Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1600 Penn

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

It looks like this has been mercifully yanked. Or at least benched for sweeps, which is not good news for anything beyond eps in the can.

The problem here is that Josh Gad has people who tell him that he is funny. They are wrong and he is not; I can't remember a more embarrasing douche-chills moment in recent television history than JG trying to be funny in the pilot. He just isn't, not even a little bit, but no one will tell him.

But I always love it when Jenna Elfman gets another show, so I am sad to see her go. She is an 11 among Hollywood 10's; really fires me up.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

It looks like this has been mercifully yanked. Or at least benched for sweeps, which is not good news for anything beyond eps in the can.

The problem here is that Josh Gad has people who tell him that he is funny. They are wrong and he is not; I can't remember a more embarrasing douche-chills moment in recent television history than JG trying to be funny in the pilot. He just isn't, not even a little bit, but no one will tell him.

But I always love it when Jenna Elfman gets another show, so I am sad to see her go. She is an 11 among Hollywood 10's; really fires me up.

...link?
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Not pulled at all. It didn't air last night because 30 Rock was turned into a 60 minute episode. The episode that was scheduled for 1/31, "Frosting/Nixon", is now scheduled for 2/7.

I think the show is funny and so is Josh Gad.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Tried to like, but unceasingly forced and unfunny. Weak writing, trite characters. It should get yanked.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Not pulled at all. It didn't air last night because 30 Rock was turned into a 60 minute episode. The episode that was scheduled for 1/31, "Frosting/Nixon", is now scheduled for 2/7.

I think the show is funny and so is Josh Gad.

Think whatever you like about Gad, who is about to tarnish any history of Wozniak, I fear.

But no, the show was pulled just a couple days ago for a double run of The Office (another show they are trying to burn off quickly), which is a panic move by NBC, and DirecTV also no longer shows any episode for 2/7. The two 30 Rocks were scheduled long before they yanked 1600. It was scheduled in the The Office hour, not in the 30 Rock hour. Parks and Rec is what was bumped for the 30 Rock. It's done. And Gad is definitely the reason why.

Edited by TomCat, 02 February 2013 - 07:45 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I don't know if Josh Gad is funny or not as I have no idea who he is (even after looking him up on IMDB). I also don't know the status of 1600 Penn, but I decided not to even give it a try after seeing the promos which looked terrible.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Think whatever you like about Gad, who is about to tarnish any history of Wozniak, I fear.

But no, the show was pulled just a couple days ago for a double run of The Office (another show they are trying to burn off quickly), which is a panic move by NBC, and DirecTV also no longer shows any episode for 2/7. The two 30 Rocks were scheduled long before they yanked 1600. It was scheduled in the The Office hour, not in the 30 Rock hour. It's done. And Gad is definitely the reason why.

So you have nothing to back up your claims that it has been dropped. Got it.
DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

So you have nothing to back up your claims that it has been dropped. Got it.

Please.

In the interest of full disclosure and setting the record straight, here is exactly what I said:

It looks like this has been mercifully yanked. Or at least benched for sweeps...

You can look that up. BTW, we're neither of us exactly under oath here, so chill, counselor.

Now how is that a "claim" that I need to "back up"? I didn't "claim" anything; I just made an observance that it falls into a highly-predictable pattern of how "dropped" manifests. NBC doesn't hold a press conference to trumpet a cancellation; you have to read between the lines. The show is so bad and is so sure to be cancelled that it isn't even newsworthy to report it.

Let's put our car titles in escrow, and in the end we'll see who ends up taking the bus. Hide and watch; it's toast.

Did you "get" that?

#9 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Please.

In the interest of full disclosure and setting the record straight, here is exactly what I said:

You can look that up. BTW, we're neither of us exactly under oath here, so chill, counselor.

Now how is that a "claim" that I need to "back up"? I didn't "claim" anything; I just made an observance that it falls into a highly-predictable pattern of how "dropped" manifests. NBC doesn't hold a press conference to trumpet a cancellation; you have to read between the lines. The show is so bad and is so sure to be cancelled that it isn't even newsworthy to report it.

Let's put our car titles in escrow, and in the end we'll see who ends up taking the bus. Hide and watch; it's toast.

Did you "get" that?

As I said...nothing to back it up. Nothing to indicate what you claimed is accurate.
DTV = Digital Television

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Considering he didn't write "Jobs" I'd hardly hold him responsible for tarnishing anything. And FYI, in an article Wozniak loved Josh's performance but has issues with the "facts" portrayed in the movie.

But no, the show was pulled just a couple days ago for a double run of The Office (another show they are trying to burn off quickly), which is a panic move by NBC, and DirecTV also no longer shows any episode for 2/7. The two 30 Rocks were scheduled long before they yanked 1600. It was scheduled in the The Office hour, not in the 30 Rock hour. Parks and Rec is what was bumped for the 30 Rock. It's done. And Gad is definitely the reason why.

How is burning off The Office a panic move? You do realize this is the final season right?

Oh, and all of my DirecTV units still show the 2/7 episode AND 2/14 episode. It hasn't been "yanked".

You may want to visit thefutoncritic.com where you get actual facts, in a timely manner, because wherever you get your "facts" from is incorrect.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

As I said...nothing to back it up. Nothing to indicate what you claimed is accurate.

Maybe you missed the part where I explained that I claimed nothing. I stated how things appeared to me. That's known as a guess. I have no facts, and never claimed that I did, only a lot of clues. I made no determination, and no claim. Not every musing on the internet is a claim of fact. I was trying to start a conversation, not defend my honor to a load of internet haters.

It must be a small and pitiful mind that is so desperate to raise their own low self-esteem by contemplating the imaginary sins of someone they don't even know.

Nobody cares if my guess is accurate or not (other than you), least of all me. How could that even matter to you, unless you are the executive producer trying to hang on by your fingernails? Seems somehow important to you for some reason I can't even begin to fathom. And if you are the EP of this mess, good luck ever trying to get a similar job again.

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Considering he didn't write "Jobs" I'd hardly hold him responsible for tarnishing anything. And FYI, in an article Wozniak loved Josh's performance but has issues with the "facts" portrayed in the movie.

How is burning off The Office a panic move? You do realize this is the final season right?...

Wow. Just how thick can people be? Are they still selling leaded gas out there? Is it really that fun to live over a Sherwin-Williams store and inhale the fumes just for giggles on a hot summer day? The number of people with reading comprehension below a 3rd-grade level on the internet is just frightening.

First, actors are often held accountable for their performances, probably more often than the writers are.

Second, what makes anyone think I said burning off The Office is a panic move? If one had paid attention in remedial English class in Junior College, one would have realized that it was a simple declarative sentence, and that what I said is that yanking 1600, whether it really is yanked or isn't yanked, is the apparent panic move. "The show [1600 Penn] was pulled...which is a panic move..." There, does that simplify it enough to grasp? That's really not that hard to understand no matter how pointed anyone's little head might be. And yes, I do realize that this is the final season of The Office, and that they want to push those eps through and get it off the air as soon as they can, hopefully before the May book, thus the double run. Everyone knows that Steve Carrell WAS The Office, and that it has stayed at the party way too long with no one at the helm; they are only doing this season to maximize syndication money. But my reference to The Office is only germane to any "yanking" of 1600 in the respect that it opened a hole that needed filling, it has nothing at all to do with the fate of 1600 other than that. It was just that simple, and I'm sorry that no one could comprehend that. Mind-boggling.

Third, yes, I commented on Gad potentially tarnishing the Wozniak legacy. The jury is actually still out on that, BTW. I didn't imply whether it would be because of a bad performance or bad writing, or bad anything. You connected those imaginary dots all on your own, pardner.

Of course Woz is going to praise Gad, Woz is the nicest person in the world and would praise a wet mop if it were cast in that role. That does nothing to validate Gad either positive or negative. What's he gonna do? Act like some of the people on this thread and trash Gad and everything in sight?

It is just really depressing how easily some folks are confused by what should be completely obvious. Maybe I should jingle a set of keys as a distraction.

When I don't like any of the characters in a TV show, I stop watching. Likewise, I think there's probably a good reason why this conversation right here might be over, at least for me. Rail on, but you will be talking to the hand.

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Nothing was ever "yanked" and it is still on for 2/7 as well. No truth to the OP's claims whatsoever.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

"Yanking" the show for this week (January 31st) made sense ... it would have been a weaker lead in for the new show NBC was pushing: Do No Harm. The final hour of 30 Rock followed by a hour of new The Office gave the new show a better chance ... yet it was still one of the poorest rated in-season premiers of any show on the four major networks - ever.

1600 Penn is scheduled for next Thursday. It has a chance for survival - at least on NBC.

#15 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

I'm really enjoying this show. Very fun stuff.

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

I'm really enjoying this show. Very fun stuff.

Same here. I guess some people just don't like to laugh. Oh well, their loss. I personally enjoy watching mindless "stupid" comedy from time to time, takes my mind of real issues for a while. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Yes, agreed. Also, it is good to see the 'real', behind-the-scenes White House in action. The show is so-o-o realistic, I am surprised the Secret Service hasn't tried to shut it down (or up?). Mix Animal House, Need To Know and West Wing and you get 1600 Penn & Teller. :scratch:

Laugh if you must, but not too loudly - the First Dog might be taking a nap.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Nick, 03 February 2013 - 09:41 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

We watched two episodes and didn't really like it. We deleted our timer.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Same here. I guess some people just don't like to laugh. Oh well, their loss. I personally enjoy watching mindless "stupid" comedy from time to time, takes my mind of real issues for a while. :)

I would put it into the same category as Parks & Rec and 30 Rock as being a mindless comedy. I don't know how those two shows survived ... perhaps it is because they are like traffic accidents and people like to gawk.

NBC could air a half hour of their bird logo changing color. Or some "reality" or game show like "take it all" ... or something mildly amusing. 1600 Penn is mildly amusing.

Perhaps they need to produce a show that is a mix of Bridesmades, The Hangover, Hot Tub Time Machine and other comedy movies? If they could get it past the network standards. People like that stuff and somehow Two and a Half Men has survived.

#20 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I would put it into the same category as Parks & Rec and 30 Rock as being a mindless comedy. I don't know how those two shows survived ... perhaps it is because they are like traffic accidents and people like to gawk.

NBC could air a half hour of their bird logo changing color. Or some "reality" or game show like "take it all" ... or something mildly amusing. 1600 Penn is mildly amusing.

Perhaps they need to produce a show that is a mix of Bridesmades, The Hangover, Hot Tub Time Machine and other comedy movies? If they could get it past the network standards. People like that stuff and somehow Two and a Half Men has survived.

Interesting that I don't watch any of the TV shows you mention, and I've never watched any of those movies, either. And I like "reality" as long as they don't deal in shorelines, big boobs, wedding dresses or anything-Kardashian. :P
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...