Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Offline 722k as an EHD server?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

So I have a 722k that can't be used as a receiver, but can it work offline to just play EHD recordings?
Or can I transfer EHD recordings to it and play them w/o any inputs?
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

If the DVR isn't active, it won't see the EHD.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Last time I hooked it up, there were some recordings that could still be played IIRC...
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Dish America Pkg

#4 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I don't believe it'll work. When I went on "Dish Pause" recently, all recordings on my external HDD (most of my movies) became unavailable. Much to my anger. Since recordings on the DVR's internal HDD were totally accessible.

Dish has opted to incorporate no ability to access an external HDD without an active account, for no sensible/fair reason.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Dish has opted to incorporate no ability to access an external HDD without an active account, for no sensible/fair reason.

What part of this do you see as unfair? Should they allow you to view recordings you've stacked up in anticipation of pausing your service?

It seems like they're being somewhat generous by not asking for the equipment back and forcing you to create a new account the next time around.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

I don't believe it'll work. When I went on "Dish Pause" recently, all recordings on my external HDD (most of my movies) became unavailable. Much to my anger. Since recordings on the DVR's internal HDD were totally accessible.

...you don't own the contents of either drive.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Do you have more than one receiver on the account? If so, then only one receiver stays "active" during a pause, and the receiver has to be active for the EHD function to work as that function is tied to the account, whereas the recordings on the internal drive are not.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

So any active dvr can be backfilled with EHD content and be used offsite to enjoy recordings, say, while on vacation in the middle of nowhere?
Dish America Pkg

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

So any active dvr can be backfilled with EHD content and be used offsite to enjoy recordings, say, while on vacation in the middle of nowhere?

It should - you do support your account and have same rights as before the move.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

...you don't own the contents of either drive.

Now make next logical step and tell us : you can't record events to VCR or standalone DVD recorder for own use ...

#11 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

What part of this do you see as unfair? Should they allow you to view recordings you've stacked up in anticipation of pausing your service?

The "unfairness" comes from the arbitrary distinction between what's on one HDD (internal) versus the other (external). As a matter of fact, they DO let you view recordings while on "pause"... as long as they don't happen to be currently residing on the external HDD. Doesn't matter on the nature of the recording or what channel it was recorded from: all that matters is the random distinction of whether you happened to be storing them at that moment on the internal DVR HDD or the external HDD.

Whatever their "logic" is, it's not being applied evenly. If recordings are allowed, or not allowed, it shouldn't MATTER what HDD, subfolder, or anything else they're in.

#12 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

The issue is with how the EHD tag is applied. It requires an active-programming account, with some core package, the HDDVR is required to be listed as active on the account and connected to the satellite signal. Pause doesn't give the core package criteria.

Sorry, it sucks, but that's a choice made by guys in nice suits in nice offices. Hoosier, out of curiosity, what's the criteria for DirecTV's EHD functionality?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

... what's the criteria for DirecTV's EHD functionality?

There is no EHD per se. It's a replacement of internal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...