Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about the genie?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JB292

JB292

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry about being a newbie again, but my job has taken me out of the country for the last couple years. I'm only home for a month, before I go back to Afghanistan.

Anways, I live in the Huntsville, Al area, where there is a DirecTV customer service center, and have acquired my receivers as owned. I have the opportunity to buy an owned Genie. I do not have a Swm system. What I do have hooked up at the moment is 2 r15's, and 2 HD Dvr's. What would I need to add the genie to my account? Is it even possible with the R15's?

thanks again, sorry if this question has been asked repeatedly, but my time is extremely limited, and I don't have time to read multiple threads to find the answer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

With the Genie you would need to upgrade to a SWM setup. Due to the amount of tuners you have, you could easily upgrade to a SWM16. With the SWM16, there are legacy ports so you could still use your R15. This is not a supported setup by DirecTV though. If they come out and do the install, they will replace a R15 with a R16. The SWM16 does have 4 legacy ports so you can keep using both R15s if you want.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 01 February 2013 - 11:48 PM.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   JB292

JB292

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I would be doing this myself. So I could buy the SWM 16 for $98. http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B003Z8TEF6

Would I need a different LNB?

From what I remember about SWM, it only needs one coax to each receiver, except for the legacy R15's?

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I would be doing this myself. So I could buy the SWM 16 for $98. http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B003Z8TEF6

Would I need a different LNB?

From what I remember about SWM, it only needs one coax to each receiver, except for the legacy R15's?

Correct. Replace your current multi-switch with the SWM16. You will also need a PI for the SWM and with the 2 other HD-DVRs you will need at least one 2-way splitter (green label). Also, you'll want DECA adapters for the HD-DVRs (if not HR24s) so they will be accessible for Whole Home. If you want to use your home network for MRV, you won't need the DECAs, but I believe you will need a Band Stop Filter for the SWM leg that the HD-DVRs are on. This is to keep the DECA signal from the Genie from hitting the HD-DVRs since they don't have DECAs.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...