Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR34/C31 and diplexer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkal25

jkal25

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

I recently upgraded my workhorse HR20's to a Genie and two C31's. In the Boston market, I can get some additional channels off-air using the AM21 with the HR34 (additional PBS's mostly).

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with diplexers and the C31's. I've had the setup for a week or so, and the C31's were working great, and last night I added the diplexer to the HR34, and the C31's still connected fine, so I thought I was out of the woods, but last night actually watching TV off a C31 for a period of time, the image would periodically (and apparently randomly) freeze for a second to three. At one time, the C31 said it couldn't find the server and it came back a few seconds later. I'm guessing it's related to the diplexer I added (to get my antenna to the AM21). I've had no problem watching TV on the HR34. As of now, I just have the diplexer inline and no antenna connected (that was to be today's project).

Does anyone have any experience using one diplexer over another, or using one with a HR34/C31 combo? The one I have now is labeled 40-2150MHz, but i noticed the 8-way splitter that was recently installed is labeled 2-2150Mhz, but I have no idea where the HR34/C31 communication happens to know if that low end would cause this issue.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

- Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

That you've gotten it to work at all shows the diplexer is of poor quality.
The coax networking signal is in the OTA band/range, so with a quality diplexer, it would not pass to the C31.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   jkal25

jkal25

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Well, I guess that answers it - the coax networking being in the OTA range kills that.

Is there a reference that lists the frequencies used for the coax networking? It looks like 500-600MHz?

I guess it's a second cable then for the off air...

Thank you.

#4 ONLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

You shouldn't need diplexers at all. If the AM21 is connected to the HR34, and OTA channels setup, the C31's can see those OTA channels as well.

Edit: this assumes there is a separate coax from the antenna to the AM21.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Edit: this assumes there is a separate coax from the antenna to the AM21.

Which I think is the OP's issue…:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...