Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network vs Time Warner? ...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   speedmaster

speedmaster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

We've been Dish Network customers for about 14 years and have generally been pretty happy (I think we have the 200 channel package). My only gripes are losing the MSG and SNY sports networks. We have the 922 DVR with built in Sling and absolutely love it. Great DVR.

But we're open to the idea of switching back to Time Warner if the channels we want are there and the price is right. Since we already use Time Warner for RoadRunner we though maybe we could save some money if we bundled services?

I've tried calling Time Warner a couple times to find out how good their DVRs are, and how they compare to the Dish 922, but I never really get a straight answer.

Unless the TW DVR is now as good as Dish's I probably don't want to switch, and might even move up to the Hopper DVR.

Anyone here have experience with both? Or words of wisdom?

For what it's worth, we currently have two HDTVs and might add a third this year.

Thanks VERY much in advance,
Chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'm with Dish too, but I do go to my mom's house in the Kansas City area and she has TW.

I find their equipment to be horrible but thought it was just because I wasn't used to the clunky way they do things. But my bro-in-law cusses that box everytime he uses it and I can see why. Slow is a key word to think when using it. Even slower than Direct's slowest!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Do not go to Time Warner, LParsons is right, they are horrid. At least their normal DVR only stores about 20 total hours of HD content. The UI is horrible, OS is terrible. You would regret it.

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I think in your case, I would look at DirecTV. Since you mentioned the sports you are missing out on, especially in the New York area, DirecTV and you might be the best you can come up with.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think in your case, I would look at DirecTV. Since you mentioned the sports you are missing out on, especially in the New York area, DirecTV and you might be the best you can come up with.

Agree with this. I had DirectTV for about 15 years and was happy with them; like Dish, they had some things I did not like and a lot I did. (I only switched to Dish because when I moved to where I live now DirectTV did not carry the locals in HD and Dish did.) I lived in KC and TW's equipment was really, really clutzy.

#6 OFFLINE   speedmaster

speedmaster

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Great discussion, I really appreciate all of the great responses everyone, thanks!

#7 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

If you go with Time Warner cable I would get a 4 tuner Tivo. It would be money up front but you'd save in the long run.

You really should look at both TW and Directv and compare the two, then decide what's best for you.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

If you go with Time Warner cable I would get a 4 tuner Tivo.

Even if it's two tuner, the suggestion for TiVo is a must if you're doing cable. I can state that from personal experience.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Having switched from DirecTV to Dish in large part because the DirecTV DVR was so slow, you'd be wise to do some reading on the DirecTV threads, particularly the one on whether DirecTV will ever make a responsive DVR.

At least with cable, you have the option of bringing your own box (though you do give up PPV on most carriers.)

spam firewall