Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1600 Penn

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

I also don't know the status of 1600 Penn, but I decided not to even give it a try after seeing the promos which looked terrible.

I agree with this.

I try not to judge an entire show based on the promos, but if the material in the promos was the best material they could use to attract viewers, it certainly wasn't the right show for me. Most promos are simply neutral to me, but the 1600 Penn promos were literally cringe-inducing.

It looks like a bad ABC TGIF premise more than a prominent modern comedy.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Might as well watch Chris Farley and David Spade in Black Sheep if you like political-related embarrassing humor.

To me the 1600 Penn actors are trying to hard to be funny rather than the story and writing being funny. The acting by the fat guy (Gad?) and (sadly) Bill Pullman is especially cringe-worthy.

Oh well, there's lots of other stuff on, and I've only got time to watch a small percentage of it so this one moves way down the queue.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#23 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I agree with this.

I try not to judge an entire show based on the promos, but if the material in the promos was the best material they could use to attract viewers, it certainly wasn't the right show for me. Most promos are simply neutral to me, but the 1600 Penn promos were literally cringe-inducing.

It looks like a bad ABC TGIF premise more than a prominent modern comedy.

I've long ago learned not to judge anything by its promo, especially a new TV series, where the promos are usually made up of scenes from the first two episodes or so. Most if not all shows keep getting better as they go along.

#24 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I tried trying the first episode and I had to give up on it. It was just awkward to watch.

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Look what's on tonight and hasn't been "yanked."

Attached Thumbnails

• image-2295466096.jpg

DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have not watched this show, but I agree completely with TomCat about Mr. Gad. He fits into that same category as Breckin Meyer and Mark Feuerstein, comedians who are tossed from show to show because the comedy "establishment" thinks they are funny when they aren't. Sometimes, like Ty Burrell, they finally land a show where they can shine. Sometimes they don't.

At any rate, Mr. Gad's "look at me, I'm acting like a 4-year-old" schtick doesn't work at all for me. I certainly wish that the makers of jOBS had chosen someone else but then again I'm not overly fond of Mr. Kutcher either and he seems to embody the late Mr. Jobs, at least in pictures.

Despite having seen far too many dramas and comedies about the President (including Independence Day when Mr. Pullman also played the President) I would have given this one a chance had it not been for the photos showing Mr. Gad looking like a cartoon character bouncing about in the background.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Well my DVR recorded a 2/7 episode. Funny, I could have sworn someone said it was "yanked". Hmmmm...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   astrohip

astrohip

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Let's drop the hissy fits and discuss the show... :grin:

It's terrible. I killed my Season Pass. Too much of Josh Gad. I thought it was an ensemble sitcom, but it appears to be the JG show. And honestly, he's not funny enough to carry this show.

If they mixed him in with all the others, it might actually be decent. But with 80% of the show being Josh, it's just too much. He appears to be trying too hard. Doesn't matter if he is or not, he *appears* to be. His over-the-top style doesn't make sense with a show like this--seriously, it's hard to have a White House based sitcom when one character plays a clown. You can't "buy into the concept".

I'd put my money on this show being killed sooner rather than later.

Too bad, I love me some Jenna Elfman.

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Too much of Josh Gad.

Not surprising considering he is the co-creator and executive producer.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I was hoping for more of an ensemble show when I first saw the previews ... but it does seem to be the Josh Gad Project.

BTW: It was odd to see the Valentines episode of The Office last week. Obviously moving up an episode to provide a better lead in to the premier of "Do No Harm" threw the schedule off by a week.

1600 Penn is off again this week for an hour long episode of the office.

#31 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

An admittedly small amount of research has failed to unearth any reason that Mr. Gad would have what it takes to executive produce a show, a task that often requires a decent amount of money or a good number of connections. He seems to be friends with Bryce Dallas Howard and possibly with the creators of The Book of Mormon.

Given my perception of his skill I had expected him to be the child of influential parents or to have close Hollywood friends.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#32 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

I don't know what it is I'm missing but I'm enjoying this show. Shrug.

spam firewall