Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Goofy New DirecTV Web Page

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I happened to visit the "new" DirecTV web page today. What a mess!

They changed a bunch of legacy packages (PLUS DVR) to their current and grandfathered offerings so now I have Choice Extra Classic with a separate DVR fee of $8. That's fine. But when I went to the "packages" page I noticed that a bunch of channels for Choice Extra Classic are missing but present on Choice Extra! I assume there are other mistakes also which is sad since a lot of people visit the web site and use the "package comparison" to make decisions. I clicked on "print current channels" and while examining the printout discovered loads of errors-mostly channels I really do get that were missing.

Meanwhile, when looking at recent transactions (which is now buried and hard to find) I noticed a pro-rated credit of 10 cents for the regional sports fee. Does this mean that irritating fee has been discontinued or is this just another error? Are sports channels being removed from Choice Extra Classic?

Under services which can be added they list HD at $10 a month. I was afraid to click it since I have no intention of starting a new 2 year commitment but since I have an R22-200 I wonder if it would just activate HD on my account? Of course, I'd have to purchase and install a slimline dish but I might consider it if it was that easy. (Wishful thinking me!)

I can't wait for the gouge, er, I mean PRICE INCREASE to go into effect in a week to see how much more messed up the web page becomes!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I just went to the new website this morning...looked at package comparisons...then changed from Choice Extra Classic to Choice Extra in advance of the small price increase coming up.

I even printed out the new channel guide in a PDF format so I can print/reprint as needed.

The whole process (including the confirmation e-mail I got) took < 6 minutes.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'd seen issues with the comparisons even back when I was actually on Total Choice Plus, it told me I didn't get Audience, etc.

I ended up just dropping Classic and going with Xtra. I don't watch any of the channels Classic has, and save myself the buck.

#4 OFFLINE   kzzz

kzzz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I just went to the new website this morning...looked at package comparisons...then changed from Choice Extra Classic to Choice Extra in advance of the small price increase coming up

What did you see in the new package that would make it worth while to switch? It looks to me like I would lose a few channels by switching.

#5 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

What did you see in the new package that would make it worth while to switch? It looks to me like I would lose a few channels by switching.

Lost some Sonic music channels (never listen to them anyway) but still have some left in the other package...and then 4 channels swapped out - didn't watch the other 4 in the Classic package. So net...got the same number of TV channels, including 4 I may watch in exchange for 4 I don't watch.

Then add in that as of the rate increase...save a whopping $2/month. WOO HOO...what a gold mine find that was... :D

#6 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I happened to visit the "new" DirecTV web page today. What a mess!

They changed a bunch of legacy packages (PLUS DVR) to their current and grandfathered offerings so now I have Choice Extra Classic with a separate DVR fee of $8. That's fine. But when I went to the "packages" page I noticed that a bunch of channels for Choice Extra Classic are missing but present on Choice Extra! I assume there are other mistakes also which is sad since a lot of people visit the web site and use the "package comparison" to make decisions. I clicked on "print current channels" and while examining the printout discovered loads of errors-mostly channels I really do get that were missing.

its wrong. Take the current Choice Xtra package and add Boomerang, Chiller, NHL Net, Sprout, Tennis, Style. Thats Xtra Classic

Under services which can be added they list HD at $10 a month. I was afraid to click it since I have no intention of starting a new 2 year commitment but since I have an R22-200 I wonder if it would just activate HD on my account? Of course, I'd have to purchase and install a slimline dish but I might consider it if it was that easy. (Wishful thinking me!)

no. If you only have a R22 only you NEED a "legit" HD receiver or DVR (H2X or HR2X). Before I got a HR34 I had 2 R22's. When I wanted to upgrade to HD they had to install a H23 so they could turn on the HD.
Directv sees it as a SD only receiver that magically can get HD

#7 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I wish they had a text-only site. My 20Mbps internet connection chokes on their crazy design with its over-reliance on graphics.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's NOT worth it to switch. Clever DirecTV knows this and decided to poke old customers an extra buck a month for "Choice Extra Classic". Anyway, it's worth the buck just to get Boomerang. What would I do without my Hanna-Barbera cartoon fix??? :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

I happened to visit the "new" DirecTV web page today. What a mess!...

Totally agree...:nono2:

#10 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Scary...using 802.11g WIFI at a hotel on a tablet...just used the sight with nominal issues.

Looks like some folks equate anything different as a problem.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Scary...using 802.11g WIFI at a hotel on a tablet...just used the sight with nominal issues.

Looks like some folks equate anything different as a problem.

No, I'm not complaining about the fact that it's "different". I am complaining about the fact that it's got a lot of things that are "hard to find" which generally web page upgrades try to eliminate. It also is filled with ERRORS like the package comparison that tells me a bunch of channels I don't get in my current package that I DO GET.

Just try to find the "recent transactions" page if you don't believe me.... It used to be a very clear tab in the "my account" screen but now it's buried.

#12 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

No, I'm not complaining about the fact that it's "different". I am complaining about the fact that it's got a lot of things that are "hard to find" which generally web page upgrades try to eliminate. It also is filled with ERRORS like the package comparison that tells me a bunch of channels I don't get in my current package that I DO GET.

Just try to find the "recent transactions" page if you don't believe me.... It used to be a very clear tab in the "my account" screen but now it's buried.

Found the first time on the new page....using the scroll bar.

Based on the newer labels and "My Account" menu at the top...it actually seems easier in a number of ways, not to mention 1-2 clicks away.

But everyone's entitled to their own view.

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Found the first time on the new page....using the scroll bar.

Based on the newer labels and "My Account" menu at the top...it actually seems easier in a number of ways, not to mention 1-2 clicks away.

But everyone's entitled to their own view.

Uh-huh. And how come I don't get "Beautiful Instrumentals" (channel 820) with my Choice Extra Classic package according to the fancy new package comparison even though EVERY OTHER PACKAGE gets this channel? In reality I do get this channel as well as many other channels it says I don't.

#14 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Uh-huh. And how come I don't get "Beautiful Instrumentals" (channel 820) with my Choice Extra Classic package according to the fancy new package comparison even though EVERY OTHER PACKAGE gets this channel? In reality I do get this channel as well as many other channels it says I don't.

Uh huh.

OK....so have you communicated this in an e-mail to them to let them know?

I suspect no one here can change that if it's wrong.

#15 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

The channel listing for Xtra Classic is screwed up...royally

Print out the "new" Xtra and add the following channels
NHL Net
Sprout
Style
Tennis
Boomerang
Chiller

thats Xtra Classic

Protected By... spam firewall...And...