Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weird call from DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Today I had a weird call from DirecTV.

A DirecTV agent called me telling me that they have a promotion for equipment upgrade. I was happy thinking that they want to offer me HR34. The person on the phone asked me how many TVs I had at home, I said 3 HDTVs. He asked, and you have 3 DVR boxes? I said yes, and then he replied, thank you for being with DirecTV and hung up.

I guess I did not give the right answer.

Anyone else had same sort of call?

Cheers,
Alex

Edited by Alexandrepsf, 02 February 2013 - 12:28 AM.

DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

Nope, but if it were me. I would call dtv to see if you do have any promotions available for the hr34.

#3 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Sounds more like someone setting you up for a home robbery. DirecTV would know how many DVRs you have.

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Yep, that wasn't Directv.

#5 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,368 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Sounds like a scam or setup for a robbery. DTV knows how many DVRs / receivers you have in operation.
It is a shame that it has gotten to this. I don't answer about half the time my phone rings unless my caller ID identifies the caller with something that looks reasonable.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

why would someone go thru all the troubles just to steal an DVR?
If they do steal it it the OP will call directv ,report it stolen,directv will deactivate it and render it useless ,yes?

#7 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

why would someone go thru all the troubles just to steal an DVR?
If they do steal it it the OP will call directv ,report it stolen,directv will deactivate it and render it useless ,yes?

Doh -
What is attached to a directv DVR ?do People with 3 HD TV's have IPODS, IPADS Computers?

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#8 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

They want the HDTV's attached to the DVR's would be my guess.

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Sounds more like someone setting you up for a home robbery. DirecTV would know how many DVRs you have.

Sounds like a scam or setup for a robbery. DTV knows how many DVRs / receivers you have in operation.

Umm, sounds to me like they knew how many DVR's he had, just not how many TV's.

He asked, and you have 3 DVR boxes? I said yes, and then he replied, thank you for being with DirecTV and hung up.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

It was DIrecTV. #(516)453-6809

To answer to the last poster, I used to have 3 DVRs with 2 TVs. About 3 month ago I called and asked if there is any promo HR34 for existing customers, there was none, but I was told that I will be contacted if anything comes up.

Now I am not sure if I should call to see if the promo was real or wait for HR44.
DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#11 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

They want the HDTV's attached to the DVR's would be my guess.

I do not think that they would tell me that they have an upgrade promotion for me just to get me to say how many TVs I have.
DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

DirecTV farms out some promotional sales. These people have limited access to account information,.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

the only thing I could see with this is if they were promoting a whole home upgrade. Otherwise the number of DVRs wouldn't matter. Actually don't anyway since I have 3 HR24s networked with an HR34. Such a targeted offer doesn't make sense anyway. I'd call and ask. A lot of the time when a promo call is made they note the account if the account holder accepted or not.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#14 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

I have four HD DVRs and was offered a free "upgrade". When I asked for a 34, they quoted me roughly $250. Didn't sound free to me. All they would do is replace on of my existing HRs and couldn't guarantee which model. Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me.

#15 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

It was DIrecTV. #(516)453-6809

that is a Nassau, NY landline number. It may be a hired promotional company but I'm pretty sure it's not DTV proper.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#16 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

So, I called tonight and asked an agent if they could tell me if I had an offer on my account. He saw an offer to upgrade to HR34 on my account. I told him that the person who called me did not even say what it was but he did not tell me report of the first agent.

Long story short, I am getting an upgrade to HR34. :o)

In my original post I failed to mention one other question that I was asked which now I think was the deal breaker. The first agent asked me if I want to upgrade equipment or add a new receiver and my answer was that if I get a good equipment upgrade offer it would be to replace one of my existing receivers. The agent tonight asked me the same question and I answered same way. But by his long pause I got the feeling that the answer could affect their decision of offering you the promotion.
DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#17 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

DirecTV farms out some promotional sales. These people have limited access to account information,.

Yes but not for existing customers. The outbound call centers like convergys have account info access and they can see how many recievers you have and what type they are. Whenever you call or DTV calls it generates a communications event. Call and ask if directv called me. I am going to say no as at Directv, we do not do that. If you get a weird call do not answer the questions and hang up.

#18 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Even when I originate a call to DirecTV to the regular number, I'm not always sure who I'm taking to knows anything about the # of boxes, model #s, or programming package I have.

How times do you have to repeat information to them? And despite notating the account, when you're transferred, you start over from square one with what ever you've called about. I don't know how much information is displayed on their computer screens at one time, but I would say not too much. I don't know if they have to scroll or punch up new pages all the time, but it takes a while for them to confirm things that I might think would be on their screen all the time. I never blame the CSRs, it seems the software on their computers is very limited in what it can do at one time and how fast it can do it.

I have jokingly advised the CSRs to look for a little hatch on the lower right corner of their computers, open it, and hold down the red reset button for 10 seconds many, many times. If they are really having major trouble, I advise them to unplug their work station from the electrical outlet, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it in again.

:lol:

We all have to seek the humor in these challenges, otherwise it would be too much to deal with.

#19 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

How times do you have to repeat information to them? And despite notating the account, when you're transferred, you start over from square one with what ever you've called about. I don't know how much information is displayed on their computer screens at one time, but I would say not too much. I don't know if they have to scroll or punch up new pages all the time, but it takes a while for them to confirm things that I might think would be on their screen all the time. I never blame the CSRs, it seems the software on their computers is very limited in what it can do at one time and how fast it can do it.

The systems are fine....have you ever heard of the game "Whisper"...the first person whispers only once to the person next to them and they in turn whisper what they think they heard to the person next to them? The same thing happens in this situations ...and thats not counting the people that try to duck service calls or replacements because it counts against them, and in turn falsify notes.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall