Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tmanbt

tmanbt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

I was offered free upgrade to Genie and mini clients. Currently have h22, HR 22-100 and HR21-700 ? Can I keep the DVRs and use Genie in main viewing area with 1 mini client in another room that has an old SD box ? Thanks !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

Yes, though if you have SWM already, you'll need a new SWM system. If the TV is SD, you would need a dongle for the C31 to get the right plug.

#3 OFFLINE   tmanbt

tmanbt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I don't have SWM yet. TV is HD with an old Hughes SD box on it....

#4 OFFLINE   tmanbt

tmanbt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I also have 4 lines running from dish to multiswitch.

#5 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

You will definitely need a new slimline dish with SWM. I just had this installed two weeks ago. The new dish is a lot lighter than the old one and I'm actually pleased because I thought the weight was too much to be installed on the side of the house before - and the installer added a brace to bring it up to standard, which is a LOT more secure than it was!
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#6 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,054 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

If you keep two HR2x DVRs and add an HR34 Genie you will end up with 9 tuners. For that you will keep the same dish and LNB that you have but will need an SWM16 multiswitch. That should be included as part of the installation.

If you drop one of the DVRs, then the LNB in your dish would be replaced with an SWM LNB, which can support up to 8 tuners (HR34 + HR2x = 7 tuners). The Genie clients do not count as tuners.

The recurring monthly cost will be the same whether you use a client or your existing DVR, so if it were me I would keep the two DVRs, add the Genie in place of the H22, and put a client at the other location to replace the SD box.

#7 OFFLINE   tmanbt

tmanbt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

will I still have whole home dvr if I keep the dvr's and add the Genie and client(s) ?

#8 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

will I still have whole home dvr if I keep the dvr's and add the Genie and client(s) ?

Yes,You will
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#9 OFFLINE   tmanbt

tmanbt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thank You guys for all of your help ! Wife's bugging me to switch to comcast. Don't want to.

#10 OFFLINE   tmanbt

tmanbt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

One more question. Will I be forced to give up my DVR's for the mini clients ? That would be a deal breaker

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

If you want to keep your two DVRs, you can. Just change the order to one client to replace the H22. See Carl's post #6 above.

#12 OFFLINE   c073186

c073186

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

The recurring monthly cost will be the same whether you use a client or your existing DVR, so if it were me I would keep the two DVRs, add the Genie in place of the H22, and put a client at the other location to replace the SD box.

I thought that the Genie clients did not count as a receiver and therefore have no monthly fee. Is that wrong?

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I thought that the Genie clients did not count as a receiver and therefore have no monthly fee. Is that wrong?

Yes, you are incorrect. Genie clients, be C31's or a Samsung TV with the RVU client all rack up the $6/month additional receiver fee.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wife's bugging me to switch to comcast.

Why? They suck and are more expensive than DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...