerich's next-door neighbor character is much more interesting.

The story line of her starting to feel something for him is OK, but honestly, where else could they have gone? Would a story about these two not having feelings for each other be very compelling? I think not.

On the positive side, I thought they took great advantage of the Reagan shooting and told a pretty good story around that. (Oh yeah; Reagan got shot...hope that wasn't a spoiler to some of you)

Still in, just not as hopeful as I was after the premiere.

Edited by TomCat, 16 April 2013 - 12:37 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#124 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 556 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Good season finale IMHO. I'm really glad this got renewed. It's nice having a different show type to watch.

#125 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Just watched a marathon over the past 2 days, very disappointed no major commie bastards were killed, I really don't know if I will watch a second season after this

Edited by oldschoolecw, 07 May 2013 - 06:50 PM.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#126 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,076 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Just watched a marathon over the past 2 days, very disappointed no major commie bastards were killed, I really don't know if I will watch a second season after this

What about the hotel scene?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#127 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Odd that someone can immerse themselves in the series but probably still doesn't understand that "good guy" and "bad guy" are nothing more than points of view, mere opinions. That was the entire underlying premise of the series. No one expected any viewer with a clear mnd to be taking sides. That is exactly NOT what this show was about.

There are no bad guys that believe that they are not good guys. Even those moron marathon bombers thought they were doing the right thing. Scary, but realistic. Any other thinking that reduces any of us to white hats or black hats is a pretty immature and a severely limited understanding of the way the world goes around.

Folks, please, at least try to rub two brain cells together. Next we'll be hearing that the government needs to "keep their stinking hands off my free welfare check." The nerve of them taxing gasoline just so that we can pay to build roads to drive on.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#128 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

We anxiously await the second season.

#129 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

+ 1

#130 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I didn't see anything to get exciting about. So far, I have found it rather boring and predictable. The only thing they missed in the first season was the teenage daughter finding things.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#131 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,458 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Odd that someone can immerse themselves in the series but probably still doesn't understand that "good guy" and "bad guy" are nothing more than points of view, mere opinions. That was the entire underlying premise of the series. No one expected any viewer with a clear mnd to be taking sides. That is exactly NOT what this show was about.

There are no bad guys that believe that they are not good guys. Even those moron marathon bombers thought they were doing the right thing. Scary, but realistic. Any other thinking that reduces any of us to white hats or black hats is a pretty immature and a severely limited understanding of the way the world goes around.

Folks, please, at least try to rub two brain cells together. Next we'll be hearing that the government needs to "keep their stinking hands off my free welfare check." The nerve of them taxing gasoline just so that we can pay to build roads to drive on.

Strongly disagree.  Doesn't matter whether they think they are good guys.  From our perspective, they are bad guys.  From American history's perspective, they are bad guys.  I want to see someone from the Russian side caught.  That's my payoff as the viewer.

I understand making villains multi-faceted and complex.  Look at Homeland!  But as an American citizen, not to mention an Army veteran, I want payoff in the form of Russian Communists being busted!

• oldschoolecw likes this

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#132 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

:nono2: ......Lieutenant Victor Ivanovich Belenko would strongly disagree with you!...... :nono2:

#133 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Same here

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#134 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Strongly disagree.  Doesn't matter whether they think they are good guys.  From our perspective, they are bad guys.  From American history's perspective, they are bad guys.  I want to see someone from the Russian side caught.  That's my payoff as the viewer.

I understand making villains multi-faceted and complex.  Look at Homeland!  But as an American citizen, not to mention an Army veteran, I want payoff in the form of Russian Communists being busted!

Totally agree and that's what the season was built upon, and the FBI is no closer to catching the couple.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#135 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Totally agree and that's what the season was built upon, and the FBI is no closer to catching the couple.

Hmmmm. The "bad guys." Well, I wish I could see it that straightforwardly.

Yes, while in the military or in national security one has to know who is the enemy. It must be very straightforward. And in this show Elizabeth Jennings, more than Phillip, has that sense of clarity that she shares with Stan Beeman.

But American political trends do not create a very good windows through which to view history. For a time, the British were "the bad guys." You have to remember that from an American history perspective the Indians were "the bad guys" for most generations, really until WWII when we were confronted with the concept of genocide as public policy followed by Apartheid becoming public policy in 1948.

The American First Red Scare of (1919–1921) came after the end of WWI. The Second Red Scare of (1947–1957) came after WWII. Then there was the Cuban Missile Crisis. Surrounding these periods were xenophobic disinformation campaigns. so for Stan the Soviets were the enemy.

But labeling anyone in this show "the bad guys" is much harder than recognizing the concept of people being enemies.

So I don't find clarity that would make me cheer if Elizabeth or Phillip gets killed, or make me outraged if Stan were to be killed. To me they are three characters struggling to make sense of their circumstances.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#136 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,458 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

Sorry, I still disagree.  The Russians have always been the "bad guys" and still are.  Russian mafia and car theft/chop shop rings are active every where.  The country of Russia still lies to us and backs China against us all the time.  They seem to back whatever and whoever we disagree with when it comes to global politcis.

Regardless, I want who I view as the "bad guy" to get caught.  I like how they show Elizabeth viewing us as the bad guy.  I get her dedication and devotion.  But the show is taking place in America, not Russia.  Thus, from our prism, she is the bad guy.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#137 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

In the sense of the traditional "good guys versus bad guys" old western or WWII war movie I intellectually agree with your view.

But the Dictionary.com definition of "bad" throws me off in this show's scenario:

bad.jpg

I'm not emotionally comfortable with defining these characters using that definition. That's why I prefer to use "enemy":

enemy.jpg

I know it's probably silly, but sometimes my gut makes these things complicated.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#138 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

"We will bury you", Nikita Khrushchev 18 November 1956. Red China, North Korea, the Warsaw Pact. All bi-products of Communist Russia. I still have Russian steel embedded in my hand and leg from when I was wounded in Vietnam. No doubt in my mind who the bad guys were then and still are today.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...