Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How can customer service reps not have access to fedex.com

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vikingguy

vikingguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

In December I had a DVR hard drive go poof. I had another sent with the protection plan. I sent the old 1 back a day after getting the label. Today my bill comes and I am charged 200 dollars for non returned DVR. Thank god I wrote down tracking number and took pictures of the shipping label. I check fedex.com they shipped it December 18th. It shows I sent it out the 21st and they signed for it December 26th could not deliver on Xmas eve or day direct TV was closed. It was very frustrating hour to get that 200 dollar charge reversed. It should of taken 5 minutes for them to check the same info on fedex.com. They offered to start an investigation which would of taken 10 business days. I did not give up till I found a supervisor to credit my account. The supervisor could not view the tracking information but he believed me and did the credit thankfully. I am still very mad about this. I could not of gotten it back sooner but still was charged 200 dollars. Then I had to waste a hour of time because they don't have access to basic tools to resolve the issue quickly. How can they not have access to fedex.com they ship hundreds of packages a day.

A lesson to all when you send a DVR back keep copies of the tracking information just in case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

The FedEx website may be blocked by their company firewall as a security policy. Silly, yes, but they have their reasons I'm sure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

The FedEx website may be blocked by their company firewall as a security policy. Silly, yes, but they have their reasons I'm sure.

There ought to be somebody who has access and can confirm receipt of a returned receiver. Maybe not the front line CSR, but a supervisor or somebody. Bottom line is the OP is correct, it should be a 5 minute call to get your money back in this situation.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

There ought to be somebody who has access and can confirm receipt of a returned receiver. Maybe not the front line CSR, but a supervisor or somebody. Bottom line is the OP is correct, it should be a 5 minute call to get your money back in this situation.

I'm not disagreeing. I was simply offering up a reason as to why they wouldn't have access to do so.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

There ought to be somebody who has access and can confirm receipt of a returned receiver.

FedEx.com access? Nope. But what should happen is when a return is received, the customers's account is automatically updated with that data. Shouldn't require going to an outside company to verify receipt.

#6 ONLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

This is far too common and has happened to me as well..

#7 OFFLINE   vikingguy

vikingguy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

FedEx.com access? Nope. But what should happen is when a return is received, the customers's account is automatically updated with that data. Shouldn't require going to an outside company to verify receipt.

That is fine in theory till their system is not updated showing a DVR was returned. There should be someone who can verify with a second method it was returned. We have a company firewall and proxy but we don't block essential sites to our business. It is very easy to make an exception for websites in the firewall and proxy. I consider something like fedex.com and UPS.com essential sites to a business that ships 100's or even 1000's of items a day. It would be like our hospital blocking a site like micromedex that nurses and doctors use for drug information.

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

That is fine in theory till their system is not updated showing a DVR was returned. There should be someone who can verify with a second method it was returned. We have a company firewall and proxy but we don't block essential sites to our business. It is very easy to make an exception for websites in the firewall and proxy. I consider something like fedex.com and UPS.com essential sites to a business that ships 100's or even 1000's of items a day. It would be like our hospital blocking a site like micromedex that nurses and doctors use for drug information.

All the FedEx site is going to show is that a box was delivered. It doesn't show what was in the box. Do the CSRs even have Internet access?

I returned a defective HP network switch this week. The replacement came with a return label and we had five days to return the defective one or be charged. As soon as UPS scanned the bar code from the return label, HP knew we had processed it and stopped their five day clock (if it didn't show up or we returned the wrong switch, we would be charged). There is no reason DirecTV can't have something like this. Like HP, they are shipping lots of boxes and need to be able to track their equipment.

#9 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Happened to me too - in 2004. They wanted to charge me $1000 for a HR10-250. Thank goodness I had my FedEx receipt.

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

All the FedEx site is going to show is that a box was delivered. It doesn't show what was in the box. Do the CSRs even have Internet access?

I returned a defective HP network switch this week. The replacement came with a return label and we had five days to return the defective one or be charged. As soon as UPS scanned the bar code from the return label, HP knew we had processed it and stopped their five day clock (if it didn't show up or we returned the wrong switch, we would be charged). There is no reason DirecTV can't have something like this. Like HP, they are shipping lots of boxes and need to be able to track their equipment.

It is tracked. Automated system will cancel the RMA on whatever is being returned when it is scanned in at the warehouse. Remember it is an automated system so it can fail. I've never heard of this taking an hour but CSR roulette in full effect there.

#11 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

The fact that it fails as much as it does would indicate it isn't a very robust system. From what I've read here over the years (and have experienced), their inventory control is, IMHO, sub-par.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

The fact that it fails as much as it does would indicate it isn't a very robust system. From what I've read here over the years (and have experienced), their inventory control is, IMHO, sub-par.

We really have no idea how much it does fail though.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

We really have no idea how much it does fail though.

+1. This is a bigger deal that would probably get mentioned each time it happens. Randomly getting bill hundreds of dollars is a good reason to post on it, even if it only happens .1% of the time.

BTW, CRS's do have access to fedex.com, whether they realize it or not.

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Part of the issue is that even if the CSR sees that a package was delivered via FedEx that doesn't mean that DirecTV has the receiver. The investigation that entails is to verify that the required receiver in question was received by DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Like states above. Tracking would only show that the label made its way back to them. For all a CSR knows, that label could be an envelope with nothing in it. There is a reason for the process....

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

Doesn't it get shipped to the local warehouse then it gets scanned to show its been received? at least that's how it works the other way around

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#17 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

This is far too common and has happened to me as well..

Just happened to me. I sent in 3 HR21s after upgrading to HR24s. Bill came in and $200 was there. Bypassed CSR and went to Retention. Gave them the tracking numbers and they agreed that they had received them in Memphis. First guy said it was fixed, but I did not trust him. Got a Retention supervisor on line, who fixed it real time after I fussed big time about all the mess.

#18 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

As of right now, 12 posters on this thread. Five state they have had problems when returning boxes to DirecTV. Too small of a sampling to say definitively that 42% of all returns are not received properly, but just another indication that it is far from perfect.

#19 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

This forum is never an accurate sample. Never.
DTV = Digital Television

#20 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

This forum is never an accurate sample. Never.

No one is saying it's accurate. It is an indication that there are issues that need to be addressed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...