Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EHD Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Is an EHD that has been paired with a Hopper still usable at all by other devices? I was considering using a portion of a 2TB drive connected to a Hopper for backing up some files from my PC on occasion.

#1..Will the PC recognize the drive as formatted/usable after it was paired with the Hopper?

#2..Will adding any files/folders to the drive from a PC cause problems with the Hopper?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

:nono2: The formatting is different between Hopper use and PC use, so you can't use an EHD for both at the same time. When I needed to switch an EHD from DVR storage back to PC use, the PC had difficulty even seeing the drive, and when I found it, the PC reformats before it can be used.

You can move a DVR storage EHD to another Hopper on the same account (or in my case between a 622 and 722), but that's it.

Sorry.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

slight chance, only if you will use Linux with XFS support on your PC
should work if you'll be careful and will not touch the DVR's folders/files

#4 OFFLINE   Stvbrtls

Stvbrtls

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I currently have an EHD connected to my Dish 722VIP receiver. I am getting the Hopper next week. Will I be able to use the EHD from the 722VIP to watch the the movies that I currently have on the EHD? All help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

yes

check the forum's sticky threads - you'll find a lot useful info for you ;)

#6 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yes

#7 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

The EHD you use on your 722 receiver is compatible with the Hopper. You should transfer all your DVR content on the 722 to the EHD while the 722 receiver is still active on your account. Any transferred content while the receiver is deactivated will not work on the Hopper. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I currently have an EHD connected to my Dish 722VIP receiver. I am getting the Hopper next week. Will I be able to use the EHD from the 722VIP to watch the the movies that I currently have on the EHD? All help would be greatly appreciated.

#8 OFFLINE   Stvbrtls

Stvbrtls

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the information.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...