Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How can customer service reps not have access to fedex.com

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Doesn't it get shipped to the local warehouse then it gets scanned to show its been received? at least that's how it works the other way around

Amazon credits a return once the package is scanned by UPS. Surely DirecTV could have a similar system.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Doesn't it get shipped to the local warehouse then it gets scanned to show its been received? at least that's how it works the other way around

I think returns go to one location.

#23 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

That is fine in theory till their system is not updated showing a DVR was returned. There should be someone who can verify with a second method it was returned. We have a company firewall and proxy but we don't block essential sites to our business. It is very easy to make an exception for websites in the firewall and proxy. I consider something like fedex.com and UPS.com essential sites to a business that ships 100's or even 1000's of items a day. It would be like our hospital blocking a site like micromedex that nurses and doctors use for drug information.

All DirecTv csrs should have access to both sites. There can be a breakdown of communication and the return not noted. What I do is verify that the return occurred using fedex tracking to verify a return ship address checkpoint of, say, Memphis and I know it got to where it was supposed to be and then the account info is escalated for reversal. Anyone who can correct it on the call is not following normal DirecTV protocol.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#24 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Amazon credits a return once the package is scanned by UPS. Surely DirecTV could have a similar system.

That depends on the item being returned. They always do it with clothing/shoes (my wife sent back $400+ in shoes and we had the credit issued message within a couple hours after giving it to UPS) but if you send back electronics or other things they don't always do that.

#25 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

That depends on the item being returned. They always do it with clothing/shoes (my wife sent back $400+ in shoes and we had the credit issued message within a couple hours after giving it to UPS) but if you send back electronics or other things they don't always do that.

No, but the point it is Amazon knows the minute that return label is scanned into the system that an item has been tendered. DirecTV should have that built into their system as well so a customer's account is noted once a label has been scanned.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#26 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Charging a sub $200 should only be done after D* is certain the dvr was never returned.

No reason D* can't wait until the sub has a chance to respond before charging them $200.

Since they are returning a dvr there is 99% chance they are under a new 2 yr agreement with the replacement dvr.

We are talking about a damaged or dead dvr being returned,why would any sub not want to send it back and take a chance on a $200 charge ?

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Charging a sub $200 should only be done after D* is certain the dvr was never returned.

No reason D* can't wait until the sub has a chance to respond before charging them $200.

Since they are returning a dvr there is 99% chance they are under a new 2 yr agreement with the replacement dvr.

We are talking about a damaged or dead dvr being returned,why would any sub not want to send it back and take a chance on a $200 charge ?

It is only done after a reasonable amount of time has passed. The customer has a responsibility to make sure it is returned. If it hasn't been, they can simply contact DirecTV and provide them with proof that it was shipped before a non-return charge is ever applied. I have no problem with people suggesting the process needs to be improved, but I have an issue with consumers who take no responsibility.
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

No, but the point it is Amazon knows the minute that return label is scanned into the system that an item has been tendered. DirecTV should have that built into their system as well so a customer's account is noted once a label has been scanned.

If only we could just get DirecTV to decide on who handles returns that would be a good start. Seems like every time I go to return a unit it goes through a different carrier. This last one the empty box was delivered by USPS and goes back via USPS. The one before that was delivered by FedEx and went back via USPS. I've also had some that were delivered by and went back via both FedEx and UPS.

They have to nail that down first, then they can move on to developing a system that can look for returns.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

It is only done after a reasonable amount of time has passed. The customer has a responsibility to make sure it is returned. If it hasn't been, they can simply contact DirecTV and provide them with proof that it was shipped before a non-return charge is ever applied. I have no problem with people suggesting the process needs to be improved, but I have an issue with consumers who take no responsibility.

So let's see if I have your logic correct. The customer returns the unit and sees online that it was accepted by Directv. A month later, Directv charges them for a non returned unit. You think that's the customer's fault. Makes sense to me.....

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

So let's see if I have your logic correct. The customer returns the unit and sees online that it was accepted by Directv. A month later, Directv charges them for a non returned unit. You think that's the customer's fault. Makes sense to me.....

That is not what I said.
DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

There isn't a single person in this thread who posted an opinion that consumers have no responsibility. The customer has a responsibility to use the methods and processes mandated by Directv and nothing more. That is what the thread is about.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#32 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

That is not what I said.

It might as well be. You think Directv doesn't have any responsibility if a returned unit isn't properly credited as such. You think the customer should have to follow up on something that isn't their responsibility.

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

It might as well be. You think Directv doesn't have any responsibility if a returned unit isn't properly credited as such. You think the customer should have to follow up on something that isn't their responsibility.

It is their responsibility.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

The customer has a responsibility to make sure it is returned. If it hasn't been, they can simply contact DirecTV and provide them with proof that it was shipped before a non-return charge is ever applied. I have no problem with people suggesting the process needs to be improved, but I have an issue with consumers who take no responsibility.

Got to disagree!

If I get the shipping kit from DirecTV and pack the receiver properly and drop it at a FedEx location, then I as a customer have met my responsibility.

Why should a customer have to provide proof it was returned? DirecTV sends out the shipping boxes with airbill. Do they not note the tracking # on the customer's account? If not, then that is a MAJOR flaw in their process. DirecTV should be able to/have to check from their end if a shipment was tendered before a charge is applied.

My Setup

#35 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

All the FedEx site is going to show is that a box was delivered. It doesn't show what was in the box. Do the CSRs even have Internet access?

It also shows where it was delivered. I would think that the return label has a specified address where returns are shipped to.

I had a similar experience with an Amazon supplier. The label said "Returns". I had not received credit for the return. I checked the tracking number and it had been delivered. I emailed the company with the info, and they emailed me back that they had received the item, and that I would receive credit.

I got the credit without any hassels. Probably what helped is that this was a vender through the Amazon dot com website. I'm sure that Amazon gives them a lot of business, and it was Amazon's reputation on the line. They get copies of emails sent to the vendors.

Edited by n3vino, 03 February 2013 - 05:23 PM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#36 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

It is their responsibility.

This is from the customer agreement regarding the return of equipment:

EQUIPMENT RETURN, NON-RETURN FEES. If you cease to be our customer (whether voluntarily or involuntarily), you must contact DIRECTV within 7 days of termination of your base level of programming to arrange for an equipment return kit or kits, and instructions on how to return your leased equipment (Receivers with, access cards, Clients and remotes). Leased equipment must be returned in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. If we haven't received your leased equipment within 21 days of termination of your base level of programming, or if the equipment is returned in damaged condition, we will charge you $45 for each standard Receiver, $135 for each DVR, $100 for each HD Receiver, $200 for each HD DVR, $250 for each Advanced Whole-Home DVR (aka "Genie HD DVR") and $100 for each Client, so please promptly attend to your equipment return.

Nowhere does it say the customer must follow up after returning the equipment. Your blind following of the company line is stupid.

#37 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Got to disagree!

If I get the shipping kit from DirecTV and pack the receiver properly and drop it at a FedEx location, then I as a customer have met my responsibility.

Why should a customer have to provide proof it was returned? DirecTV sends out the shipping boxes with airbill. Do they not note the tracking # on the customer's account? If not, then that is a MAJOR flaw in their process. DirecTV should be able to/have to check from their end if a shipment was tendered before a charge is applied.

CSRs do have the return tracking number in their ordering system. It is not front and center but it can be found. The tracking number also links them directly to fedex.com and they can see the return has been completed. From there it takes a simple escalation to have the automated system reverse the NRF charges. The key is getting a CSR who knows what they are doing.

Edited by Darth Malgus, 04 February 2013 - 02:24 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

This is from the customer agreement regarding the return of equipment:

EQUIPMENT RETURN, NON-RETURN FEES. If you cease to be our customer (whether voluntarily or involuntarily), you must contact DIRECTV within 7 days of termination of your base level of programming to arrange for an equipment return kit or kits, and instructions on how to return your leased equipment (Receivers with, access cards, Clients and remotes). Leased equipment must be returned in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. If we haven't received your leased equipment within 21 days of termination of your base level of programming, or if the equipment is returned in damaged condition, we will charge you $45 for each standard Receiver, $135 for each DVR, $100 for each HD Receiver, $200 for each HD DVR, $250 for each Advanced Whole-Home DVR (aka "Genie HD DVR") and $100 for each Client, so please promptly attend to your equipment return.

Nowhere does it say the customer must follow up after returning the equipment. Your blind following of the company line is stupid.

If I received a bill that was up to $250 higher than what I expected to pay that month, it would be my responsibility to follow up. And I most certainly would. Or you could not, and just blindly pay your bill if you like. But that would be on you for shirking your personal financial responsibilities and not following up. As an adult, you do have that choice. If the mistake is due to a failure of an automated system, no one at any company will be actively filing through millions of accounts for easily fixable errors such as these. In DirecTV's case, they already have a vehicle in place to correct such errors. As you can read above, call in > get a competent CSR > CSR confirms the error > CSR escalates the needed information > NRF is reversed in a few days. Problem solved.

I would also like to give an example of why the "Why should I have to?" argument is silly.

Someone buys a home cash without an inspection prior to purchase and later discovers there was a leak that the seller was truly unaware of. Now there is mold and the property needs expensive mold remediation before it is deemed safe to live in again. When buying a home cash there is no lender to require an inspection, and the title company and real estate agent (will recommend) but do not require them either. The buyer is now upset and will likely try to sue the seller. When it is pointed out that the buyer had the option to have an inspection prior to closing, out comes "Why should I have to pay for an inspection before buying a home!"

Edited by Darth Malgus, 04 February 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

I had an HR23 go bad just before Christmas. Ordered an HR24 from Solid Signal. Activated it, and then deactivated the HR23, and asked for a box to be sent to me for the bad HR23.
I got the box a few days later and noticed the return label was for the working H24 in the bedroom instead of the HR23. I scratched out H24 and wrote in HR23 ( I think I added the serial number also) and sent it back. I called Directv and told them what had happened and hoped they had it straightened out.
A few days later I get a box for the bad HR23.
I'm checking my account everyday to see if I've being charged for the HR23.

#40 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Darth is correct CSR's have access to both fedex.com and usps.com and track packages to and from your home...its a very simple process
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall