Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to watch OTA with no Satellite signal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Last week I turned on my TV to find the acquiring satellite signal screen. I thought it odd because there wasn't any bad weather, but I thought there may be some residual snow on the dishes from a couple days ago (unlikely being that they're on the roof, but I wasn't interested in investigating at the time).
I proceeded to watch recorded shows and not worry about it.

I later saw that it never corrected and there was nothing on the dishes and beautiful weather. I called support and they are sending someone out Saturday (They were willing to send someone out the following day, but I couldn't be home due to work).

I'll see what the technician says on Saturday. In the mean time I would love to watch my OTA channels and record my shows. The problem is that when the receiver boots up it goes straight to the acquiring satellite signal screen and I have not way of accessing the OTA channels. I can get to my DVR and all the menu screens, but can't access the guide and therefor OTA.
Is there some work around to get to the OTA. Really need this in case the tech can't do anything on Saturday (I doubt that will be the case, I'm sure he can do something even if temporary) because I have a house full of people coming over for the game on Sunday.

Thanks for any suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

When you can't get into the EPG you can't get to OTA, unfortunately.

IF you were on an OTA, then you wouldn't need EPG data to directly tune to another OTA... but you are kind of stuck I think.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

The HR series receivers do require a satellite signal for the AR21 OTA adapter to work. It will work for 12-24 hours but once it reboots you are out of luck. I would bypass the DirecTV equipment and hook your antenna directly to the TV until DirecTV can fix.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

mcss1985,

what DVR model you have ? Is it 922 with MT-2 cartridge ?

Phil T
strange to see DTV HRxx receivers here ...

Edited by P Smith, 01 February 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

mcss1985,

what DVR model you have ? Is it 922 with MT-2 cartridge ?

strange to see DTV HRxx receivers here ...

Yes, it's a 922 with and OTA module. Not sure what the MT-2 cartridge is.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

look at white label on the "OTA module"

#7 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

look at white label on the "OTA module"

Yep. It's an MT-2.

#8 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Last week I turned on my TV to find the acquiring satellite signal screen. I thought it odd because there wasn't any bad weather, but I thought there may be some residual snow on the dishes from a couple days ago (unlikely being that they're on the roof, but I wasn't interested in investigating at the time).
I proceeded to watch recorded shows and not worry about it.

I later saw that it never corrected and there was nothing on the dishes and beautiful weather. I called support and they are sending someone out Saturday (They were willing to send someone out the following day, but I couldn't be home due to work).

I'll see what the technician says on Saturday. In the mean time I would love to watch my OTA channels and record my shows. The problem is that when the receiver boots up it goes straight to the acquiring satellite signal screen and I have not way of accessing the OTA channels. I can get to my DVR and all the menu screens, but can't access the guide and therefor OTA.
Is there some work around to get to the OTA. Really need this in case the tech can't do anything on Saturday (I doubt that will be the case, I'm sure he can do something even if temporary) because I have a house full of people coming over for the game on Sunday.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The way around this is to split your OTA signal with a splitter.One OTA feed would go to your 922's MT2 Module,the other OTA feed to the HDTV's digital tuner.If it's a older HDTV it may not have a built in tuner so you would need a digital tuner stand alone box.Then at least you can watch OTA until your satellite signal becomes available.

Edited by Jhon69, 07 May 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

The way around this is to split your OTA signal with a splitter.One OTA feed would go to your 922's MT2 Module,the other OTA feed to the HDTV's digital tuner.If it's a older HDTV it may not have a built in tuner so you would need a digital tuner stand alone box.Then at least you can watch OTA until your satellite signal becomes available.

That is exactly what I do.  The coax from the roof antenna goes into a splitter.  One output goes to the OTA module.  The other goes to the coax Antenna input on the back of the TV.  Then you just select the input on the TV for the one you want to watch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...