Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV Theme Nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Current shows with opening theme songs, with and without lyrics.

The Big Bang Theory
Guys With Kids
Suburgatory
Bones
Hawaii 5-0
Happy Endings
Mike & Molly (Short but still exists)
2.5 men (most times)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Archer
Elementary (short but still exists)
Person of Interest
30 Rock (ended now though)
Raising Hope
How I Met Your Mother (sometimes shorter than others)
2 Broke Girls
Modern Family
Shameless
Californication
Dexter
Psych
...and I'm sure many others I've missed.

It's not a dead "art form" by any means. It would probably be easier to count modern shows without theme music these days.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

The mention of Mike Post made me think of L.A. Law......which for some reason reminded me of Quantum Leap.....

Edited by elaclair, 02 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.
forgot a period....don't ask.

#23 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

The little bar in Boston where everybody knows your name. Cheers

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

The little bar in Boston where everybody knows your name. Cheers

Interesting article How Gary Portnoy Made 'Cheers' the Place 'Where Everybody Knows Your Name'.

WPx1lPoYtSU

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

...the really neat one is for Blue Bloods - "Reagan's Theme" by Rob Simonsen who says: He's right, it does feel that way.

Of course with this we have sidelined out of the realm of nostalgia into present day, but I think this is one of the best themes I've heard in a great while. Speaking as someone who was once a composer and professional musician (and wanted to but was never good enough to score for TV and movies) I think what really sets is off is a single counter-syncopated (lands on "2" rather than "3") snare hit somewhere in the middle that makes you understand that the time signature is more complex that you thought when the theme first starts; it kind of lends a sort of a "shuffle" feel to it. It's brilliant (Keith Moon did much the same thing on "I'm Free" from The Who's Tommy theme album, and it is that single brilliant drum stroke that gives it the right energy and makes that song as good as it is). On BB there is also a trumpet playing a single note a third above the main key at the very end that adds enough complexity and interest to keep the theme from being predictable or too simple. If those two elements were not there I think the theme would be good, but not as terrific. Sets the mood for the show as well. Really neat indeed.

And I too, am a big fan of the rap/bluegrass theme for Justified. Perfect.

I know everyone is tired of hearing me rave about Golden Boy but that one has a pretty terrific theme as well. Based on a single slow minor two-chord progression on acoustic piano with some frenetic unidentifiable string plucking lightly over the top; ABA ABA ABA ABA, and out. Really nice; also sets the mood.

I normally FFWD past show intros, but I always have to hear those three.

OK, back to nostalgia. Now here's two I really hated:

X-Files: too predictable and on the nose. Great show; less than mediocre theme
The Sopranos: everyone said it set the stage for the show and got them excited. Maybe if you're from Jersey it resonates, but it never did for me.

Speaking of hated, the wimpy production music on Yes Dear was enough for me to stop watching it. And here's who is really phoning it in; whoever does that lone keyboard over the single dramatic climactic scene near the end of every Law & Order. He's making that up on the spot, or at least it sure sounds like it. I'm a terrible keyboardist, and I can do that in my sleep.

Its not TV, but Rob Zombie's theme for The Howard Stern Show is pretty brilliant.

Edited by TomCat, 05 April 2013 - 05:08 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#26 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

...Dexter...

It's not a dead "art form" by any means. It would probably be easier to count modern shows without theme music these days.

It is most definitely an art form, and a living breathing one.

What has changed is the level of competition; with 250 other shows airing in the same time slot and ubiquitous IR remotes, a show had better not exceed your attention span, or it will suffer an early fate. The BB Theory is kind of a throwback, and they take the risk of us surfing the dial for a better option for the 20 seconds or so that we know we will not miss anything. No one else has the balls to risk that.

Well, maybe Dexter, but we've already paid for that. If you don't wait for the "ding" (and what's up with that?) when he locks his door and walks out of his apartment, then you are not psychologically primed to really enjoy the show. I can't explain it, I just know I have to hear that "ding".

I think it is familiarity. Familiarity means comfort; we are soothed by getting what we expect, by routine. I think CBS and others take advantage of this with closing themes (usually a 4-bar electric guitar sting over the production company logo). When we hear that it is comforting, and we know we are just seconds away from next week's preview, which is a promo or two away from the next show.

But even that is disappearing. On Alias you could hear J.J. Abrams' two little kids yelling "Bad Robot!", and by the time Fringe was out, he had a third child and re-recorded it with all three. But I have noticed the "Bad Robot" logo sans sound lately, probably on Person of Interest.

Edited by TomCat, 05 April 2013 - 05:30 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#27 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Mission: Impossible.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)